If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

More
31 May 2012 17:54 #526160 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
Imteresting topic! Something i never thought about either. Whats the thoughts on this Castrol Oil then?

www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericar...37&contentId=6006047

I buy it in a 25L Drum for my race bike (the Racing 10w/40 version www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericar...51&contentId=7018614 )

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2012 19:23 #526167 by 650ed
They're JASO MA2 rated so they should work very well. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 19:44 - 31 May 2012 20:02 #526172 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

RonKZ650 wrote: The more I researched this problem, the more it isn't a problem. Bob is the oil guy forums have all kinds of oil analysis from virgin samples of most oils showing the zinc level which is generally 1000-1500ppm on modern oil.

Unless the Zinc Fairy is coming along and sprinkling it into the oil, those values are wrong. That is not what you will get in SM or SN service grade oil (newest grades).

I no longer drink the BITOG cool-aid for this and other reasons, but I guarantee you the newest oils do not have those levels of ZDDP.

www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm

If you are driving an older classic muscle car or hot rod that has an engine with a flat tappet camshaft, you should be aware of the fact that today's SM and SN rated motor oils contain much lower levels of anti-scuff additive called "ZDDP" (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate). The level of ZDDP in current motor oils has been reduced to no more than 0.08% phosphorus to extend the life of the catalytic converter.

NOTE: .08% = 800 ppm

Both the new API SN and GM dexos oil standards will require the use of a new type of “Phosphorus Retention” ZDP. ZDP or Zinc, as it is known, provides protection for engine components by creating a phosphate film. The creation of this phosphate film also results in a reduction of performance in Three Way Catalytic Converters. The new “Phosphorus Retention” ZDP is less reactive, so it is less detrimental to catalytic converter performance. It is unknown how this new “Phosphorus Retention” ZDP will perform in flat-tappet and high performance engines.

/////

More than ever before, hot rodders, engine builders, and racers need to be aware that API rated products are “compromised” due to Passenger Car OEM requirements for improved catalytic converter life, fuel economy, and engine cleanliness.

www.joegibbsdriven.com/trainingcenter/tech/motoroilchange.html

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 May 2012 20:02 by bountyhunter.

More
31 May 2012 19:54 #526173 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

From a recent similar post:

3 UOAs I did earlier this year showed Zinc levels at:

Rotella T 10W-30 1193
Rotella 15W-40 1145
Rotella 15W-40 1051

ok...its cheap and better than other oils...for an oil geek, its exciting.
I use it in my turbo diesel as well.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 20:05 - 31 May 2012 20:08 #526176 by bountyhunter

Medina wrote:

From a recent similar post:

3 UOAs I did earlier this year showed Zinc levels at:

Rotella T 10W-30 1193
Rotella 15W-40 1145
Rotella 15W-40 1051

ok...its cheap and better than other oils...for an oil geek, its exciting.
I use it in my turbo diesel as well.

Rotella is diesel rated and is one of VERY FEW oils that retain decent zinc levels..... at the present time. As for how long? They can't make the new API service ratings for passenger cars with it that high. Interesting to see how long until it's no longer available.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 May 2012 20:08 by bountyhunter.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2012 22:21 - 31 May 2012 22:22 #526203 by bountyhunter
NOT ALL "ZINC" IS CREATED EQUAL:

If the oil is just quoting a number for zinc content, watch out: it gets complicated with the new oils because they are pulling other tricks to eliminate the effect of zinc.

Zinc vs. Detergent

While the reduction of zinc, phosphorus and sulfur in today’s motor oils is a significant change,there is more to the story. Specifically, the detergent additives used in modern oils have also changed. Here are some key facts about zinc and detergents and how they work.

ALL "ZINC" IS NOT THE SAME

The oil additive Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate (ZDDP) works because it is a polar molecule, so it is attracted to ferrous metal surfaces. However, Zinc (ZDDP) is not a lubricant until heat and load are applied. ZDDP must react with heat and load to create the sacrificial film that allows ZDDP to protect flat-tappet camshafts and other highly loaded engine parts. The Society of Automotive Engineers’ Automotive Lubricants Reference Book states,“ZDDP is the predominant anti-wear additive used in crankcase oils, although it is a class of additive rather than one particular chemical..” Not all ZDDP additives are the same. Some zinc additives have slower “burn” rates that require more heat and more load to activate than other zinc additives.

As a result, not all “High Zinc” oils have the same activation rate. The Joe Gibbs Driven BR
Break-In oil uses a “Fast Burn” ZDDP that activates quickly.

THE CRITICAL BALANCE OF DETERGENTS TO ZINC

Detergents and dispersants in the oil complicate the situation. Detergent and dispersant
additives “compete” against zinc in the engine because they are polar molecules as well.
Detergents and dispersants clean the engine, but they don’t distinguish between sludge,
varnish and zinc – they clean all three away. Modern API certified oils contain higher levels of detergents and dispersants due to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems on passenger cars and diesel trucks. The “old school” theory on engine break-in was to run non-detergent oils, and this allowed for greater activation of the zinc additive in the oil.
Joe Gibbs Driven BR Break-In oils utilize the correct balance of anti-wear additives and
detergents, so you don’t need to buy expensive additives to try to “fix” a low zinc (ZDDP) oil.

www.g503.com/advertising/oil-spec.pdf

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 May 2012 22:22 by bountyhunter.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 May 2012 22:38 #526208 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
I guess we all better just quit driving our older cars/trucks/bikes and start driving honda civics with roller cams.
Ive seen the light old kz's are doomed ,im gonna team up with OMR and start creating a roller cam/lifter conversion for harley davidsons since theyre the only bike out there Im aware of that readily available and still uses pushrods to allow the room for roller cam/lifters! :woohoo:
Im also going to buy major stock in crane cams roller cam/lifter division.
forget nukes,the russains are going to take out flat tappet cams/lifters without having to fire a shot! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
31 May 2012 22:51 #526210 by 650ed
If I still had my old '53 Chevy I would either run racing oil in that 235ci straight 6 or not rev it up to 9,000 rpm like my KZ650. :woohoo: :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
More
31 May 2012 22:52 - 31 May 2012 22:56 #526211 by wireman
Ive solved the problem,screw zddp!
As long as weve got min wax/cwf/bere or thompsons we'll never have to worry about cam lobes again.
Hows that possible you ask?
Very simple kids,Im gonna buy myself a harbor freight bench top lathes and team up with krazy1 tostart making "Billet Oak" camshafts and walnut inlayed lifters!
We'll call em "woodies" :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 31 May 2012 22:56 by wireman.

More
31 May 2012 22:57 - 31 May 2012 22:58 #526213 by 650ed
Oak cams won't work. Just make them out of pure zinc and you won't need the additive. :P You can call them Z-cams.

Last edit: 31 May 2012 22:58 by 650ed.

More
31 May 2012 22:58 #526214 by OneShoe50
Replied by OneShoe50 on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

damarble wrote:
I'm a fan of Rotella, I suppose the next step is to see if I can find out what is (or isn't) in it.

+1 Rotella T in my KZ and the Goldwing....

77 KZ1000A1 - Under going a psuedo ELR overhaul
79 KE175 (gone)
81 KZ550A2 (gone)
81 KZ750E (gone)

Sure it looks OK now, but wait until I really make it pretty, with some chrome and paint and some new tires and grips and the wiring. Don't forget the gearing, and the LED's and, and, and....

• wireman
  • User
More
31 May 2012 23:00 #526217 by wireman

650ed wrote: Oak cams won't work. Just make them out of pure zinc and you won't need the additive. :P You can call them Z-cams.

Theyd be too heavy! :laugh: