open headers?

More
26 May 2012 23:03 #525050 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic open headers?
But wear Nomex socks! :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2012 23:09 #525055 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic open headers?
Jet it up and ride on! ;)

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
26 May 2012 23:27 #525061 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic open headers?

krazykzcommandeered wrote: live in the country, every other truck on the road is louder than my bike,

I know exactly what you mean. Nothing like BFN, Indiana lol! :P I run basically open pipes with stright through baffles that have flares that open up to the inside of the pipe. Gives some backpressure but keeps that loud "back off" sound. Found this site the other day though. i know its for harleys :sick: but should be the same.

www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

1976 KZ750 hardtail

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
27 May 2012 01:53 #525097 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic open headers?
Screen 5 bucks

4 strainers 5 bucks
4 hose clamps 5 bucks

There ya go I even put it on kzr plug the ends of the pipes with a cone screen from a window ... place the heveyer screen over the end clamp it on and hope it doesn't blow off at woooooot lol

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 09:17 #525120 by krazykzcommandeered
Replied by krazykzcommandeered on topic open headers?
sweet im gonna get a jet bigger. carbs running a 102 main right, then finger some kinda of backpressure and and guess when the valves burn, ill replace em, unless im done with the other motor by then...

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 09:50 #525122 by krazykzcommandeered
I know exactly what you mean. Nothing like BFN, Indiana lol! :P I run basically open pipes with stright through baffles that have flares that open up to the inside of the pipe. Gives some backpressure but keeps that loud "back off" sound. Found this site the other day though. i know its for harleys :sick: but should be the same.

www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm [/quote]

awesome idea easier than what i had in my mind and would be easier to tune as well

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
27 May 2012 17:19 #525224 by ready2ryde1985
Ok dude you asked for it.....

little back ground we ride together and live 20 min apart so where no others will step in i will...

This is not your sportster and never will be lol ..

Stop you cant aford new valves and you are riding this thing dayly. I understand that it is just a rat bike but give that poor kz a pipe !!!!

poor katchup cant take it no more she is tired of being left lol and your gona go bigger jets ??? you better start savin gas money you have a hell of a time keepin gas in it now lol with all your float boal gas being wasted ...

This is all ment in good fun hope to see ya in a bit im workin on the 550 as soon as the sun starts to go down..

Dont be an abuser be a reuser!!!!!

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
27 May 2012 20:19 #525253 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic open headers?
:laugh: you've got a good point. Love your bike like it is the most expensive thing you own and it'll run fo eva!

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
27 May 2012 23:53 #525281 by marla_do
Replied by marla_do on topic open headers?
I was thinking about doing the same until I found a decent set of headers

whats the law on this sort of thing? is it only a "loudness" issue or will they get us for appearance/safety

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
28 May 2012 02:38 #525288 by ready2ryde1985
I know laws verry from state to state ..

In il the cops set up blocks in some of our most motorcycle traveled areas and check to see if there are baffles in the pipes..

As for safety I have seen guys mount sp :woohoo: ikes and sharp objects all over there chops so don't think they care to much about how safe the pipes are..

As for looks .......
You are in a hole lot of trubble if they are tickiting for dirt grease fulestains or well anything that might ofend the little old lady down the street... :woohoo:

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

• krazykzcommandeered
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2012 07:26 #525297 by krazykzcommandeered

ready2ryde1985 wrote: Ok dude you asked for it.....

little back ground we ride together and live 20 min apart so where no others will step in i will...

This is not your sportster and never will be lol ..

Stop you cant aford new valves and you are riding this thing dayly. I understand that it is just a rat bike but give that poor kz a pipe !!!!

poor katchup cant take it no more she is tired of being left lol and your gona go bigger jets ??? you better start savin gas money you have a hell of a time keepin gas in it now lol with all your float boal gas being wasted ...

This is all ment in good fun hope to see ya in a bit im workin on the 550 as soon as the sun starts to go down..

Dont be an abuser be a reuser!!!!!

got slip in baffles last night, came from a kerker, im gonna cut em up and shove em in,
and the harley comment hurts bro, dont be mad cause ketchup is louder n sounds better, lmao,
if i burn a valve after i create my backpressure, i burn a valve, u know im gonna leave em short, if i get a ticket i get a ticket, i like how they look, sound, and run. if i can get descent backressure so no exhaust valves get hurt, no worry's

79 kz650 cafe rat racer
aka catchup

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
28 May 2012 08:54 #525311 by ready2ryde1985
I'm with ya love the way it sounds and if it wasn't runnin so lean id say f$$$$ it lol but you got to do somethin .. bring that kerker stough down and we will work it out I need to take mine apart and do some checkin. Also the hd coment was neither a bash on you or the bike ... that thing was tits I mean who takes a brand new sporty and a saw sall and makes a sat evening out of it lol. All I am saing is its better to prevent problems vrs letting them run there corse.

Get a hold of me we will do some ridin and some wrenchin today ..

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd