Can I use newer stock cams to boost my 78 kz1000?

More
25 Feb 2011 04:18 #433281 by Nebr_Rex
How about just a slightly bigger intake cam and leave the exhaust alone.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2011 05:19 #433288 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Can I use newer stock cams to boost my 78 kz1000?
Almost forgot... Cheaper yet... ~ $20

According to others... COIL MOD, huge power gains... :blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2011 05:38 #433289 by hocbj23
larrycavan wrote:

hocbj23 wrote:

Nelson wrote:

Hey kawasakiman do you have the cams these guys are describing? What's a "real" J cam?

81-82 Kawasakis KZ1000 are designated models J (standard),K(LTD), and M(CSR) .Engines on the LTD and CSR are identical except CSR cams are designed for a gear/cable driven tach.LTD and CSR are rated at 92 hp,the J model is 102hp.All three are 998cc.Only difference is cams.So u really need the J bike cams for any improvement.Also kinda hard to locate,but there are lots of K and M cams floating around.I have a set of both K and M cams if u need them .Only difference is the gear boss for the M bikes cable driven tach.bj

BJ,

On a J motor bike like the LTD or CSR, the J cams are a simple swap and no additional sprockets are required. It's really a nice, inexpensive upgrade for those bikes.

On a KZ motor, to use those cams, you either have to modify the stock 3 bolt sprockets to take 2 bolt cams or buy adapting sprockets. Modifying the stock sprockets requires special attention. Allen head bolts must be used. Their heads turned down slightly to clear the cam chain. The sprocket centers need to be resized for the larger boss on the cam & locating the new holes is critical. It's not for the average guy to take on...

J cams are .340" as I recall. Same as an old Andrews 1x cam.

Didnt say they were drop in.He asked what a "J" cam was and I tried to explain.I knew there were mods involved in getting J series parts to work in an earlier head,but so be it.According to my shop manual,the series "J" intake is .366 lift,about same as old Andrews 2x cam,no?I realize Im no expert here but Im trying.bj

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2011 06:02 #433293 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Can I use newer stock cams to boost my 78 kz1000?
hocbj23 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

hocbj23 wrote:

Nelson wrote:

Hey kawasakiman do you have the cams these guys are describing? What's a "real" J cam?

81-82 Kawasakis KZ1000 are designated models J (standard),K(LTD), and M(CSR) .Engines on the LTD and CSR are identical except CSR cams are designed for a gear/cable driven tach.LTD and CSR are rated at 92 hp,the J model is 102hp.All three are 998cc.Only difference is cams.So u really need the J bike cams for any improvement.Also kinda hard to locate,but there are lots of K and M cams floating around.I have a set of both K and M cams if u need them .Only difference is the gear boss for the M bikes cable driven tach.bj

BJ,

On a J motor bike like the LTD or CSR, the J cams are a simple swap and no additional sprockets are required. It's really a nice, inexpensive upgrade for those bikes.

On a KZ motor, to use those cams, you either have to modify the stock 3 bolt sprockets to take 2 bolt cams or buy adapting sprockets. Modifying the stock sprockets requires special attention. Allen head bolts must be used. Their heads turned down slightly to clear the cam chain. The sprocket centers need to be resized for the larger boss on the cam & locating the new holes is critical. It's not for the average guy to take on...

J cams are .340" as I recall. Same as an old Andrews 1x cam.

Didnt say they were drop in.He asked what a "J" cam was and I tried to explain.I knew there were mods involved in getting J series parts to work in an earlier head,but so be it.According to my shop manual,the series "J" intake is .366 lift,about same as old Andrews 2x cam,no?I realize Im no expert here but Im trying.bj

BJ,

I realize that. I wasn't belittling you or demeaning your effort. I just explained to you about the sprockets and correct lift of a J cam.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
25 Feb 2011 06:47 #433299 by tachrev
Here is a "simulation" of what you would gain.
1015cc
34mm carbs
Stock head (based on the flow numbers on Larry's site)
Sidewinder header (based on my measurements of my own)

2 stock intake cams(current) vs. stock intake and exhaust(last).

These would be crank numbers, not wheel numbers.

Basically you pick up 1 hp peak (yes, one horsepower!), and a little more "overrev".

It's not much. Stock intake cams are cheap though.

Up to you if it's worth the work. I was thinking of doing the same thing in the past.

Larry: I would love to get detailed dimensions and flow charts for stock heads and ported heads, to use for this.

Garbage in = Garbage out, better data is always...um, better.

Let me know if that is something you have and would be willing to share.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
25 Feb 2011 07:29 - 25 Feb 2011 07:44 #433313 by nads.com
Nelson wrote:

hah! yes I did notice the ports were a lot smaller than the carbs. I matched them real nice an smooth-like... and regardless of port sizes, I did feel a very significant improvement in low rpm power over the stockers.

See Dave understands - cheap is the key word here. I enjoy making something from nothing. I'm NOT buying a bunch of expensive performance parts. I just can't justify the expense right now. Just freshening up the stock stuff is pricey enough.

The BS34s were essentially free because I sold the old carbs for the same price... see how I think now? :lol:[/quote
"I did notice a very signifigant boost"

And he never said "BOGS, OH AND THE TERRIBLE FLAT SPOT AT 4GRAND"!

Another kz zooms away into the night, another boat wonders aimless throughout the bay, the rider knowing come morning he will have to hide

He wanders back and forth along the road, whiskey taking effect, his mind rehashes the harsh reality of having been told he's too old to be on the forum.

But now he doesn't have to adhere to forum rules, what a great night he thinks, as he relishes the fact he is once again his own person, and his decisions are purely plummerial.

He reaches into his overalls through the baseball size hole in the chest where his glow in the dark pace maker used to be, neigbor shot him for groping, pulls out the 28mm carb that took the place of his old teddy dave stole when at his house, and gives it passionater kisses than ever before, it's all over, and it's been a good day.

Bs34's, in memory of what was...

Before cattle

Last edit: 25 Feb 2011 07:44 by nads.com.

More
25 Feb 2011 07:42 #433316 by PLUMMEN
Nebr_Rex wrote:

How about just a slightly bigger intake cam and leave the exhaust alone.

what comes in must go out at some point :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Feb 2011 07:51 - 25 Feb 2011 08:49 #433318 by PLUMMEN
nads.com wrote:

Nelson wrote:

hah! yes I did notice the ports were a lot smaller than the carbs. I matched them real nice an smooth-like... and regardless of port sizes, I did feel a very significant improvement in low rpm power over the stockers.

See Dave understands - cheap is the key word here. I enjoy making something from nothing. I'm NOT buying a bunch of expensive performance parts. I just can't justify the expense right now. Just freshening up the stock stuff is pricey enough.

The BS34s were essentially free because I sold the old carbs for the same price... see how I think now? :lol:[/quote
"I did notice a very signifigant boost"

And he never said "BOGS, OH AND THE TERRIBLE FLAT SPOT AT 4GRAND"!

Another kz zooms away into the night, another boat wonders aimless throughout the bay, the rider knowing come morning he will have to hide

He wanders back and forth along the road, whiskey taking effect, his mind rehashes the harsh reality of having been told he's too old to be on the forum.

But now he doesn't have to adhere to forum rules, what a great night he thinks, as he relishes the fact he is once again his own person, and his decisions are purely plummerial.

He reaches into his overalls through the baseball size hole in the chest where his glow in the dark pace maker used to be, neigbor shot him for groping, pulls out the 28mm carb that took the place of his old teddy dave stole when at his house, and gives it passionater kisses than ever before, it's all over, and it's been a good day.

Bs34's, in memory of what was...

Before cattle

:laugh:heres a flashback for ya nads! :woohoo: have you ever tried flushing a 10 lb of drugs down the toilet when the cops are kicking in the door in the door thinking to yourself damn i wish i had spent that $1.59 at walmart for those little sandwich bags?
thinking to yourself how much easier they would have gone down that itty bitty pipe? :woohoo:

yeah you remember the big raid after the crosby/stills/hash concert in the hotel! :woohoo:

Last edit: 25 Feb 2011 08:49 by PLUMMEN.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2011 10:20 #433339 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Can I use newer stock cams to boost my 78 kz1000?
tachrev wrote:

Here is a "simulation" of what you would gain.
1015cc
34mm carbs
Stock head (based on the flow numbers on Larry's site)
Sidewinder header (based on my measurements of my own)

2 stock intake cams(current) vs. stock intake and exhaust(last).

These would be crank numbers, not wheel numbers.

Basically you pick up 1 hp peak (yes, one horsepower!), and a little more "overrev".

It's not much. Stock intake cams are cheap though.

Up to you if it's worth the work. I was thinking of doing the same thing in the past.

Larry: I would love to get detailed dimensions and flow charts for stock heads and ported heads, to use for this.

Garbage in = Garbage out, better data is always...um, better.

Let me know if that is something you have and would be willing to share.

I'm in agreement. A minor increase in power at the loss of the stock tachometer. Just depends on how one looks at things.....

Here's my latest use for GP11 cams. Just finished it :)
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2011 10:22 - 25 Feb 2011 10:30 #433341 by larrycavan
:)

1075 Wiseco 10.5:1 pistons
83 GPz11 cams
93CFM Cavanaugh Head with stock valves
APE Case & cylinder Studs with APE Nuts
Pearson Crank
Stock trans with new friction plates and springs
RS34 Mikunis
New Cam Chain

Guaranteed Fun

Under $4000 total
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Feb 2011 10:30 by larrycavan.

More
25 Feb 2011 10:36 #433342 by PLUMMEN
hey ive got a picture like that on my phone! :laugh:

Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2011 12:58 #433389 by Nelson
OK so would DFIGPZ's GPz Cams require mods to fit or not? I'm not understanding that.

Hey Old Man Rock - yes I thought about dropping the gearing, but I really don't want it turning any faster on the freeway. I'm happy with the current gearing.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.