open headers?

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 19:40 #524996 by krazykzcommandeered
open headers? was created by krazykzcommandeered
Im running open pipes off of a 98 gsxr that I customize to fit my 78 ks650,
the pipe expands to about 2 inches just after the first bend, I just got the bike together
and running good, but Shes running lean, I was thinking torque cones for back pressure, but cant find them, would bigger jets solve my problem, Im planning on getting some slip in baffles to put in
the ends, but theres only room for about 4 inches of baffles, kinda in over my head as what to do for the best performance, and whats best for my motor , besides paying money i dont have for a new exhaust,

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2012 20:00 - 26 May 2012 20:04 #525003 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic open headers?
Are you saying that there is no collector; just 4 large open header pipes? If so, you will have zero scavenging effect. This is not a good thing. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 26 May 2012 20:04 by 650ed.

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 20:44 #525011 by krazykzcommandeered
Replied by krazykzcommandeered on topic open headers?
ya just four open pipes, whats gonna mess up first if i run it like this, i know the valves thats why i was looking into baffles and cones, i love the way they sound, if i went with a four into one i would sound like every other sport bike on the road, is there anyway, to keep the pipes and not destroy my motor

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
26 May 2012 20:58 #525013 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic open headers?
thats a big ticket waiting to happen.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
26 May 2012 21:36 #525021 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic open headers?
Sorry Pal
Those pipes are a poor choice. Only Topfuel cars run like that . Do you have a collector you sawed off these pipes you can salvage ?

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 21:47 #525023 by krazykzcommandeered
so how can top fuel cars run like that, just cause they run for such a short period of time? and i know im asking for a ticket, but live in the country, every other truck on the road is louder than my bike,

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
26 May 2012 21:56 #525027 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic open headers?
Fuel dragsters can get away with it as they only run right at wide open throttle. Even V twin Harleys dont run as well with straight pipes as the same motor would do with a 2 into 1 header . Their is a whole science built into tuning exhaust pipes to make power thru out a motors rpm range. Good Luck...

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 21:59 #525029 by krazykzcommandeered
and do have a collector, just liked the four open pipes, if i have to modify it to work guess ill do what i have to, been told over and over i cant run it like that, just makes me wanna figure out a way even more

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 22:03 #525030 by krazykzcommandeered
n understand what ur saying, but the bike runs gd thru all the gears no flat spot to be found, n runs like a bat of of hell, just afraid im running to lean as i have deccel pop, and plugs are white

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

More
26 May 2012 22:25 #525035 by spark23ca
Replied by spark23ca on topic open headers?
to hell with people who don't like the noise...a jet size richer might bring the plugs to a tan color at least ...i'd run a collector myself but its not my bike...the whole point of doing all this is for fun...if you want to have a little fun b4 u lose a valve go for it ...i wouldn't guess how long that would be ...but if you want to have more fun driving then mechanicing put a collector on it ..or at least stick some sort of thing in each header even if its a flat washer...i used to work for a place that builds race engines for sleds...we build our own silencers ..just drilled a alot of holes on the outside of the straight pipe then got a bigger pipe put over it packed it with pink insulation and welded washer on each end ..this way if its too quiet u can adjust it by sliding a piece of pipe up inside covering the holes or some of the holes u drilled

1982 kz 1000 ltd ..someone started to make a bobber out of it and realized it didnt' run and they didn't know how to run their wrenches

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2012 22:38 #525040 by krazykzcommandeered
was kinda thinking the same think only instead if welding the washer to the pipe, thought about welding tabs on the washer, drill holes in the tabs, then i could take them on and off fairly easy, i dont see me getting it right the first time,

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
26 May 2012 22:50 #525045 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic open headers?
do flames come out of the pipe end at night, that would be cool. :evil: