anyone ever put a timsert in, after helicoil fail?

More
13 Jun 2014 05:09 #636434 by LarryC

KZ Rat wrote: Would definitely try running the tap for the standard insert in first- if you can get threads you might be better off with the smaller insert. The OD on the bigserts is pretty large- used one on my old beater 'yota truck and was thinking the bigsert might possibly interfere with your valve seats. Just a thought.....

Could have done that with the $19 kit ;) For years I've been told that fish was brain food.........Guess that theory just went out the window :woohoo:

Larry C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 05:41 - 13 Jun 2014 12:36 #636442 by 650ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 12:36 by 650ed.

More
13 Jun 2014 06:03 - 13 Jun 2014 06:35 #636443 by KZ Rat
Larry-the reason I had to go with the bigsert on the 'yota was it had a stripped out helicoil repair- in my instance the damage was beyond what a standard timesert would repair-hopefully his isn't that bad. The pic
s of the repaired head earlier in this thread look suspiciously like bigserts we use other than the color. Would suck to knock a valve seat free while running in the bigsert tap-don't think its going to happen but worth checking prior to attempting. Wish I had a head off to measure the distance between the valve seats- think the tap is going to be 18x1.50. That being said the valve side of the spark plug hole is going to be 2mm towards the valve seat-hopefully there is enough distance to allow this.

1979 ltd 1260 1980 ltd 1075 2005 450x for the desert
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 06:35 by KZ Rat. Reason: correction

More
13 Jun 2014 10:16 #636491 by peter1958

LarryC wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: I am going to take pics and do some measuring but I have thread fixer-not really a helicoil from a auto parts store that failed on my 900...I think a helicoil may be thicker and tap the ruined plugs hole still a hair more for the new heli...is a timnsert a tad bigger tap size than the old standar spring heli coil...anyhone here have experience with this same problem....I need to llok into it this week after work...bike is sitting since spitting the fixed plug out last weekend

I just recently fixed a bad helicoil spark plug hole with a NAPA purchased spark plug repair insert. I use the NAPA inserts all the time. They are a solid, double threaded unit just like a timecert.

The tap for the NAPA insert perfectly chased the helicoil threads in the head. The insert screwed in perfectly.

The NAPA insert gets locked in via the bottom few threads when you tighten the spark plug in. Still, I use the Green Loctite [sleeve retainer type] on the insert threads [Red would suffice]. When you install the spark plug the first time it will get tight as it reaches the bottom threads of the insert. It's pushing & locking those threads into the aluminum. Put some oil on the plug threads that first time. I use an old plug with good threads for that. Then install your fresh new spark plug.

You'll see in the picture that the inserts have a flange at the top. It will sit slightly proud of the hole surface unless you want to find a tool to cut a recess for it. You don't need to though. They were just fine without doing anything.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone wastes their time with shitty helicoils unless the situation forces the issue. Solid inserts are waaaaayyyyy better and look how inexpensive the kits are...

Here's a low cost, similar kit

www.google.com/#q=napa+spark+plug+repair...12274242284767992957 ]

Attachment download1.jpg not found

More
13 Jun 2014 20:53 #636557 by goodfastncheap
Replied by goodfastncheap on topic anyone ever put a timsert in, after helicoil fail?
I got a leaky plug on the left and I don't care. Bike is fast. See Ya'll at 4 corners!

1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

More
14 Jun 2014 05:49 - 14 Jun 2014 06:06 #636582 by LarryC

KZ Rat wrote: Larry-the reason I had to go with the bigsert on the 'yota was it had a stripped out helicoil repair- in my instance the damage was beyond what a standard timesert would repair-hopefully his isn't that bad. The pic
s of the repaired head earlier in this thread look suspiciously like bigserts we use other than the color. Would suck to knock a valve seat free while running in the bigsert tap-don't think its going to happen but worth checking prior to attempting. Wish I had a head off to measure the distance between the valve seats- think the tap is going to be 18x1.50. That being said the valve side of the spark plug hole is going to be 2mm towards the valve seat-hopefully there is enough distance to allow this.

I was busting Tri's balls...not yours :) That's a hell of a price to pay to fix a plug hole. Seems to me a shop could have done it for a lot less money. Not to mention that both I and Dave pointed out inexpensive kits with taps that could clean up the standard helicoil threads...

I don't know....but I just see so much that makes absolutely no sense anymore....guess it's old age setting in ;)

Larry C.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2014 06:06 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ Rat

More
14 Jun 2014 06:03 #636583 by KZ Rat
Do you think he is going to have any clearance issues if he takes that plug hole out to 18mm?

1979 ltd 1260 1980 ltd 1075 2005 450x for the desert

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Jun 2014 08:55 #636837 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic anyone ever put a timsert in, after helicoil fail?
yawn...fart...scratch...scratch,....

lotta wasted money money...say the scratch off crowd

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Jun 2014 09:03 #636839 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic anyone ever put a timsert in, after helicoil fail?
thats the type that got shot out while riding...thats why I'm putting a bimesert in...

peter1958 wrote:

LarryC wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: I am going to take pics and do some measuring but I have thread fixer-not really a helicoil from a auto parts store that failed on my 900...I think a helicoil may be thicker and tap the ruined plugs hole still a hair more for the new heli...is a timnsert a tad bigger tap size than the old standar spring heli coil...anyhone here have experience with this same problem....I need to llok into it this week after work...bike is sitting since spitting the fixed plug out last weekend

I just recently fixed a bad helicoil spark plug hole with a NAPA purchased spark plug repair insert. I use the NAPA inserts all the time. They are a solid, double threaded unit just like a timecert.

The tap for the NAPA insert perfectly chased the helicoil threads in the head. The insert screwed in perfectly.

The NAPA insert gets locked in via the bottom few threads when you tighten the spark plug in. Still, I use the Green Loctite [sleeve retainer type] on the insert threads [Red would suffice]. When you install the spark plug the first time it will get tight as it reaches the bottom threads of the insert. It's pushing & locking those threads into the aluminum. Put some oil on the plug threads that first time. I use an old plug with good threads for that. Then install your fresh new spark plug.

You'll see in the picture that the inserts have a flange at the top. It will sit slightly proud of the hole surface unless you want to find a tool to cut a recess for it. You don't need to though. They were just fine without doing anything.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone wastes their time with shitty helicoils unless the situation forces the issue. Solid inserts are waaaaayyyyy better and look how inexpensive the kits are...

Here's a low cost, similar kit

www.google.com/#q=napa+spark+plug+repair...12274242284767992957 ]

Attachment download1.jpg not found

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife