Clutch cable snapped from handle

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
11 Oct 2013 22:41 #609711 by david-b
Clutch cable snapped from handle was created by david-b
So tonight I was going to the gym and right before I got o nthe expressway going, the clutch cable snapped from where it connects to in the handle. Thank god it did it literally a block before the eway.

Anywho, I'm ordering a new one. My question is, I'm assuming this usually doesn't happen correct? I'm guessing that this cable was probably the original and never been replaced. With a new cable, this shouldnt be a problem again, correct? Also (haven't looked in manual yet so don't hate, does this cable get oiled like the throttle cable?

Thanks
/D

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2013 22:48 #609713 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
No, cables shouldn't break. You should lube the clutch and throttle cables with motor oil on a regular basis and apply some grease where they attach to the levers. Also, make sure your clutch is properly adjusted using the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual. The clutch lever should be easy to pull in. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Oct 2013 22:51 #609714 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
Cables are like tires and spark plugs, consumable. You have to keep an eye on
them. And yes they need oil. Look at any period manual for a reference.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
11 Oct 2013 22:58 #609715 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
Will do thanks. Ordering one from Z1 right now. Clutch was always hard to pull in. Really had to use 3+ fingers to do so. Seen some of your guys bikes where you can do with 1 finger.

/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

More
11 Oct 2013 23:09 #609719 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle

david-b wrote: Will do thanks. Ordering one from Z1 right now. Clutch was always hard to pull in. Really had to use 3+ fingers to do so. Seen some of your guys bikes where you can do with 1 finger.

I recommend after receiving the new cable you clean and lube the clutch release mechanism (under the sprocket cover), lube the new cable, and make sure the clutch mechanism is operating smoothly. It shouldn't take 3 fingers to pull it in. Ed

Attachment IMG_6766_2013-10-11-2.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
11 Oct 2013 23:10 #609720 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
Will do that too. Ya mine can't be pulled in like that. Well right now it can be since it's not attached to anything haha.

/Dave

1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Oct 2013 23:20 #609722 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
Get yourself a cable oiler.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2013 23:27 #609723 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
They will always break right at the ball at the lever even if lubed, however there is usually ample warning. The cable will begin to need to be tightened constantly to maintain proper clutch free play, and you can look at the cable right at the ball and see it's starting to go bad. There will be a couple strands of the cable frayed out, then a couple more, then eventually the last strand breaks. No this is not your last clutch cable you will need unless you ride all highway. I've replaced 10 or 15 of them over the years on my KZs, and all were snapped right at the lever same way. I never replace them til they snap, as I don't need a clutch to ride. Good thing is it's a 25 minute job tops to replace the cable, but a dirty filthy job.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
11 Oct 2013 23:31 #609725 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
For anyone out there that might not already know, it's perfectly okay to ride and shift gears without using the clutch.

Some riders habitually don't use the clutch except when the bike isn't rolling.

Many are adept at getting rolling and into low gear from a dead stop without using the clutch. And at getting into neutral without using the clutch before coming to a full stop.

Enjoyed once passing a motorcycle vehicle inspection without a clutch cable where the cable broke en-route to the inspection station.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Oct 2013 03:19 #609743 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
I had mine break deep in the Smoky Mountain Forest once, rode 50 miles back to where we were staying without a clutch, including through two towns. My fault for not checking it.
As noted, the strands will start to break, one by one, always at the barrel. If you properly maintain your cable by periodic lubing you will notice them starting to go.
I had an excuse; I had just purchased the bike and we went for a trip through the twisties.
Since then, I always carry a spare throttle and clutch cable with me when I go on trips. Plus I maintain them religiously.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
12 Oct 2013 08:14 - 22 Oct 2013 10:25 #609749 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
I use brake caliper grease at the lever, figuring it will stay put and won't collect as much dirt & grit as regular grease.
To lube the inner cable I use a funnel w short sections of clear tubing shoved together & fitted over the clutch release end w some duct tape to make sure it stays in place, all hung from the eaves w a coat hanger, then spray the cable lube ... kinda rednecky but it works.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 10:25 by martin_csr.

More
12 Oct 2013 08:30 #609751 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Clutch cable snapped from handle
There's a few things to check.

The cable barrel end should pivot in the lever. If it's too tight, it will cause a premature failure right at the upper end nipple. Clean the area in the lever and if necessary smooth any imperfections in the barrel on the end of the cable. A silicone lubricant is good as it won't attract dirt.

Check the cable adjuster. Many of these have rough edges. A small file can help relieve any of these.

Make sure the cable is routed correctly. If the handlebars have been changed it's possible you may need to reroute the cable so it isn't too tight a turn at the handlebar end.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,