oil leak

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2013 22:07 - 07 Feb 2013 22:08 #571389 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic oil leak

wireman wrote: Start with a valve cover gasket from z1enterprises,they got it listed for $17.41.

Attachment DSC05835_small.jpg not found

You can also clean up cam end plugs at same time and glue them back in with some 3bond on the bottem side before installing valve cover gasket. B)

get a valve clearance feeler guage at the auto parts store and that would put you at about 25.00 total. plus shipping.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 22:08 by donthaveakawman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
08 Feb 2013 19:56 #571543 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic oil leak

donthaveakawman wrote:

wireman wrote: Start with a valve cover gasket from z1enterprises,they got it listed for $17.41.

Attachment DSC05835_small.jpg not found

You can also clean up cam end plugs at same time and glue them back in with some 3bond on the bottem side before installing valve cover gasket. B)

get a valve clearance feeler guage at the auto parts store and that would put you at about 25.00 total. plus shipping.

if you give advice thats a joke try to state that man. dont need someone destroying kaws for your amusement, do that stuff on harley forums lol. and that copper coat is good stuff wireman like i told you on the phone i got hooked from my dad using old indian head copper gasket shillack.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2013 21:52 #571562 by donthaveakawman
while you have the cam cover off there is no harm in checking the valve clearances. 20k miles is suggested in the manual for inspection of valve clearances.

More
10 Feb 2013 16:07 #571753 by natetru
Replied by natetru on topic oil leak
Did powder check...definitely a head gasket and also leak on back side of motor will kno what to call the part when my manual arrives, but it is a small 2 bolt flange that mounts to the motor and one to tranny......so i will start ordering gasket parts...... while im there valve check.... what else? Thanks

1982 kz1000 m2 csr

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2013 16:59 #571757 by donthaveakawman
is it on the kickstand side?

More
10 Feb 2013 17:05 #571760 by natetru
More to the center of the case on rear

1982 kz1000 m2 csr

More
10 Feb 2013 17:52 #571764 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic oil leak

natetru wrote: Did powder check...definitely a head gasket and also leak on back side of motor will kno what to call the part when my manual arrives, but it is a small 2 bolt flange that mounts to the motor and one to tranny......so i will start ordering gasket parts...... while im there valve check.... what else? Thanks

The one mounted on the cylinder block is the cam chain tension adjuster. The one on the behind the in to the base is the oil pressure switch (wire should be connected to it). Those are easy fixes.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: natetru

More
10 Feb 2013 17:52 #571765 by natetru
Ok....im looking for gasket sets and a tach seal repair kit.....tag on my bike says engine is a j family......tach seal kits only show compatible to 1980??? What am i doing wrong?

1982 kz1000 m2 csr

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2013 18:40 #571772 by donthaveakawman
did you check the compression?

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2013 18:42 #571773 by donthaveakawman

KZJOE900 wrote:

natetru wrote: Did powder check...definitely a head gasket and also leak on back side of motor will kno what to call the part when my manual arrives, but it is a small 2 bolt flange that mounts to the motor and one to tranny......so i will start ordering gasket parts...... while im there valve check.... what else? Thanks

The one mounted on the cylinder block is the cam chain tension adjuster. The one on the behind the in to the base is the oil pressure switch (wire should be connected to it). Those are easy fixes.

powder check, is that to see where the powder sticks?

More
10 Feb 2013 18:42 #571774 by natetru
I have not. I could visually see oil coming from the head gasket on the front of the motor with the powder on it....and actually could see some bubbling

1982 kz1000 m2 csr

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2013 18:44 #571775 by donthaveakawman
huh, I'm going to have to give that a try. mine leaks also just with all the airflow passages I thought it was coming from above.