creamy white goo on the underside of the oil cap

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
17 Mar 2012 23:23 - 17 Mar 2012 23:36 #510308 by KZQ
Head Gasket, Shmed Gasket! Run the bike till it's hot, at least 20 Minutes. The white creamy shiite will be gone. Course if'n you can remember, a challenge for me, whenever you ride the bike and don't give it enough time to thoroughly warm up you can park the bike and remove the oil fill cap to let the moisture out, course you gotta remember, my challenge, to put it back on before you ride off.

Think of it this way: Your car has an engine and a transmission, they's separate. They's got their individual lubrication and cooling systems. Now your air cooled Kaw has an engine that uses the same oil to lube the tranny and the engine. Think twice the volume with the same heater (your engine), the whole system has to be brought up to temp to avoid condensation after shutdown.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 23:36 by KZQ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2012 03:06 #511593 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic creamy white goo on the underside of the oil cap
it was that dumbfangled k&n air filter that i cannot figure out how to correctly oil plus i washed it and lifted the seat to get the gas tank where the seat sits and water got down into the airbox although there is a hole for anything to drain out of in the bottom i think some air got into the filter or something how it got into the oil i dunno its gone now. thanks

More
24 Mar 2012 03:17 #511594 by osage
I just use a K&N recharge kit for mine. Has cleaner, oil and instructions. Never had any issues other then planning enough time to let filter dry before spraying it with oil. Oil is dyed red so its easy to see where you missed a spot on filter.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3

More
24 Mar 2012 07:46 #511605 by OKC_Kent
If water gets into your airbox then it is draining out the bottom tube into the breather cap, thus straight into your transmission-engine oil. That's how you get white goop.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
24 Mar 2012 10:41 - 24 Mar 2012 11:45 #511629 by 650ed
On my airbox the bottom drains through a tube down to the ground. There is an "S" shaped tube that runs from the breather to a nipple on the front of airbox about 1" above the bottom.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 24 Mar 2012 11:45 by 650ed.

More
24 Mar 2012 10:52 #511632 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic creamy white goo on the underside of the oil cap
white = water, engine not getting to temp, are u running an oil cooler ???

More
24 Mar 2012 15:07 #511681 by OKC_Kent

650ed wrote: On my airbox the bottom drains through a tube down to the ground. There is an "S" shaped tube that runs from the breather to a nipple on the front of airbox about 1" above the bottom.

Oh yeah that's right. It's been a long time since i looked that close.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Mar 2012 16:31 #511690 by wireman

donthaveakawman wrote: same mounts as a kz mcdroid if the kz had the gpz engine they could rule the world. especially with the shim under bucket tappets.

No need for the shim under buckets till lift hits the .410 range in the big bikes anyway ,or if you have a set of lobes pushing in an odd area. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Mar 2012 16:34 #511693 by wireman

osage wrote: I just use a K&N recharge kit for mine. Has cleaner, oil and instructions. Never had any issues other then planning enough time to let filter dry before spraying it with oil. Oil is dyed red so its easy to see where you missed a spot on filter.

Any good cleaner like 409 will clean the filter,then re oil it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
24 Mar 2012 17:00 #511695 by bluej58
Back in the day we cleaned them with gasoline and let them air dry.
I planning on using my same old filter because it still looks real good.
But this time I could only get the oil in kit form with the cleaner so I just I'll try it.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2012 01:53 #511807 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic creamy white goo on the underside of the oil cap
Mind you, gpz, I said GPZ, not GPz. Or visa verse - liquid cooled and 16 valve, whatever the one I want is.
The k&n air filter directions say "Over oil the filter dont" Yada yada you dont cover the jets on the carburetor with oil yada yada(guess I am just a over-cautious sometimes want to.) gap on the clearance on top of the filter anywho unlike the stock one comes with some sort of padding on both ends there seems like is.
To get I ended up oiling the inside of the filter where its hard, because what the directions tell you, that is, go through- the inside, to oil the side that the incoming air will because I am using the air-box not the cone filters. .

Gone yoohoo, the goo is, but I am burning oil quickly. Herh herh herh.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2012 01:54 #511808 by donthaveakawman
<- is what i would have sounded like if i were master yoda, here is what i meant to say;
-
mind you, i said GPZ, not GPz. or visa verse -whatever the one i want is liquid cooled and 16 valve.
the k&n air filter directions say "dont over oil the filter" yada yada you dont want to cover the jets on the carburetor with oil yada yada(guess i am just a over-cautious sometimes.)seems like there is a gap on the clearance on top of the filter anywho unlike the stock one comes with some sort of padding on both ends.
i ended up oiling the inside of the filter where its hard to get, because that's what the directions tell you, to oil the side that the incoming air will go through- the inside because i am using the air-box not the cone filters.

the goo is gone yoohoo, but i an burning oil quickly.