Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:

More
14 Apr 2015 23:34 #667996 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:

Gjason89 wrote: Just a simple back fire with black smoke from mufflers and a puff or some sort threw the carbs!!!

Try switching the coils first. you may have 1-4 firing on 2-3 and sparking on the induction stroke which will explain the puff out of the carbs..

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 02:29 #668001 by kz1100warrior
Replied by kz1100warrior on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
i agree , check your wires to the coils, if you getting backfire that is the main cause.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2015 06:34 #668015 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
Yup, the simple things first. Even if it does fire up, you will need to check the valves at some point.
Steve

More
15 Apr 2015 10:25 #668067 by Gjason89
Replied by Gjason89 on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
I spoke to a mechanic teacher that I have and he to thinks that there is a possibility that it could be the valve clearances! What does everyone think? Is it possible that they aren't set right and the valves are not closing or opening right .!?

More
15 Apr 2015 11:25 - 15 Apr 2015 18:16 #668069 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
Verify the ignition wiring first. Since some rewiring was done & a replacement igniter was installed, make sure the pulsing coil & igniter etc are wired correctly.
loudhvx's motorcycle stuff page has 550 wiring diagrams.
The 82 KZ550-C3 seems to be wired the same as my 81 650-H1:

1-2-3-4 left-to-right sitting on the bike.

Right side coil = 1-4 -->> red wire & black wire
Left side coil = 2-3 -->> red wire & green wire

PS: the valve clearance should be checked as some point in time, whether or not the issue is resolved before you have a chance to do the check.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 18:16 by martin_csr.

More
15 Apr 2015 11:47 #668071 by wizardmc
Replied by wizardmc on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
Check valve clearance
These are interference fit engines,
so with all of your trying to get this thing started if your cam timing was off you might have bent a valve. Are you checking compression on all cylinders or just the ones that are easiest to get to? Maybe your teacher friend can loan you a compression gauge or show you how to do the check. Get factory manuel or at least Hayes or Clymer. Good luck

77 KZ1000A1
TTU,Texas

More
15 Apr 2015 12:17 #668076 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:

Gjason89 wrote: :angry: 1982 ltd 550!!
Im fed up with doing all this research asking all these questions doing all these things cleaning carbs checking for spark even made a new simple wire harness that came out pretty good purchased used but fairly new ic igniter even got a Cdi off eBay since I didn't have one new spark plugs new cables!!! Checked timing with piston at top dead center even new pulsed coils!!!! And still I get not even a studder of it coming back to life!!!! Just a simple back fire with black smoke from mufflers and a puff or some sort threw the carbs!!! Compression seems good !! Ps when I turn the engine threw the ignition magnet it turns pretty stiff then at some point it gets fairly easier than rest . I'm to the point were considering I have no money and no job since I my last bike was stolen and crashed!!! I'm beginning to think that I'll have to find a way and pay a motorcycle shop!!! This bike needs to be running soon I've already gotten new gas tank got it painted and ready got tires on the way too!!!

My first recommendation is slow down. Really you bought a new tank and had it painted before you had the engine working properly? Talk about putting the cart before the horse. The tires weren't good enough to leave on until you got the engine running justifying the expense? Perhaps there was a reason why you cleaned the carbs, made a wire harness, bought a used igniter, and bought new spark plugs and wires, Was there any indication that you actually needed to do any of this? Harbor Freight sells compression testers for cheap. Checking valve clearances cost nothing. Well maybe a new gasket if the clearances are fine or close enough to get the bike going. This experience should be a lesson to you. Next time you purchase a bike that is 30+ years old, spend as little as possible to get the bike running, and then spend more get it running very well.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
15 Apr 2015 15:32 #668100 by Gjason89
Replied by Gjason89 on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
I have done all that and have had no chance today in just a minute I'm going to head to the store and buy the measuring tool so I can try and adjust the valves and hope for a running engine ! If some one can guide threw what and how it is to be done I'd highly appreciate it this is about the last thing that it could be with out it being that I have just came to a dead end like all the other stuff I've done to it

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2015 15:41 #668102 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
You need a manual. Get a feeler gauge that goes down to .002 up. When you're ready, just ask how to do it. You'll still need a manual.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gjason89

More
15 Apr 2015 15:44 #668103 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
Another thing to take a look at prior to buying more stuff is the advancer and points. I own a 1000 but would assume they are very similar. It might be rusted and not moving. This might also cause the symptoms you are seeing.
Take the small round cover off on the right side of the engine,...it's dry so no oil will come out. Look in there and make sure the points look ok and the advancer actually moves.
Also another quick thing to look at is the clutch switch,...I think the clutch switch needs to be pushed in for the bike to start. Not sure what year this safety feature went in?

Just some other things to Look at if you are getting gas and spark.

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD

More
15 Apr 2015 15:50 #668105 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:
It seems like there's been a lot of $$$ spent, but unfortunately the very first item that should have been bought seems to have been overlooked. That is the Kawasaki Service Manual. It's worth it's weight in gold and will relieve your frustrations to some degree by enabling you to diagnose and correct problems with your bike. No one has ever regretted buying one.

I highly recommend you buy one before spending any more $$$ on other parts, etc. They usually can be found on eBay; just be sure to get one that covers you bike's exact year and model as there are differences. I wouldn't recommend Clymer or Haynes; get the real deal. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Apr 2015 16:08 - 15 Apr 2015 16:10 #668106 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry:

Gjason89 wrote: I have done all that and have had no chance today in just a minute I'm going to head to the store and buy the measuring tool so I can try and adjust the valves and hope for a running engine ! If some one can guide threw what and how it is to be done I'd highly appreciate it this is about the last thing that it could be with out it being that I have just came to a dead end like all the other stuff I've done to it

You're in such a hurry you don't even have time for punctuation? Commas, periods, and shorter sentences would improve your written communication quite a bit.

You seem to have neither tools, nor adequate knowledge about your bike to be working on it without a service manual. Several people have told you to purchase a service manual. Get one. For my KZ1000 I was able to download one for free online. I don't know if you would have such luck searching on Google, but give it a try. Until you get the service manual just relax. I find that beer helps.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 16:10 by jakedude.