How to hook up an oil cooler

More
10 Feb 2015 23:09 #661234 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic How to hook up an oil cooler
I'm thinking of mounting a cooler UNDER my engine. lying flat. Hoses would come from behind the cylinders, straight back and wrap around the back of the engine (if they will fit). I want it relatively hidden for a simple look. Is there any problem with this setup? The cooler would be lower than everything rather than higher as usual. I know it won't get as much air. Any thoughts?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2015 00:00 #661235 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic How to hook up an oil cooler

Nelson wrote: I'm thinking of mounting a cooler UNDER my engine. lying flat. Hoses would come from behind the cylinders, straight back and wrap around the back of the engine (if they will fit). I want it relatively hidden for a simple look. Is there any problem with this setup? The cooler would be lower than everything rather than higher as usual. I know it won't get as much air. Any thoughts?

Hardly any point in fitting one if mounted like that.
The air needs to flow through the cores fins to carry away the heat.
The only way to run it like that would be to attach an air scoop to turn the air through 90 degrees and you need space at the other side of the cooler for the air to escape otherwise it will just dam up and the heat will not dissipate.
The whole set up would end up requiring more space, be more noticeable and still not work as well as just mounting the coolers as normal.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Feb 2015 06:20 #661254 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic How to hook up an oil cooler
The coolers look hot. Being under the frame, I'd be concerned of rocks or road debris hitting it.
Steve

More
11 Feb 2015 06:37 #661258 by 123vucku
Replied by 123vucku on topic How to hook up an oil cooler
Personally I think oil coolers look cool

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
11 Feb 2015 09:51 #661284 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic How to hook up an oil cooler
I've also thought about putting it where the airbox used to be. I saw somebody here doing that on a project bike. Not a lot of flow there either tho.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
11 Feb 2015 10:52 - 11 Feb 2015 10:55 #661285 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic How to hook up an oil cooler

Nelson wrote: I've also thought about putting it where the airbox used to be. I saw somebody here doing that on a project bike. Not a lot of flow there either tho.

I have a cooler mounted where the airbox/battery used to be on my Z1R.
There is plenty of air flow there but only if you run with no side panels.
[IMG

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 10:55 by zed1015.