Need help from engine experts on cam shaft binding

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 17:17 #428535 by Dale65
Thanks Andy! I'm going to start a thread soon for those of you who are interested to see what I am doing to this bike. Now that the engine stuff is about done, I'll start really focusing on what I want to do to make it look like a cafe racer.

1981 KZ550 LTD stock for now, but soon to be a cafe racer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 17:18 #428537 by Dale65
larrycavan wrote:

Dale65 wrote:

OK, guys, thanks to your help, I got it fixed. I didn't even get to read the last two posts, where Larry said there are two T marks. I found that out when I got home and realized the manual shows a diagram with a T mark, but in fact it is the T/F mark that you have to use. My bad for not having enough engine sense to use a light and look through the spark plug hole to check for TDC on 1 and 4 instead of taking the book's word for it.

Once I used the new marking, relined up the cams and used Patton's info on the mistake in the book concerning the timing chain, it's spinning like a champ. And in the right direction.

Again, thank you all for your help. Next time I tell you it's at TDC and you ask me how I came by that info and I tell you, "cause the book tells me so", feel free to throw a flashlight at my head and tell me not to take the book's word for it and LOOK!!! My bad, guys, sorry...

:woohoo: You just bought yourself a ticket on the bus... see chit chat section :laugh:

Thanks, Larry....

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 17:19 #428539 by larrycavan
Dale65 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Dale65 wrote:

OK, guys, thanks to your help, I got it fixed. I didn't even get to read the last two posts, where Larry said there are two T marks. I found that out when I got home and realized the manual shows a diagram with a T mark, but in fact it is the T/F mark that you have to use. My bad for not having enough engine sense to use a light and look through the spark plug hole to check for TDC on 1 and 4 instead of taking the book's word for it.

Once I used the new marking, relined up the cams and used Patton's info on the mistake in the book concerning the timing chain, it's spinning like a champ. And in the right direction.

Again, thank you all for your help. Next time I tell you it's at TDC and you ask me how I came by that info and I tell you, "cause the book tells me so", feel free to throw a flashlight at my head and tell me not to take the book's word for it and LOOK!!! My bad, guys, sorry...

:woohoo: You just bought yourself a ticket on the bus... see chit chat section :laugh:

Thanks, Larry....

Stuff Happens.... glad you got it sorted out :)

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 17:24 #428543 by Dale65
Glad TerryK asked me to post pics or I'd still be waiting for a miracle. If you hadn't seen the DTC at number 2 and 3....I don't even want to think about it.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 17:42 #428559 by larrycavan
Dale65 wrote:

Glad TerryK asked me to post pics or I'd still be waiting for a miracle. If you hadn't seen the DTC at number 2 and 3....I don't even want to think about it.

Make sure you remove the outer cup and spring from your cam chain tensioner before you install the valve cover and then put them back again before you turn it over...

If you don't, your cam chain will be over tensioned.

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 18:16 #428574 by Dale65
larrycavan wrote:

Dale65 wrote:

Make sure you remove the outer cup and spring from your cam chain tensioner before you install the valve cover and then put them back again before you turn it over...

Just the Cross Wedge spring or do I need to remove the pushrod spring too?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2011 04:56 #428671 by larrycavan
Dale65 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Dale65 wrote:

Just the Cross Wedge spring or do I need to remove the pushrod spring too?

Just the cross wedge ought to do it Dale