More bad news.

More
09 Mar 2013 18:49 #576201 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic More bad news.
Ok guys I did another compression test today. Now remember this is with a cold engine as I have the carbs currently removed. I am getting the same readings at roughly:
120-110-30-120

I put a little oil in each cylinder and did a wet test and got:
130-125-40-130

So, I fired up the compressor and moved each cylinder to TDC and did the leakdown test.
Cylinder three is leaking through the exhaust valve. Now remember I just had these valves in spec. before running the bike the last time.

Is there anything I can do (spray carb cleaner into valve) to see if there is just some carbon build up on that valve before having to readjust the valves???

Thanks!

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Mar 2013 19:26 #576207 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic More bad news.
Dumping carb cleaner in there isn't going to do much to clear the carbon off a non running engine if that's whats holding it open,you could try checking clearances again nothing to lose but a little time B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
09 Mar 2013 19:37 #576209 by badrhino
But what if it is something sticking the valve open and not the clearances? Doing a valve check wouldn't help would it. :S

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

• wireman
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 19:53 #576213 by wireman
Well youll know as soon as you put a feeler gauge in there,if that valve has a lot of clearance and its not sealing the valve could be bent/carboned up really bad/valve and seat need ground....
On the other hand if it has no clearance it might just need shimmed. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
09 Mar 2013 20:09 #576217 by badrhino
Alright, looks like it's time to get dirty again. :evil:

Franken Z!

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2013 01:50 #576623 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic More bad news.
valve cover gasket vs not knowing why you have little compression is well worth it, as it may be bad weather and there is no sunshine in sight it is difficult to do anything in a hurry without knowing what the result will be if you can't go out.

More
12 Mar 2013 02:09 #576625 by mike0537
Replied by mike0537 on topic More bad news.
I'm not familiar with the 1000cc engines. Can't you pull the exhaust off on that cylinder and see the valve pretty clearly? That is a easy, free check. You should be able to tell if the valve is gummed up or bent from looking at it.

1980 KZ750E

More
12 Mar 2013 02:22 - 12 Mar 2013 02:22 #576626 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic More bad news.
Would check valve clearances, and adjust if necessary.

If desired, could use some "de-carbonizing" spray (such as PJBlaster or comparable product) squirted through the carbs while the engine's running, and following the directions on the can.

Some folks use water mist, which supposedly helps remove some of the carbon.

After the de-carbonizing operation, would re-check the valve clearances.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Mar 2013 02:22 by Patton.

• wireman
  • User
More
12 Mar 2013 02:37 #576630 by wireman
Ive used the water/spray bottle trick in the past,basically steam cleans the carbon out of the motor! :woohoo:
If you think its just carboned up dump a big can of sea foam in the tank and find an open stretch of highway and run it like hell through the gears for a few miles,if you do it at night youll see little carbon fire balls coming out of the exhuast :woohoo:

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
12 Mar 2013 04:03 #576636 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic More bad news.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou use a Hogan's Heroes miniaturized camera to check them valves and seats -- only tricky part is getting the dang thing in position inside the bore

THE CAMERA IS SMALLER THAN A 9-VOLT BATTERY only costs $23 on Ebay
- it is a color camera
- it has audio as well
- resolution is only 380 tv lines (TVL) but shouldn't matter if you're up close

On the more expensive side, $150 for this one, it is smaller than a peephole you find in the front door of a house, to help you figure out if the valve seats are burned (= leaking valve seat) or maybe avoid pulling the head again is this guy
- 4000 (thousand) TVL -- very very high resolution, super clear images
- 15mm in diameter
- it is a color camera
- 180 degrees view angle.....wow. Only $150.

The generic peephole mounted in doors is on the left in this picture, the camera's on the right -- tiny

This one's a Sony, gotta be good, and only $53, look how tiny it is, smaller than an RCA jack in the picture there
- 420 TVL of resolution
-

I've been debating getting one or 2 of these to see if it makes my life easier, I have a kz900 right now with a compression issue, I alos have a Honda Nighthawk that might have thrown a small-end bearing and was gonna put a small camera down there to see if the piston drops or is there 'play' as I rotate the crank.....

stuff like that. Lots of reasons to want a tiny camera inside sometimes.

Search on "mini camera" on ebay, lots of 'em.

If you burned a valve seat (running lean? is your exhaust pipe blueing on that low-compression bore? maybe it ran too hot and scorched that exhaust valve seat; are you running individual pod filters and a less-restrictive pipe and did you re-jet for that?)

I gotta stop procrastinating, get me a tiny camera like the one my dentist uses to scare me into getting more fillings and other works. Lots of reasons to have a tiny camera in the engine sometimes.

They're cheap too, the first time a mini camera saves you from a tear-down of the motor, it has paid for itself.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
13 Mar 2013 11:01 #576794 by gdprather
Replied by gdprather on topic More bad news.
Buy your self some easy off oven cleaner spay and wait and rinse off.I have used it for years on carbon build on and cleaning head and such.

1985 Kawasaki Vucan vn700A1
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100D2 Spectre

More
15 Mar 2013 15:47 #577063 by badrhino
I have checked the valve clearance on the exhaust valve in that leaking cylinder and it is good at .15mm so there is something holding it open or it is bent. I took the exhaust off and have spayed carb cleaner into valve and turned the motor over by hand a few times and have not got any progress. I also looked into the exhaust port and the valve doesn't look bent and I can't see anything on it. Is there anything else I can try.

Franken Z!