Engine rebuild?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jul 2012 23:37 #533728 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine rebuild?
Only if the valves were to tight, it might come up some. Thats why I like leak down tests, as it will show where the compression is escaping.
It sounds like you want to pull it down, rebuild it, and that is most likely what it will take to renew the compression.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 23:56 #533732 by KZ1000inaus
Replied by KZ1000inaus on topic Engine rebuild?

Motor Head wrote: Only if the valves were to tight, it might come up some. Thats why I like leak down tests, as it will show where the compression is escaping.
It sounds like you want to pull it down, rebuild it, and that is most likely what it will take to renew the compression.

thanks i'll see what the leak down comes back with.
I'd rather not take it apart as the weather here is just perfect for riding so i'd rather be out on it :-)

More
04 Jul 2012 05:58 #533761 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Engine rebuild?
The valves should be within 0.08 and 0.18 mm according to Kawasaki, but experience says that it will be fine with anything between 0.05 and 0.3. The tighter clearances will make it more silent and with a tiny bit more top end power, the larger clearances will perhaps make it tick a little, improve idle and low end power at a slight cost of top-end. Unless you race you probably will not notice.

If you have access to a tiny camera, you can lower it throught the spark plug opening and look for scoring. If the cylinder isn't scored, it's very likely that the piston rings are just stuck. If it's scored, though, you probably have a broken ring. I still say it's at least 90% chance of simply stuck rings.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
04 Jul 2012 07:41 #533768 by KZ1000inaus
well I've got the barrels off and i can't see anything wrong..
I was hoping to see at least something stuck but all looks fine.
what should it be looking for other than the obvious?
rings seem to move freely, there's no scoring on the barrels.

one other question, the little rubbers on all the cam chain guides are these supposed to be hard? or have mine just gone off and need replacing?

i made the mistake of not holding onto the upper cam chain cog/guide properly as i removed it and the lower oblong washer fell into the engine. I now have the task of getting in out. i'm hoping removing the sump will reveal it.

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
04 Jul 2012 07:43 #533769 by KZ1000inaus

faffi wrote: The valves should be within 0.08 and 0.18 mm according to Kawasaki, but experience says that it will be fine with anything between 0.05 and 0.3. The tighter clearances will make it more silent and with a tiny bit more top end power, the larger clearances will perhaps make it tick a little, improve idle and low end power at a slight cost of top-end. Unless you race you probably will not notice.

thats great advice, thanks. :)
I'd rather have low down power as living in Australia we have low speed limits and lot of police to enforce them..

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Jul 2012 07:48 #533771 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine rebuild?
Pictures of motor apart ?

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Jul 2012 10:07 - 04 Jul 2012 10:46 #533783 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine rebuild?
Lots of Police, don't forget the Speed Cameras!! :sick:
With the head off now, put some light fluid, Petrol will work, in each port while the head is set up on edge. Do the EX then the IN, looking for fluid to run out past the valve into the combustion area. Its a simple test, which will show a leaking valve. Do you have any Cylinder Head Tools? Its probably best to take the Head to a Good Machinist, and let them do the valve job, as the correct tools are expensive for just one job.
You should be able to get a Hone, and install the rings though. You just need to be able to check some measurements, Bore Size, Piston size, ring end gap, ring to land clearance, etc. Don't forget a Torque Wrench.

These guy's can help with the parts, www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ1000-A2-1978-EN0
They are very good, and ship down under.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 04 Jul 2012 10:46 by Motor Head.

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
04 Jul 2012 20:51 #533885 by KZ1000inaus

Motor Head wrote: Lots of Police, don't forget the Speed Cameras!! :sick:
With the head off now, put some light fluid, Petrol will work, in each port while the head is set up on edge. Do the EX then the IN, looking for fluid to run out past the valve into the combustion area. Its a simple test, which will show a leaking valve. Do you have any Cylinder Head Tools? Its probably best to take the Head to a Good Machinist, and let them do the valve job, as the correct tools are expensive for just one job.
You should be able to get a Hone, and install the rings though. You just need to be able to check some measurements, Bore Size, Piston size, ring end gap, ring to land clearance, etc. Don't forget a Torque Wrench.

I was going to do the whole head recon thing myself with checking and sorting out the valves but have too much on my plate already and just dropped off the head to a re-conditioner who's doing the whole lot. He is going to rebuild with cams on etc but it's pretty obvious i wont be able to get it back on with the cams on it due to cam chain. Any tips on how to get around this or do i just remove cams again, refit head and then put them back on?
I'll take the barrels to an engine re-conditioner to see if they need honing. Pics attached that show piston and barrel. it's actually no3 thats the problem, just shows how new i am to this. steep learning curve but all good stuff and even though the bikes off the road i'm sort of enjoying the pain of the job as i'm learning so much!!
Silly question but if it all looks ok and rings etc measure out ok do i replace anything while its apart just to save re-build in the future? I had a quote for a standard set of ring for around 250 bucks so i'd rather not change them unless i need to !!
Attachments:

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
04 Jul 2012 20:51 #533886 by KZ1000inaus

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Pictures of motor apart ?

more pics
Attachments:

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Jul 2012 21:43 #533895 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine rebuild?
From what I can see in the pictures your pistons look alright. Clean it. Check it out closer. Hone and rings are minimun needed, plus the skies the limit.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
05 Jul 2012 03:48 #533950 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Engine rebuild?
I wonder if perhaps the head gasket was blown, causing the lack of compression? Could you see traces of blow-by on the head/cylinder/gasket? Your pistons looks fine and you can still see the honing marks in the cylinders, so I see no reason to do anything to those parts.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
05 Jul 2012 05:09 #533955 by KZ1000inaus

faffi wrote: I wonder if perhaps the head gasket was blown, causing the lack of compression? Could you see traces of blow-by on the head/cylinder/gasket? Your pistons looks fine and you can still see the honing marks in the cylinders, so I see no reason to do anything to those parts.

I wondered exactly the same thing and the head gasket did look a little suspicious, also i'm wondering if the last guy that took it apart actually owned a torque wrench as one cam holder bolt sheered off like it had been tightened too much so the head may have also been put on incorrectly.
Oh well the barrels are being honed now and the rings are on order, and the head is off getting reconditioned. At least i know it should be OK when i get it back together.

one question, can you break cam chains so the head can be put on with cams already installed?