Mismatched pistons

More
07 Oct 2012 12:24 - 07 Oct 2012 12:26 #552914 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mismatched pistons
If must retain the mis-matched pistons ---

Just guessing, but seems the existing scenario might better match respective weights of 1/4 with 2/3, than would result from pairing both heavier pistons on 1/4 and both lighter pistons on 2/3.

For example, in the existing scenario, the combined weight of 1/4 at TDC equals the combined weight of 2/3 at TDC.

Otherwise -- if pairing both heavier pistons on 1/4 and both lighter pistons on 2/3 -- the weight of 1/4 at TDC would exceed the weight of 2/3 at TDC.

Am thinking it's preferable to have the combined weight of 1/4 pistons as they rise and fall together matching the combined weight of 2/3 pistons as they rise and fall together.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2012 12:26 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 03:36 - 08 Oct 2012 03:38 #553028 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Mismatched pistons
Dont mean to high jack a thread, but I pulled the motor today (always a pain by myself) but decided to go deeper and found one of the pressure plate screws had also been broken , and once again drilled off center so bad they installed a sheet metal screw with a washer as a clutch spring holder :whistle: . I'll pull the bottom case tomorrow and look for more gremlins.
Im actually surprised I got that motor idling smooth and running good before finding the leaks and going deeper. :laugh:

If I find 4 different pistons, I'm going to drop kick the neighbors cat.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 03:38 by OldSchoolZ.

More
08 Oct 2012 03:41 #553029 by OldSchoolZ

sc/ant864 wrote: OldSchoolZ-It's funny you mention the broken bolts, I broke 3 of the main crank bolts and 1 of the bottom case bolts while preparing to split the cases. One hour later, after smacking each one with a pointed drift, drilling and an easy-out everything was kosher. I would also suggest heat if they wont budge, martin_csr suggested that for stubborn exhaust studs.

wireman-Measured the pistons with my crappy calipers and came up with 70mm.

OldSchoolZ wrote: Ive seen crazier shiz though. Thats proof many people have no business working on bikes. If someone is taking the time to pull a top end, they might as well do it right.(Im sure they got lucky regarding the weight issue) :whistle:
Thats ok, I have to pull the bottom case half off the motor in the bike I just bought cheap. They broke off 2 bolts on the lower case, JB welded crap and cross drilled the bolts trying to remove them. Time to EDM them I guess.
Some goof balls have no business working on anything. :angry:

This should be everyone's motto
"Lord grant me the bravery to fix things I know I can fix, the strength to accept the things I cant, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Actually it would have been an easy fix if they hadnt drilled off center in a recessed hole. Oh well, I'll get it straightened out pretty soon.

More
08 Oct 2012 04:46 - 08 Oct 2012 04:48 #553034 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Mismatched pistons
i've seen lots of guys use mismatched pistons racing hurt one and had other ones from another engine that got hurt and use them instead of buying a complete set happens alot as long as they are close to the same weight and same compression why not the crank and cylinder head won't know the difference as long as the clearances are right. if you have to remove weight take it from under the dome not off the skirts as those pistons are bigger at the bottom and you will have a tendency to make the piston to cylinder clearance looser than you want. in fact i have had to do it myself on one of my race engines it worked out fine ran that motor for 2 seasons. its not that big a deal how did the motor run with them in it.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 04:48 by timebomb33.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
08 Oct 2012 08:18 - 08 Oct 2012 08:19 #553042 by sc/ant864
Replied by sc/ant864 on topic Mismatched pistons
Well actually it ran quite well...while it was running...which was a small feat itself. My main worry is that the problem I had with different compression numbers across the cylinders may have been because of the different skirts, since they will heat and cool differently. I don't know that it's a huge deal, but another friend of mine that raced MX said the differnt surface areas will cause that. On another note they seem to have grind marks at the oiling holes which makes me think they at least weight matched them and they are Weiscos. Also when I clean them and weigh should they be weighed with the wrist pins and circlips as a unit?

timebomb33 wrote: i've seen lots of guys use mismatched pistons racing hurt one and had other ones from another engine that got hurt and use them instead of buying a complete set happens alot as long as they are close to the same weight and same compression why not the crank and cylinder head won't know the difference as long as the clearances are right. if you have to remove weight take it from under the dome not off the skirts as those pistons are bigger at the bottom and you will have a tendency to make the piston to cylinder clearance looser than you want. in fact i have had to do it myself on one of my race engines it worked out fine ran that motor for 2 seasons. its not that big a deal how did the motor run with them in it.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/543276-77-...543286]'77KZ900-1000 streetstrip project
'77KZ900/1000
'89BMW E30 325i sedan
'88Mustang GT
'77Datsun PL620 KingCab
George Carlin- "I often think how different the world would be if Hitler had not been turned down when he applied to art school."
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 08:19 by sc/ant864.

More
08 Oct 2012 08:40 - 08 Oct 2012 08:49 #553044 by sc/ant864
Replied by sc/ant864 on topic Mismatched pistons
I should elaborate that I meant heat in the way of a heat gun not putting a torch to your case, as I'm sure you know, just don't want someone stumbling onto this and putting a flame to their cases. Yeah now you'll have to Helicoil or thread-sert no? BTW what's EDM, a version of of the 2 mentioned methods of thread repair?

OldSchoolZ wrote:

sc/ant864 wrote: OldSchoolZ-It's funny you mention the broken bolts, I broke 3 of the main crank bolts and 1 of the bottom case bolts while preparing to split the cases. One hour later, after smacking each one with a pointed drift, drilling and an easy-out everything was kosher. I would also suggest heat if they wont budge, martin_csr suggested that for stubborn exhaust studs.

wireman-Measured the pistons with my crappy calipers and came up with 70mm.

OldSchoolZ wrote: Ive seen crazier shiz though. Thats proof many people have no business working on bikes. If someone is taking the time to pull a top end, they might as well do it right.(Im sure they got lucky regarding the weight issue) :whistle:
Thats ok, I have to pull the bottom case half off the motor in the bike I just bought cheap. They broke off 2 bolts on the lower case, JB welded crap and cross drilled the bolts trying to remove them. Time to EDM them I guess.
Some goof balls have no business working on anything. :angry:

This should be everyone's motto
"Lord grant me the bravery to fix things I know I can fix, the strength to accept the things I cant, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Actually it would have been an easy fix if they hadnt drilled off center in a recessed hole. Oh well, I'll get it straightened out pretty soon.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/543276-77-...543286]'77KZ900-1000 streetstrip project
'77KZ900/1000
'89BMW E30 325i sedan
'88Mustang GT
'77Datsun PL620 KingCab
George Carlin- "I often think how different the world would be if Hitler had not been turned down when he applied to art school."
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 08:49 by sc/ant864.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Oct 2012 10:01 #553051 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Mismatched pistons

sc/ant864 wrote: Well actually it ran quite well...while it was running...which was a small feat itself. My main worry is that the problem I had with different compression numbers across the cylinders may have been because of the different skirts, since they will heat and cool differently. I don't know that it's a huge deal, but another friend of mine that raced MX said the differnt surface areas will cause that. On another note they seem to have grind marks at the oiling holes which makes me think they at least weight matched them and they are Weiscos. Also when I clean them and weigh should they be weighed with the wrist pins and circlips as a unit?

I would keep the wrist pins with the different pistons, as the Wiseco pins may have a different weight to them than OEM. You can check that though, and post up the results. Most would have a set of 4, either OEM or Wiseco, or whatever not mixed.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Oct 2012 16:24 #553099 by OldSchoolZ
An EDM is an electic discharge machine. It burns the broken acrew out with high intensity electricity. It even leaves all your aluminum threads intact. It really is amazing, even removes it if a tap is,broken off in the hole.I first had one done when a cylinder stud broke and was frozen for 20 plus years. Check into it. Its about 40-50 dollars a hole, cheaper than cases in my situation. A few places do it in Houston.