Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

More
08 Jul 2014 20:08 #639374 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
If it was me I would stay away from master links on cam chains.....I know this means splitting the cases but my personal opinion is that is safest.....you also can check up on any internal wear items that much easier

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2014 20:20 - 08 Jul 2014 20:28 #639378 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

kaw-a-holic wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote: Yours uses the old style chain,did they sell you an install tool with it for master link?

No. So I guess that is my answer. I will buy a masterlink installation tool. TY

Ive never actually done myself,thats why Im just guessing there has to be something involved other than just pounding on the pins to hold it together.
Im going to do a little investigating also. ;)
Heres what z1 enterprises lists for a cam chain tool,around $90.00

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2014 20:28 by PLUMMEN.

More
09 Jul 2014 03:50 #639400 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
You can buy the same kit in auction web sites for $25.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
09 Jul 2014 06:27 #639410 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
I happen to know of a guy that used a master link in his cam chain when he rebuilt his 77 KZ1000. He used the rivet tool pictured above and worked fine. The only thing I (I mean "he") advises is to not go crazy with the tool. It's easy to go to tight and bind up the link. I ( I mean "he") has several thousand miles on the motor now with no issues. ;)

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
09 Jul 2014 09:42 - 09 Jul 2014 09:43 #639426 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
I am looking at getting the parts for rebuilding my engine, and I have been looking at the cam chains that are available. I cannot find any cam chains that are endless, other than from a sketchy shop on e-bay:

I do have a cam chain that has been used only for 500 miles or so, that was installed by my local Kawasaki shop before I rebuilt my engine the first time. It looks to be of decent quality (DID and Japan stamped on it), and it cannot be much worn from this low mileage? Here is a picture of the chain (a little dusty though):

Only thing i find strange is the way they riveted it. Looks a bit unprofessional, but I guess they rivet a lot of cam chains at this Kawasaki shop, so they must know that this will hold up.

Another alternative is to buy one (K&L is it?) from Z1 Enterprises with a master link and rivet it myself:

i already have the chain-breaker and rivet tool (Motion Pro) from Z1 Enterprises.

What do you think guys? Should I stick with my old chain with 500 miles on it already riveted, or should i start from scratch with a new one?

.Tommyboy
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 09:43 by tommyboah.

More
09 Jul 2014 10:48 #639432 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
The stock Kawasaki endless cam chain is shown as still available.

It isn't real cheap, but it is of good quality.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

More
09 Jul 2014 10:57 #639433 by PLUMMEN

tommyboah wrote: I am looking at getting the parts for rebuilding my engine, and I have been looking at the cam chains that are available. I cannot find any cam chains that are endless, other than from a sketchy shop on e-bay:

I do have a cam chain that has been used only for 500 miles or so, that was installed by my local Kawasaki shop before I rebuilt my engine the first time. It looks to be of decent quality (DID and Japan stamped on it), and it cannot be much worn from this low mileage? Here is a picture of the chain (a little dusty though):

Only thing i find strange is the way they riveted it. Looks a bit unprofessional, but I guess they rivet a lot of cam chains at this Kawasaki shop, so they must know that this will hold up.

Another alternative is to buy one (K&L is it?) from Z1 Enterprises with a master link and rivet it myself:

i already have the chain-breaker and rivet tool (Motion Pro) from Z1 Enterprises.

What do you think guys? Should I stick with my old chain with 500 miles on it already riveted, or should i start from scratch with a new one?

That's pretty crude looking to put it mildly. :unsure:
If you check with brian/kz1006 about a crank have him check the cam chain out of the motor he gets the crank from,If its original and doesn't show much wear and is within the service limits Id stick it in there with the stock tensioner. :)

More
09 Jul 2014 11:57 #639443 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
Looks like they used a screwdriver & a hammer :laugh: :laugh:
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
09 Jul 2014 12:15 #639448 by PLUMMEN
I was thinking a hammer and chisel! :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :blink: :woohoo: