Wheelie stress...

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
14 Oct 2012 23:45 #553888 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Wheelie stress...
oh yes i had a ducati 748 pop due to wheelies with a shallow sump motor.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2012 11:23 #553957 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Wheelie stress...

4TheKZ1000 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: Seen a bunch of posts about fried engine bearings from wheelies because the oil pump gets starved and oil pressure goes away.

I blew a GSXR up due to that....he is 100% correct....but it was between a 1/2 mile to a mile wheelie. After the blowup it was torn down and you could see the oil starvation and heat coloration....

What year gixxer was that? I had an 04 and an 06 1000 that had probably 100 miles of highspeed wheelies on both bikes. Never had a problem....maybe your oil level was low? :unsure:

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
15 Oct 2012 11:30 #553959 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Wheelie stress...

kzz1king wrote:

lushbaugh wrote: yea keep an eye on head tube and install a trap door on the oil pan and keep it topped up. fork seals are expendable in that game. im not comfy wheelieng mine. too top heavy on the back wheel. ill power it up but thats all im cool with. awesome your really enjoying it tho thats what there for....kinda

First time I seen the oil gate mentioned on this forum. I have heard that it is a must have for hard charging KZ's. I used to get the oil light on under hard acceleration before installing one. Could never wheelie though.
Wayne

u can buy an oil pan gate from Schnitz racing, or just make your own from a small door hinge.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
15 Oct 2012 12:17 #553962 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Wheelie stress...
Dude, get on down with your bad self :cheer:
What they said. Steering bearings, neck, seals, triples...whatever takes the hit on the landing. Keep an eye on your bearing preload.
Chain, sprockets, cush drive, swinger pivots...you get the idea.
I have buds that could wheelie out of sight on Z1s and KZs. I never felt comfortable doing wheelies on the Z1-R or my KZ. Just doesn't feel right for me. Now the ZRX, that's a whole different ball game :woohoo: :woohoo:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2012 12:56 #553974 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Wheelie stress...

OldSchoolZ wrote:

4TheKZ1000 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: Seen a bunch of posts about fried engine bearings from wheelies because the oil pump gets starved and oil pressure goes away.

I blew a GSXR up due to that....he is 100% correct....but it was between a 1/2 mile to a mile wheelie. After the blowup it was torn down and you could see the oil starvation and heat coloration....

What year gixxer was that? I had an 04 and an 06 1000 that had probably 100 miles of highspeed wheelies on both bikes. Never had a problem....maybe your oil level was low? :unsure:

It was a 95 750....pretty sure oil level wasent issue? I was really surprised to have problem!

More
15 Oct 2012 13:21 #553976 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Wheelie stress...
So what is the secret to wrecking this stuff? All I get is wheelspin. It is stretched a little bit and lowered a tad. It feels like it pops a bit when I hit second, nothing too dramatic.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
15 Oct 2012 14:20 #553984 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Wheelie stress...
im short and at 130 lbs i get wheelspin. the stretch and slam hurts it too. raise it up or atleast get the front even or slightly higher than the front so the fulcrum is better and geared for acceleration then the pull back on the bars back a bit. then i bounce it up or power it up first to second. i wont dump it with my stock clutch.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Oct 2012 15:34 #554000 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Wheelie stress...
If you want wheelies , try regearing for tons of low end . :evil:
I prefer both my tires planted ;) , but that comes with lots of learning and the battle scars to prove it B) B) B) LOL

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
15 Oct 2012 15:53 #554005 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Wheelie stress...

mark1122 wrote:

kzz1king wrote:

lushbaugh wrote: yea keep an eye on head tube and install a trap door on the oil pan and keep it topped up. fork seals are expendable in that game. im not comfy wheelieng mine. too top heavy on the back wheel. ill power it up but thats all im cool with. awesome your really enjoying it tho thats what there for....kinda

First time I seen the oil gate mentioned on this forum. I have heard that it is a must have for hard charging KZ's. I used to get the oil light on under hard acceleration before installing one. Could never wheelie though.
Wayne

u can buy an oil pan gate from Schnitz racing, or just make your own from a small door hinge.

My oil light used to flicker under hard acceleration. Installed a oil pan gate and i have never seen it flicker again.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
15 Oct 2012 16:43 #554008 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Wheelie stress...
Stretched 4" and mine will wheelie right now! Good tire, tuning on shock and motor makes wheelies pretty easy. ;) I've missed gears in the air and they land hard, otherwise staying on the throttle on the way down really softens the impact. I used to wheelie the hell out of them but much older now and got a few battle scars myself so I tend to leave the big wheelies to the young guns. Just a good roll on power wheelie is good enough for me now.

Les

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Oct 2012 17:05 #554014 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Wheelie stress...

les holt wrote: Stretched 4" and mine will wheelie right now! Good tire, tuning on shock and motor makes wheelies pretty easy. ;) I've missed gears in the air and they land hard, otherwise staying on the throttle on the way down really softens the impact. I used to wheelie the hell out of them but much older now and got a few battle scars myself so I tend to leave the big wheelies to the young guns. Just a good roll on power wheelie is good enough for me now.

Les

Dont heal as fast as We used to. :(
I remember coming down so hard I blew the side covers off my bike at the strip :pinch:
Needed to find a clean pair after that LOL :laugh:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
15 Oct 2012 18:05 #554033 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Wheelie stress...
I've bruised the hell out of my knees and my right hand hit the brake handle and bruised it. Thought I was going over the handlebars it hit so hard. Had one dissappear from under me too. Rolled thru an intersection and it wheelied instead of blowing the tire like usuall so I stayed in it, when it landed it was gone. Funny now but not that day. Got some nice roadrash on my back from my learning days too.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman