If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

More
02 Jun 2012 19:46 - 02 Jun 2012 19:47 #526478 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
Mobil 1 end user Test

a] If you spill it on a hot exhaust manifold, it will flame!
b] If your 3.8 GM pukes an intake gasket and fills the crank case with coolant, the oil doesn't turn mikly white.

Which one is hazardous? :kiss:

Larry C.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 19:47 by LarryC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2012 20:05 - 02 Jun 2012 20:06 #526480 by 650ed

LarryC wrote: Mobil 1 end user Test

b] If your 3.8 GM pukes an intake gasket and fills the crank case with coolant, the oil doesn't turn mikly white.

Depending on the engine the exhaust manifold might set nearby oak trees on fire. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attachment 00000HOT.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 20:06 by 650ed.

More
02 Jun 2012 20:06 #526481 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
I don't know about driving 1 mile to work, but I drive 3 each way and have for 34 yrs now. It's never bothered the oil. I mostly ride to work if it's not snow and ice, and yes I'd get that white sludge under the fill cap during cold weather, but otherwise never had any problem.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Jun 2012 20:49 #526488 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

mtkawboy wrote: Wireman do you really think that driving 1 mile each way to work at zero or below temps wont fill any oil pan with water & turn it into jello ? The brand makes no difference, this wasnt an attack on Mobil 1, its great oil but it doesnt last forever under all conditions. My point was any oil needs to be changed. if you dont agree, fine, I have no problem with that, it aint mine. being a lineman I can understand a wiremans thinking. That was a joke, no Im not serious.

Actually I have a class A electrical contractors license and can can work in several differant states,I also have several master plumbers licenses and can work just about anyplace a United plumbing code or National plumbing code License is recognized.
I can also work on low-pressure (hot water) or High pressure (steam boilers) in many areas.
And I can also work on refrigiration and med gas systems.
Its got nothing to do with thinking like an electrician,Its got everything to do with you talking about mobil 1 turning to varnish inside of a motor while at the same time talking about never having a problem with youre brand of oil then coming back and trying to add to the storie. :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Jun 2012 20:53 #526489 by wireman

Mine is a 3.8 ford.Didnt dump antifreeze into the oil ,it dumped it into the intake ports common problem with ford 3.8s.
The oil never turned milky,just ran a little rough. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
02 Jun 2012 21:43 #526494 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

78 KZ1000 A2A

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jun 2012 21:47 - 02 Jun 2012 21:50 #526495 by bluej58
Opps, screwed up :pinch:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 21:50 by bluej58.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jun 2012 21:51 #526496 by bluej58

650ed wrote:

Depending on the engine the exhaust manifold might set nearby oak trees on fire. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attachment 00000HOT.jpg not found

Not to mention "Billet Oak" camshafts and walnut inlayed lifters! :silly:

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
02 Jun 2012 22:48 - 02 Jun 2012 23:07 #526503 by Kraz1
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 23:07 by Kraz1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
03 Jun 2012 01:03 #526522 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
so what is the ZDDP PPM requirement for our KZs? Is Rotella still adequate for now? Can I add some STP oil treatment to get it where it needs to be????
So confused!!! :S :whistle:

I do use a bit of oil treatment in my scooter engines. Seems to be fine.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• wireman
  • User
More
03 Jun 2012 01:11 #526523 by wireman
Im more worried about the little stuff like keeping tires aired up and checking the rubber for dry rot,chain cleaning/tightening/oiling ,flushing brake fluid once a year,keeping oil changed/cleaned,valves adjusted................

:woohoo:

More
03 Jun 2012 23:41 #526689 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

wireman wrote:

mtkawboy wrote: Wireman do you really think that driving 1 mile each way to work at zero or below temps wont fill any oil pan with water & turn it into jello ? The brand makes no difference, this wasnt an attack on Mobil 1, its great oil but it doesnt last forever under all conditions. My point was any oil needs to be changed. if you dont agree, fine, I have no problem with that, it aint mine. being a lineman I can understand a wiremans thinking. That was a joke, no Im not serious.

Actually I have a class A electrical contractors license and can can work in several differant states,I also have several master plumbers licenses and can work just about anyplace a United plumbing code or National plumbing code License is recognized.
I can also work on low-pressure (hot water) or High pressure (steam boilers) in many areas.
And I can also work on refrigiration and med gas systems.
Its got nothing to do with thinking like an electrician,Its got everything to do with you talking about mobil 1 turning to varnish inside of a motor while at the same time talking about never having a problem with youre brand of oil then coming back and trying to add to the storie. :laugh:

Impressive credentials Wireman but no lineman will ever give a "narrow back" his due. I spent some time in a linemans local and never heard the end of it. :laugh:

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)