Turning the pollution cap into a crankcase vent

More
23 Nov 2012 01:00 #559702 by kzz1king

wireman wrote: At the same time like Ive said before if you have to start adding lots of extra venting just to keep oil from blowing out of a motor its time to do a leak down test to make sure youre not just blowing everything past worn rings or a worn bore.
On a high rpm racing engine thats spinning its way down the track at 10,000 rpms its understandable that things getting stirred up internally pretty violently,but on the typical street bike thats just being jumped on once in a while its not such a big issue.
If youve got a streetbike thats blowing gaskets out to vent itself and the stock crankcase vent isnt clogged up youve got internal issues and the extra venting is just a band aid. B)

I agree. I think turbo applications may be different though, correct?
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Nov 2012 01:22 #559705 by wireman

kzz1king wrote:

wireman wrote: At the same time like Ive said before if you have to start adding lots of extra venting just to keep oil from blowing out of a motor its time to do a leak down test to make sure youre not just blowing everything past worn rings or a worn bore.
On a high rpm racing engine thats spinning its way down the track at 10,000 rpms its understandable that things getting stirred up internally pretty violently,but on the typical street bike thats just being jumped on once in a while its not such a big issue.
If youve got a streetbike thats blowing gaskets out to vent itself and the stock crankcase vent isnt clogged up youve got internal issues and the extra venting is just a band aid. B)

I agree. I think turbo applications may be different though, correct?
Wayne

The turbo is force feeding the cumbustion chamber which puts more load on the rings which in turn causes some extra blow by if the rings cant handle it all.
But if it gets to the point where its blowing more past the rings than youre gaining its time to look at differant options as far as the finish on cylinder wall or the rings,Ive got a few sets of pistons laying around from higher end motors that are "gas ported" I believe the term is called where they drill holes in the ring land of the pistons to allow some of the cylinder/combustion pressure to come in behind the rings to force them against the cylinder walls to help them seal better .
It all depends on your situation and motor condition B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Nov 2012 02:08 #559713 by wireman

kzz1king wrote:

Attachment Picture175.jpg not found

Attachment Picture180.jpg not found

Whats that across bottem of the cap? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Nov 2012 12:30 #559742 by kzz1king
That is a baffle to prevent oil from being slung up the pipe. Not sure it was needed but I know the time I rode 30 some miles on one of my KZ's with the cap sitting on the case my leg got a little oily :cheer:
Wayne

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Nov 2012 13:40 #559749 by wireman
No I mean whats it made of? B)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2012 13:51 #559752 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Turning the pollution cap into a crankcase vent

Patton wrote:

kzz1king wrote: I thought I already asked this but do not see it. Does additional venting from the bottom end negate having to vent the top end? I Vented through fill plug on mine with no problems.
Wayne

Am thinking there's no separate venting for the bottom end and top end, because they're connected by the cam chain tunnel between the crankcase and cam area.

Good Fortune! :)

If you look inside the airbox the oil breather is right underneath the clean air hose for the emissions.

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Nov 2012 13:55 - 23 Nov 2012 15:57 #559753 by wireman

donthaveakawman wrote:

Patton wrote:

kzz1king wrote: I thought I already asked this but do not see it. Does additional venting from the bottom end negate having to vent the top end? I Vented through fill plug on mine with no problems.
Wayne

Am thinking there's no separate venting for the bottom end and top end, because they're connected by the cam chain tunnel between the crankcase and cam area.

If you look inside the airbox the oil breather is right underneath the clean air hose for the emissions.

oopsies! :sick:

Last edit: 23 Nov 2012 15:57 by wireman.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2012 14:37 - 23 Nov 2012 21:17 #559758 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Turning the pollution cap into a crankcase vent

wireman wrote:

donthaveakawman wrote:

Patton wrote:

Wayne

The emissions system hoses are pulling unburned fuel vapors from exhuast ports of motor,not venting crankcase pressure in their stock form B)

The velocity of the exhaust gasses running through the headers creates a vacuum when the valve closes. then pulls the reed valve to let airbox air in. :pinch:
Last edit: 23 Nov 2012 21:17 by donthaveakawman.

More
23 Nov 2012 15:08 #559762 by kzz1king

wireman wrote: No I mean whats it made of? B)

Some crap I saved for some unknown purpose but I knew I would need it someday. My garage is full of stuff like that! Some sort thin anodized aluminum.
Wayne

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Nov 2012 15:55 #559772 by wireman

donthaveakawman wrote:

wireman wrote:

donthaveakawman wrote:

Patton wrote:

Wayne

The emissions system hoses are pulling unburned fuel vapors from exhuast ports of motor,not venting crankcase pressure in their stock form B)

no, the velocity of the exhaust gasses running through the headers creates a vacuum when the valve closes. then pulls the reed valve to let airbox air in. :pinch:

Yes youre correct B)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2012 21:24 #559799 by donthaveakawman

donthaveakawman wrote:

Patton wrote:

kzz1king wrote: I thought I was homophobic enough, I already asked this but do not see it. Does additional venting from the bottom end negate having to vent the top end? I Vented through fill plug on mine with no problems.
Wayne

I just don't understand sometimes :evil: .

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Nov 2012 22:13 #559806 by wireman

Attachment 31178510095_R.jpg not found

How about something like this in the header past collector? B)

Attachments: