Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

More
04 Jul 2014 06:29 #638873 by tommyboah
Disaster-->My cam-chain broke was created by tommyboah
After finishing my bike about a month ago, I've been out riding and enjoying myself. A couple of days ago, the sun was shining and I fired up the bike and as it was warming up on the kick stand the engine came to a stop with a "clonk" :blink: I was hoping it was not anything serious, but from the sound of it it sounded expensive. Grinding the motor carefully with a terrible rattling sound confirmed that it was the cam chain. Why the f*!@ did this happen I ask myself?

The most obvious reason to me is the tension of the chain. I have felt unsure about the adjustment of the manual APE cam chain tensioner. I've heard and read that you are supposed to finger tighten it until and then back of one turn and it then be right. The problem is that this bad boy is so tightly stuck under the carbs that it can be a pain to adjust it without removing the carbs.

Here are some (not too good) photos of the current state of the APE cam tensioner. Can anyone see from this, if I have tightned it too much or too little?

.Tommyboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2014 06:51 #638875 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
Sorry to hear about this tommyboah. :(

Those chains are super hard to break. Did you use a one piece chain or was a master-link used?

More
04 Jul 2014 08:56 - 04 Jul 2014 08:56 #638885 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
You cannot tighten it by hand enough to break the chain. Was the chain making noise prior to the break. As mentioned the cam chains are very strong.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2014 08:56 by baldy110.

More
04 Jul 2014 09:32 #638888 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
Put a stock tensioner back on there. :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Jul 2014 09:34 #638889 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic Sv: Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

baldy110 wrote: You cannot tighten it by hand enough to break the chain. Was the chain making noise prior to the break. As mentioned the cam chains are very strong.

The chain didn't break while I was adjusting the tensioner ;) I guess the chain might have been making some noise, a little hard to tell as the engine is not exactly noiseless to begin with.

I figure it would be easier to break a chain if it was to loose rather than too tight? If it was to tight wouldn't it simply wear through the rubber damper on tensioner?

The cam chain had only run about 300 miles as it was new when the engine was reassembled. Don't know if it is and endless chain or with a master link though, as I had a shop assemble the lower part of the engine. I will need to lock more closely at it. What I did see when disassembling the top last night was that the chain seemed to be physically broken, it was not a rivet that had simply fallen out.

I need to figure out why this happened so that I can prevent this from happening again.

.Tommyboy

More
04 Jul 2014 09:40 #638891 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Sv: Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
See if theres a brand name stamped on the links of the chain,probably a cheap Chinese chain they sold you. :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Jul 2014 10:45 #638893 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Sv: Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
I would say its impossible for it to break at idle. Might have been too loose and let off throttle and it kinked. Need a picture of the chain
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
04 Jul 2014 14:35 - 04 Jul 2014 14:37 #638904 by peter1958
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2014 14:37 by peter1958. Reason: picture

More
04 Jul 2014 14:55 #638905 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic Sv: Re:Sv: Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

peter1958 wrote:

I took a picture of my adjuster.

Thanks Pete for sharing your photo. Mine sure seems a lot more loose than yours. I bet there must have been too much slack and this made it break? The weirdest thing is that this happened while on the kick stand at 1500rpms warming up at no load. Maybe it had already started to go and this was enough to make it break?

.Tommyboy

More
04 Jul 2014 14:56 #638906 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Sv: Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
Did the shop pull the engine out of the frame and split the crankcases, or just work on the top-end?

I adjust my manual cam chain tensioners with the valve cover off. I want to ensure the cam chain is tensioned properly - and it's easy to do after adjusting the tensioner by turning the crank forwards and then reversing while watching the cam chain and cams. You can see slack very quickly if there is any.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
04 Jul 2014 15:15 #638908 by peter1958

More
04 Jul 2014 15:44 #638910 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
If it is a KZ1000R2 motor, thats a Hy-vo cam chain.

Does anyone even make a heavy-duty cam chain for those motors???

I never saw any listed to my memory

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.