Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

More
08 Jul 2014 04:27 - 08 Jul 2014 04:48 #639232 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
Could you post a picture of the exhaust side slipper shoe and the crank shaft teeth?

Attachment link1.jpg not found

Attachment link2.jpg not found

A loose hyvo chain will often make a knocking noise. It won't generally make a rattle sound because of the rubber shoes that it runs against. The knocking sound is evident at idle especially.

Was your motor making that sound before the chain broke?

It's difficult to say exactly what happened here. The ends of the broken links do not have a sharp, clean break look. In the first picture it looks like the two inner most links let go first and the outside link held for a while before it broke. Then you have the other link in the second picture coming apart as well ...

Larry C.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2014 04:48 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2014 05:11 #639237 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

floivanus wrote: Basically need a crank or pay someone to take there's apart, ship it to you and get a shop to take your crank apart and press the new center in align it and check everything.

Poor elr

+1
First the frame; then the bodywork; now the engine. Sad.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jul 2014 07:33 #639250 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

LarryC wrote: Could you post a picture of the exhaust side slipper shoe and the crank shaft teeth?

I will take photos later on today and post them.

A loose hyvo chain will often make a knocking noise. It won't generally make a rattle sound because of the rubber shoes that it runs against. The knocking sound is evident at idle especially.

Was your motor making that sound before the chain broke?

My engine was making that sound before the chain broke, escpecially at idle speed, so I think you are spot on with your description. The sound didn't happen very often though, I think I might have heard it only 5 times or so in total.

I guess the chain has either broken from hitting the teeth on the cam sprocket or cam shaft sprocket, or it can also have happened from snagging on the knob on the front inside of the head as shown in previous photo.

.Tommyboy

More
08 Jul 2014 08:38 #639262 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
That damage to inside of head could have been from after chain broke, the damage appears to have started on the gear side of chain.
Check that pm I sent you when you first posted about the chain, then check the gears. :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Jul 2014 11:08 #639283 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
To to hi-jack the thread, I decided to replace my timing chain while I had the jugs and head of. Bought a BK from Z1 with matching master link. Anything I need to be aware of here? I don't want to end up in the same situation. I'm using the stock adjuster

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
08 Jul 2014 11:28 #639287 by PLUMMEN
Yours uses the old style chain,did they sell you an install tool with it for master link?

More
08 Jul 2014 12:35 #639298 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
LarryC here are the photos of the guides along with the sprockets.
It was a bitch to get a good picture of the crankshaft sprocket with the cell phone, especially when it is still inside the crank case

Intake camshaft sprocket

Front guide has a nice long scratch in it, but no wear:

Top guide also has the same scratch in it:

The carb guide has no scratches and shows no sign of wear.

.Tommyboy
The following user(s) said Thank You: LarryC

More
08 Jul 2014 12:47 #639300 by PLUMMEN
I wonder if the scratch on top and front guide were from the chain being thrown forward with the piece of link pointing outward after the chain broke. :unsure:

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2014 13:36 - 08 Jul 2014 17:17 #639310 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke
WOW,

I look at that stout HYVO chain and then think about my smallish peanut link cam chain ......... kinda lost my appetite..
Last edit: 08 Jul 2014 17:17 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
08 Jul 2014 17:08 #639344 by LarryC

4TheKZ1000 wrote: WOW,

I look at that stout HIVO chain and then think about my smallish peanut link cam chain ......... kinda lost my appetite..

I hear you.... I have never seen a hyvo chain break. The troubling part is more than one spot coming apart. There is so much inferior crap getting into the market from China that it truly worries me. Check this out. I have seen a peanut chain from a big block 1327 motor that when through absolute hell and did not break.

The front idler sprocket was not turning half of the time. When they assembled the motor the bolt they used to hold the little slider shoe in the block was too tall. That in combination with the truly shitty machining they do for the idler sprockets in after market big blocks allowed the idler pin to move. In turn it would bind on the too tall bolt. The chain was skipping across the sprocket teeth!!

When the engine was torn down there were sections of the cam chain where 7 or 8 links were so bound up they would stand straight out like a pencil!....YET the chain took the punishment without breaking.

Larry C.

More
08 Jul 2014 17:11 #639345 by LarryC
Please... When you get the crank out post more picks of the sprocket and any other related damage you find. See if the main cap shows any sign that the chain was rubbing on it for a while. If so, then excessive looseness could be the source of the problem. I won't give an opinion on what caused the break until I have more clues to go by.

Larry C.

More
08 Jul 2014 17:23 #639348 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Disaster-->My cam-chain broke

PLUMMEN wrote: Yours uses the old style chain,did they sell you an install tool with it for master link?

No. So I guess that is my answer. I will buy a masterlink installation tool. TY

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project