If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

More
31 May 2012 23:02 - 31 May 2012 23:12 #526218 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
I'm 100% in favor of extra additives for protection on new cam break in. I use Torco on everything. It's easy to sit on the side lines riding a stock motorcycle and disclaim things that are truly going on. When your ass is on the line after someone dropped a few grand on a motor job, you take an entirely different perspective on things.

The trouble is that it can't always be pinpointed to the oil. I've had guys contact me about burned up cams that were broken in using all of the top brands of oil mentioned previously. Just last year we had a member report on a drag car that the rings wouldn't seat. It had Brad Penn oil in it and the oil got the blame....so who knows for sure what the reasons are in every situation.

Go hang out with some serious stock car guys for a while and keep your ears open ;) I assure the doubters, it's a genuine problem regardless of what Bob The Oil Guy has on his website.

Larry C.
Last edit: 31 May 2012 23:12 by LarryC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 May 2012 23:14 #526221 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

LarryC wrote: I'm 100% in favor of extra additives for protection on new cam break in. I use Torco on everything. It's easy to sit on the side lines riding a stock motorcycle and disclaim things that are truly going on. When your ass is on the line after someone dropped a few grand on a motor job, you take an entirely different perspective on things.

It happens to the car guys as well as the motorcycle guys. Go hang out with some serious stock car guys for a while and keep your ears open ;)

Yes cam lobes and bearing surfaces should definately be given every possible advantage anytime a new motor is assembled,but its not something that should be worried about everytime you start your motor for the next 20 years as some seem to think it is.
I dont know of anybody who goes out and puts a brick on the gas pedal and holds it there for 500 miles at a time either. :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
31 May 2012 23:17 #526222 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
Ive run Mob 1 and never had a prob, but I have ran pensoil, castrol and never had a problem.... :huh:

More
31 May 2012 23:18 - 31 May 2012 23:18 #526223 by LarryC

wireman wrote:

LarryC wrote: I'm 100% in favor of extra additives for protection on new cam break in. I use Torco on everything. It's easy to sit on the side lines riding a stock motorcycle and disclaim things that are truly going on. When your ass is on the line after someone dropped a few grand on a motor job, you take an entirely different perspective on things.

It happens to the car guys as well as the motorcycle guys. Go hang out with some serious stock car guys for a while and keep your ears open ;)

Yes cam lobes and bearing surfaces should definately be given every possible advantage anytime a new motor is assembled,but its not something that should be worried about everytime you start your motor for the next 20 years as some seem to think it is.
I dont know of anybody who goes out and puts a brick on the gas pedal and holds it there for 500 miles at a time either. :woohoo:

I understand that but if you talk to some of the cam manufacturers, you'll find even some OEM cams that didn't used to fail are now failing. I had an interesting conversation with Megacycle just about a year ago. Not every motor out there is suffering but some of the old ones are now showing problems related to the oil we have available.

Larry C.
Last edit: 31 May 2012 23:18 by LarryC.

• wireman
  • User
More
31 May 2012 23:22 #526224 by wireman

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Ive run Mob 1 and never had a prob, but I have ran pensoil, castrol and never had a problem.... :huh:

Pull the valve covers or oil pan off an engine thats had penzoil run through it even with regular oil changes,youll notice the differance. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
31 May 2012 23:25 #526225 by LarryC

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Ive run Mob 1 and never had a prob, but I have ran pensoil, castrol and never had a problem.... :huh:

I believe that :) That's what is so puzzling sometimes about failed valve train components. The oil is an easy target for the blame. I know guys who break in fresh racing engines with Mobil 1 and have no problems with rings seating.

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
More
31 May 2012 23:31 #526227 by wireman

Attachment pennzoilmotor.jpg not found

Heres what my personal experiance with pennzoil motors tends to look like :sick:

Attachments:

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2012 00:19 #526233 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

Yeah... the moral of the thread is: the mobil-1, castrol, pennzoil, quaker state, etc we ALL ran in our cars and bikes back in the day are NOT what you can buy anymore, cans may look the same..... oil is not the same.

Learn the facts, make your own choice. Just be advised the oil companies are not talking about it....

And know the ZDDP additives are readily available from Redline or ZDDPlus or others.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2012 00:22 #526234 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil

wireman wrote:

Pull the valve covers or oil pan off an engine thats had penzoil run through it even with regular oil changes,youll notice the differance. B)

Funny... the first warning I got on oil back in the 60's was about pennzoil. The base oil was OK but they supposedly used paraphin based additives that would "foam" when they got too hot in severe service.... don't know personally, I never used it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jun 2012 00:46 #526240 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic If You Think You Don't Need ZDDP In the Oil
Originated from the same source.... :blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2012 11:18 #526277 by LarryC

Old Man Rock wrote: Originated from the same source.... :blink:

Now that's funny :laugh: You should have had him eating some plastic bottles and such ;)

Larry C.

• wireman
  • User
More
01 Jun 2012 12:53 #526289 by wireman
The mobil 1 is full synthetic,im not sure if t rex was actually involved in the production of it. :laugh: