open headers?

More
16 Jun 2013 01:22 #592494 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic open headers?

650ed wrote: so the open pipes and the possible burned valves are not a concern (the valves don't burn in a quarter mile). Ed

...Exactly, Ed. They usually EXPLODE first! :laugh:

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 09:37 - 16 Jun 2013 09:38 #592518 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic open headers?
Yikes!

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 16 Jun 2013 09:38 by 650ed.

More
16 Jun 2013 23:40 #592626 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic open headers?

steell wrote:

Hollywoodmx wrote:

steell wrote:
Might hole a piston running it so lean though.

Yup, it's called un-metered air in the fuel injection world.

Basically the exhaust pipe is going to take in air through "reversion" (like a vacuum), since that air isn't flowing through a carb or air flow meter no extra gas is accounted for so you facilitate a lean condition. Same thing can happen on with a cracked carb boot on the intake manifold side of a carb or a vacuum leak.

Are you saying that cold air is going to travel up a 20" long pipe, plus a couple more inches of port, and hit the valve while the motor is running?

Even 20" is conservative "rule of thumb" my friend, for scavenging and not warping valves. That is where there is a big temp gradient at that, so that shutting off the motor is like dropping the valves in cold water. The reasons most motors have problems with really short exhaust is the lean issue you mentioned. If the fuel is riched on up, then even then you can get away with a pretty short pipe.

Scavenging is not a big a deal in EVERY case as made in most hot-rod circles. Why would scavenging be so important if you are running, say, a single? LOL Or most twins for that matter?

I ran an open collector in my Z1 for about two seasons, no problems. Just jetted accordingly- at the time, I had it lucky, I had a friend with an exhaust "sniffer" for tunning, so I just changed the jets and tuned carbs until the correct A/F ratio was as close as I could get. I lived in Alaska then, and it was hard to get a tune really good- air density could change thousands of feet in a day, due to dry air and moist air trends and cool and hot air changes in the summer. So just had to be as close as possible LOL

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
20 Jun 2013 17:21 #593251 by KZ-Izzo
Replied by KZ-Izzo on topic open headers?
know what love straight pipes! TURBOS lol boost it and you will be great lol

when jetting dont forget to increase your pilot jets too.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd