newbie needing help with engine rebuild.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Dec 2012 20:41 #564347 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
Yo Woodrow,I thought you were supposed to shift just after it quit pulling,or just before it backflips ya! :woohoo:
Check your pm box

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2012 02:35 #564450 by pauleaston
Replied by pauleaston on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\$(KGrHqNHJF!FCR7SuFdhBQt,ZhpdJQ~~60_3[1].jpg[/attachment]
Is this the type of carbs you are talking about?

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2012 02:49 - 24 Dec 2012 02:51 #564456 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
Yes.

On second glance, I'd double check with the seller. The engine side of those carbs look suspiciously like the 26mm variety.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 02:51 by DoubleDub.

More
24 Dec 2012 02:53 #564458 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

pauleaston wrote: [attachment:1]C:\fakepath\$(KGrHqNHJF!FCR7SuFdhBQt,ZhpdJQ~~60_3[1].jpg[/attachment]
Is this the type of carbs you are talking about?

No.... Those are Non-Pumper.

These are Accelerator Pump type Carburetors.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
24 Dec 2012 02:56 #564459 by Kraz1
See the different Float Bowl on the No.#2 Carb in the second photo. That's an Accelerator Pump Rack of Carbs.

More
24 Dec 2012 03:13 #564464 by pauleaston
The carbs I am running now have identical bowls on them. Do I need a fuel pump to run 28mm?

sorry if I am asking dumb questions :unsure:

More
24 Dec 2012 03:24 #564466 by Kraz1
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

If your Carburetors look like this picture above.... You may already have 28mm Pumper Carburetors. Measure the Inside Diameter of the openings on your carburetors, the side that gets mounted to the "Cylinder Head", the Intake Side, not the "Airbox Side". Post up your measurment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
24 Dec 2012 10:57 #564497 by pauleaston
i'll check those carbs tonight after work. I found the answer to my dumb question. wiredgeorge's has a good writeup for newbies on his site (wgcarbs.com0 I really appreciate everybody's help. Hope I will be able to returen the favor. Thanks

More
24 Dec 2012 11:13 #564500 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
No fuel pump needed. The accelerator pump was to help cover up the low speed air velocity which caused a bog with larger carbs, better throttle response.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Dec 2012 12:06 #564509 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic newbie needing help with engine rebuild.
Did you do a compression test before pulling it down? Or a leak down test?
Some of your problem with it running poor may well be with the carbs and or ignition. Since your pulling it a part, have you inspected the ignition components? Was the ignition advancer stuck/ stiff? Points burned? Coils weak/ cracked? Voltage in the supply wire to the ignition low on voltage supply? These are all things to be checked. Once you get to ordering parts, replace the basic ignition parts, points/ condensers/ plugs/ and at least the plug wires if not coils.
Not pulling hard could easily be miss jetting, or weak ignition/ stuck advancer. Rough idle could be vacuum leaks at the intake manifolds, as they crack. Also dirty carb circuits, miss connected vacuum lines, etc.
Do you have the service manual for you bike? Sounds like you might when you posted saying the cams lobes are out of spec.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Dec 2012 21:15 #564566 by pauleaston
I measured my carbs and confirm they are 26mm. I also measured my cylinders and the measure 2.599"/66.01mm and my pistons measure 2.594"/65.88mm. They appear to be in good shape. So some new rings and a ball honing should be good. If I install 28mm carbs will I lose some bottom end without a accelerator pump?
Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2012 22:51 #564585 by Kraz1
You said you went back to running an Airbox which is good from a tuning/jetting standpoint. If you're looking at Non-Pumper 28's they are the early Z1 Carbs and some people view them as not reliable. At this point spend your money on the "Hone" & "Re-Ring" and a "Valve Job", and straighten out the 26's that you have. You should see a world of difference.