Need help from engine experts on cam shaft binding

More
04 Feb 2011 09:03 #428403 by steell
Turn it till it stops, take a led penlight and look into each cylinder to see which one is hitting a valve.

Or just check your valve clearances to see which one(s) have lots of clearance now, that will be the bent one(s).

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
04 Feb 2011 12:11 - 04 Feb 2011 12:21 #428438 by andy9802gt
steell wrote:

Turn it till it stops, take a led penlight and look into each cylinder to see which one is hitting a valve.

Or just check your valve clearances to see which one(s) have lots of clearance now, that will be the bent one(s).

If it's like the 1000 is make sure you use the right mark on the exhaust cam sprocket to set it otherwise the valves will hit the pistons or each other. On my stock one there's an arrow right on the edge of the sprocket that sets cam timing, don't know if that's applicable to your bike though.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 12:21 by andy9802gt.

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 12:42 #428447 by Dale65
Yes, a bunch of different markings. I followed the book on which ones to use.

1981 KZ550 LTD stock for now, but soon to be a cafe racer.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 13:21 - 04 Feb 2011 13:25 #428458 by larrycavan
I looked at your last picture as close as possible. Here's what I think I see.

Looks to me like #2 & #3 are at TDC instead of #1 & #4. At least it looks like I see piston through the plug hole on #2 cylinder.

Check that.

Larry C
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 13:25 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 13:29 - 04 Feb 2011 13:36 #428461 by larrycavan
Another crop pic.

I see valve for sure but it also looks like piston top there as well. If that's the case, I'd say the intake is running into the piston.

If that's the case, the crank is 180 off and you might have bent that valve, possibly others.

If you find the crank is in fact out 180, you'd best check the valves. A leak down tester would be ideal.

You can't trust going by lash alone when it comes to bent valves unless they're badly bent. Plus those heads have cast iron guides. Often times when a valve gets badly bent, it can crack the guide.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 13:36 by larrycavan.

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 13:39 #428466 by Dale65
larrycavan wrote:

I looked at your last picture as close as possible. Here's what I think I see.

Looks to me like #2 & #3 are at TDC instead of #1 & #4. At least it looks like I see piston through the plug hole on #2 cylinder.

Check that.

Larry C

Dude, you are right, it looks like that is the case from the pic. That is so weird, cause I've got it on the TDC marking on the cam shaft. I'll make sure that I didn't rotate it and leave it off, but from looking at the cams in the pic, it should be right. So if what you're saying is true, my marking may be off by 180 degrees.

That's an easy fix though. I'll just shine a light into the spark plug hole and line it up manually without using the marking on the cam shaft and see what happens. I'm leaving work now to go and try it, so I'll let ya'll know later.

Thanks for all the input!

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 13:47 - 04 Feb 2011 13:49 #428469 by Dale65
I doubt I bent it, since I didn't put any real pressure on it, just turned it with a wrench until it hit. Have you seen them bend that easy before? Still trying to figure out how I can turn it backwards with no problem...?

Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 13:49 by Dale65.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 14:00 #428472 by larrycavan
Dale65 wrote:

I doubt I bent it, since I didn't put any real pressure on it, just turned it with a wrench until it hit. Have you seen them bend that easy before? Still trying to figure out how I can turn it backwards with no problem...?

First....There are 2 T marks. One for each pair of cylinders. If you didn't know that....well now you do. If you pull the ignition plate out, it's easier to see them.

Second - If you didn't force it, you're probably OK with the valves. It would suck though to get it all together and then find one bent.

As it is, if the motor hasn't been fired. The gasket should be fine if you do end up pulling the head off. CHECK the piston pair marks. You want 1&4 at TDC when you install the cams... Good luck :)

• andy9802gt
  • User
More
04 Feb 2011 15:15 #428489 by andy9802gt
and stop turning it backwards before you break something else.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

• Dale65
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ 550 LTD
More
04 Feb 2011 17:00 #428525 by Dale65
OK, guys, thanks to your help, I got it fixed. I didn't even get to read the last two posts, where Larry said there are two T marks. I found that out when I got home and realized the manual shows a diagram with a T mark, but in fact it is the T/F mark that you have to use. My bad for not having enough engine sense to use a light and look through the spark plug hole to check for TDC on 1 and 4 instead of taking the book's word for it.

Once I used the new marking, relined up the cams and used Patton's info on the mistake in the book concerning the timing chain, it's spinning like a champ. And in the right direction.

Again, thank you all for your help. Next time I tell you it's at TDC and you ask me how I came by that info and I tell you, "cause the book tells me so", feel free to throw a flashlight at my head and tell me not to take the book's word for it and LOOK!!! My bad, guys, sorry...

• andy9802gt
  • User
More
04 Feb 2011 17:03 #428527 by andy9802gt
glad you got it worked out.:)

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2011 17:17 #428533 by larrycavan
Dale65 wrote:

OK, guys, thanks to your help, I got it fixed. I didn't even get to read the last two posts, where Larry said there are two T marks. I found that out when I got home and realized the manual shows a diagram with a T mark, but in fact it is the T/F mark that you have to use. My bad for not having enough engine sense to use a light and look through the spark plug hole to check for TDC on 1 and 4 instead of taking the book's word for it.

Once I used the new marking, relined up the cams and used Patton's info on the mistake in the book concerning the timing chain, it's spinning like a champ. And in the right direction.

Again, thank you all for your help. Next time I tell you it's at TDC and you ask me how I came by that info and I tell you, "cause the book tells me so", feel free to throw a flashlight at my head and tell me not to take the book's word for it and LOOK!!! My bad, guys, sorry...

:woohoo: You just bought yourself a ticket on the bus... see chit chat section :laugh: