Bikes kickstart won't move

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
03 Aug 2010 23:29 #388041 by Cookie1893
Replied by Cookie1893 on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Yeah I deffinatly know I'm going to need new pistons. I still have to check the heads and crankshaft. Like that one user said above, I'm going to have to do a complete tear down.

1977 KZ-650 total motor rebuild project

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Aug 2010 06:54 #388067 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
The white crap on the tops of the pistons may be just old dried out carbon. The problem I could see from his pictures is that it was open to the weather on both sides of the head, letting in moisture. The bores are probably rusty, as everyone says tear it down for a look. Your Auto Shop at School will be helpful. Also you will be getting the chance to learn a lot more than a text book will every teach you. Depending on well set up the shop is you may be able to do the head rebuild, bore the block, etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
04 Aug 2010 07:56 #388076 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Motor Head wrote:

The white crap on the tops of the pistons may be just old dried out carbon. The problem I could see from his pictures is that it was open to the weather on both sides of the head, letting in moisture. The bores are probably rusty, as everyone says tear it down for a look. Your Auto Shop at School will be helpful. Also you will be getting the chance to learn a lot more than a text book will every teach you. Depending on well set up the shop is you may be able to do the head rebuild, bore the block, etc.

Umm, carbon does not turn white.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Aug 2010 08:50 #388088 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Yes it will, when moisture has been added sitting for years. Next your pistons will be corroding, and rings rusted to the bore. Its some sort of phase with an electrolysis process, corrosion stage.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
04 Aug 2010 09:33 #388098 by Cookie1893
The auto shop in my school came in number 16 out of all the high schools in the u.s. Also they enter speed build contests where they give the auto shop team a 350 and they have to dissassemble it and then put it all back together and it has to run. It also is the number one high school in Illinois (yes I do live in Illinois) so I'm sure this auto shop can help me ALOT.

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

More
04 Aug 2010 10:46 - 04 Aug 2010 10:48 #388114 by TerryK
Motor Head wrote:

Yes it will, when moisture has been added sitting for years. Next your pistons will be corroding, and rings rusted to the bore. Its some sort of phase with an electrolysis process, corrosion stage.

Are we talking about corrosion or carbon, or the results of corrosion caused by carbon? lol

Carbon itself will not turn white, but yes, it will help the process of the corrosion of aluminum resulting in the white substance.

1977 KZ1000
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 10:48 by TerryK.

More
04 Aug 2010 10:53 #388118 by TerryK
Back on topic, cookie1983, I'm glad you decided to go about this the proper way. It would be a shame to have the engine expire on you before you ever got to do anything with it. As you said, you'll learn a ton, have lots of help and have all the right tools to do the job. If possible, try to keep us updated with pictures and text about your project. I think it would be pretty cool to see the whole process with you and your classmates working on the old girl!

1977 KZ1000
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
04 Aug 2010 15:06 #388182 by Cookie1893
Yeah I wouldn't have even got that motor if I didn't have auto shop. Like I said before it's would be wonderful to get that running like a charm and then putting it in the back of a go cart. I will keep everyone posted on it and send pictures whenever I can.