TOP END CLEANER?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2011 10:15 - 30 Jan 2011 10:27 #427101 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic TOP END CLEANER?
otakar wrote:

This is what they looked like before I wiped them off with the rag. You can see that the piston on the left is the same one as in the picture in previous post.

Look at that picture closely. Look how far down in the bores there are carbon traces. That's not normal. Most likely cause by the dislodge carbon being drug by the piston.

Look at the reflection in the cylinder walls just above the top of the piston. They're badly glazed. I tore down a J motor just recently and the bores were not nearly that glazed. It had over 20K on it and was virgin.

I'm far from sold on all those chemicals you run through your bike Otto. From what I see, they're not doing anything beneficial to the longevity of the engine or to enhance performance.

Does that stuff clean.... I'd say it does but the side affects look to be worse than the cure to me. Kind of like those miracle medicines everyone takes for a couple of years then sues the manufacturer after they find out the rest of the story ;)

You and I could't be further apart in likes / dislikes when it comes to these old bikes :laugh: You're a promotor of chemicals, BS34 carbs and Mac pipes. All items I'd load up the trash can with... Ahh...well..To each their own I guess... I still like your bike bud ;)

JMO

Larry C
Last edit: 30 Jan 2011 10:27 by larrycavan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2011 10:48 - 30 Jan 2011 10:52 #427111 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic TOP END CLEANER?
larrycavan wrote:

..if you dive further into the manual, it tells you to check and replace the worn out parts that caused the carbon build up to begin with....

And diving yet further, suggests other reasons for carbon build-up besides worn out parts. B)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Jan 2011 10:52 by Patton.

More
30 Jan 2011 11:28 #427118 by beefsquasher
Replied by beefsquasher on topic TOP END CLEANER?
Mac pipes too? Sheesh.

1977 KZ1000 Mutt - 1075, Kenny Harmon Cams .400", RS34, Kerker, Dyna S

1997 Honda XR250R
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 BMW R60/5

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2011 15:49 - 30 Jan 2011 15:51 #427174 by larrycavan
Patton wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

..if you dive further into the manual, it tells you to check and replace the worn out parts that caused the carbon build up to begin with....

And diving yet further, suggests other reasons for carbon build-up besides worn out parts. B)

:dry: Yea... I see the inside of motors all the time and I'll tell you straight up without sugar coating...... It's worn engine parts that cause 99.9% of carbon build up

I swear... some you f'kn guys must still believe in the tooth fairy :laugh: Ya got any liquid rotor puller you can pawn off on Adam :woohoo:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2011 15:51 by larrycavan.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jan 2011 16:05 #427178 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic TOP END CLEANER?
I'm not expecting cleaning the engine to do a miracle. But the last time the Saturn failed smog test, cleaning the hell out of it got it back under the limits. It also ran better. After yesterday's cleaning, it clearly runs better and idles smoother. But, the cleaner was sucked in through the throttle body and injectors, so some of the improvement could be from cleaning those. Anyway, it does run really strong I'll see next week if it can pass smog without any expensive work like O2 sensors and a new cat converter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Jan 2011 16:18 #427185 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic TOP END CLEANER?
larrycavan wrote:

Patton wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

:dry: Yea... I see the inside of motors all the time and I'll tell you straight up without sugar coating...... It's worn engine parts that cause 99.9% of carbon build up

I swear... some you f'kn guys must still believe in the tooth fairy :laugh: Ya got any liquid rotor puller you can pawn off on Adam :woohoo:

:woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
30 Jan 2011 21:23 #427275 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic TOP END CLEANER?
Given acceptable leak-down test results and good valve stem seals (i.e., no excessively worn parts), am thinking that possible causes for carbon build-up inside the combustion chamber might also include:
Excessively rich fuel mixture (for whatever reason);
Improper spark plug;
Oil level too high;
Poor spark (for whatever reason);
Improper ignition timing;
Insufficient valve clearance;
Gasoline type.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 05:18 #427307 by larrycavan
And I might win the lottery today as well :laugh:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 05:21 #427308 by larrycavan
bountyhunter wrote:

I'm not expecting cleaning the engine to do a miracle. But the last time the Saturn failed smog test, cleaning the hell out of it got it back under the limits. It also ran better. After yesterday's cleaning, it clearly runs better and idles smoother. But, the cleaner was sucked in through the throttle body and injectors, so some of the improvement could be from cleaning those. Anyway, it does run really strong I'll see next week if it can pass smog without any expensive work like O2 sensors and a new cat converter.

Hopefully it works for you :) I can understand where YOU'RE coming from with this approach. Good Luck!