Engine rebuild?

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 06:57 #533535 by KZ1000inaus
Engine rebuild? was created by KZ1000inaus
After completing a compression test cylinder 2 came back with a reading of about 40 psi.
I've done the tea spoon of oil in the barrel test and it came back with 130 psi so looks like I have blown rings.
Any suggestions where to go from here? As in what to expect to replace? Pistons, rings etc.
Is there anything to upgrade or replace while I have it apart?
Is it likely to need rebore
What make of parts do u recommend?
I'll start to take it apart tomorrow to see the extent of the problem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2012 07:37 #533536 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Engine rebuild?
It depends on how bad of shape it is, but you might be a ble to get by with new rings and a good hone. While its apart id check all the idler gears for wear. Theres alot of stuff you could do while its apart like lap the valves. I buy most of my parts from z1 enterprises.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
03 Jul 2012 08:30 #533540 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Engine rebuild?
Have the engine sat for a long period, or has it been used regularly lately? It is not unusual for piston rings to get stuck when unused for long periods, but letting it soak for a few days in diesel often frees the rings. You can add the fluid from the spark plug hole at TDC. The small amount shouldn't ruin the engine oil even if all runs past the rings.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 18:35 #533654 by KZ1000inaus
Replied by KZ1000inaus on topic Engine rebuild?

faffi wrote: Have the engine sat for a long period, or has it been used regularly lately? It is not unusual for piston rings to get stuck when unused for long periods, but letting it soak for a few days in diesel often frees the rings. You can add the fluid from the spark plug hole at TDC. The small amount shouldn't ruin the engine oil even if all runs past the rings.

ahhh that could be it. I have done a few miles on it since i got it but it was imported from US to Aus late last year and i bought it early this year. The speedo showed 12500 miles and the excellent condition of the bike made me believe it was, which i still do. but that did make me wonder why i was getting such a serious engine problem from a renowned tough engine so early.
The whole bike looked like it was a shed find and covered in a few years of storage dirt and protective oil stuff, and the engine oil and brake fluids had seen better days.
I'm half looking forward to taking it apart as i will know more about the bike i intend never to sell :-)

More
03 Jul 2012 18:55 #533661 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Engine rebuild?
It's your bike ;) Personally, I'm a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" person. Others live by the "if it ain't broken, rip it apart and find out why" token :D

I'm positive I'd find lots inside my engine that's not factory fresh. But it works just fine and doesn't use oil. Until it really asks for attention, my engine will stay together. And when attention is needed, I'll pop in the spare engine without opening it, either :p

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 19:29 #533672 by KZ1000inaus

faffi wrote: It's your bike ;) Personally, I'm a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" person. Others live by the "if it ain't broken, rip it apart and find out why" token :D

I'm positive I'd find lots inside my engine that's not factory fresh. But it works just fine and doesn't use oil. Until it really asks for attention, my engine will stay together. And when attention is needed, I'll pop in the spare engine without opening it, either :p

Oh i'm definitely with you on that one, but no2 cylinder was not firing and since ive had the bike it's never run properly..

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jul 2012 20:29 #533683 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine rebuild?

KZ1000inaus wrote: After completing a compression test cylinder 2 came back with a reading of about 40 psi.
I've done the tea spoon of oil in the barrel test and it came back with 130 psi so looks like I have blown rings.
Any suggestions where to go from here? As in what to expect to replace? Pistons, rings etc.

I'd do a valve clearance check, and if tight, back of the camshaft bearing caps to get clearance. Then by hand, rotate the motor through both a dry and wet Leak Down Test. Rotate by the 17mm nut at the right engine ignition cover, not the 13mm one. In the direction of normal travel of course. You will have to hold down with a bit of tension on the cam chain, between the cams. When re-installing valve cover, be sure to take the Wedge out of the automatic cam chain tensioner. Thats under the cap, 17mm wrench/ spanner, under the carbs.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 21:23 #533702 by KZ1000inaus

Motor Head wrote:

KZ1000inaus wrote: After completing a compression test cylinder 2 came back with a reading of about 40 psi.

I'd do a valve clearance check, and if tight, back of the camshaft bearing caps to get clearance. Then by hand, rotate the motor through both a dry and wet Leak Down Test. Rotate by the 17mm nut at the right engine ignition cover, not the 13mm one. In the direction of normal travel of course. You will have to hold down with a bit of tension on the cam chain, between the cams. When re-installing valve cover, be sure to take the Wedge out of the automatic cam chain tensioner. Thats under the cap, 17mm wrench/ spanner, under the carbs.

I checked the valve clearances last night and if my memory serves me right No.2 was one of the better ones with a clearance of .08. where as No.4's exhaust was .23 ! which was the highest.
that begs another question. what is the correct clearance? as my manual says one thing (.15mm) and i think a thread in the forum says .05 to .10.
I think i'll get a guy around to do a leak down test as well

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jul 2012 21:30 #533706 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine rebuild?
The .1mm sounds better.
Did you recheck compression, or restart the motor to see if there was any difference, after the adjustment?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Jul 2012 22:09 #533715 by Denvgasm
Replied by Denvgasm on topic Engine rebuild?
What model engine?

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 23:10 #533724 by KZ1000inaus

Denvgasm wrote: What model engine?

it's a 1978 KZ 1000A2 - No. KZT00AE - 073210

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Jul 2012 23:19 #533725 by KZ1000inaus

Motor Head wrote: The .1mm sounds better.
Did you recheck compression, or restart the motor to see if there was any difference, after the adjustment?

Ive not adjusted the clearance as it's my first time on checking/adjusting them and i'm picking up the tool/shims today.
will it really make that much difference to a cylinder that runs at 40PSI normally and then 120-30 if oil is put in cylinder and a compression test run?
sorry but i'm a bit of a noobie (which i'm trying to rectify) when it comes to this much detail.