Bikes kickstart won't move

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 16:39 #387752 by Cookie1893
Replied by Cookie1893 on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
I really don't know much about the accident. I think he just was going down the highway and fell off of it on a turn a the rear end slid under a car. That's all I know.

1977 KZ-650 total motor rebuild project

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 16:44 #387756 by Cookie1893
Okay so what exactly am I lookin for? I'm out here and I just took the stator cover off

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

More
02 Aug 2010 16:53 #387758 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Shiny metal (the king in circular patterns on the inside of the cover to indicate something taking chunks out of it).

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 17:02 #387759 by Cookie1893
It's seems fine. I've looked and I don't see nothing that's bad. Oh an by the way guys since it's a totalled bike bought from an insurance company and isn't fixable at all I planned on putting it on the back of a go cart. I will keep everyone posted on the build

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 20:03 #387814 by Cookie1893
Okay I hauled it in the shed tonight and I got it in neutral from an old foot shifter off my dads 77 Honda and it still wouldn't kick over even in neutral so it only means I need to loosen up the pistons and shaft with oil. By the way I gave it a nice hard kick and it budged just a little. I got my dads jumpers and it's trying very very hard to turn over so that's a good sign. I see some light at the end of tunnel! Thanks for everyones help and if I need anymore of it I won't hesitate to post. -Alex

More
02 Aug 2010 20:06 #387816 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Cookie1893 wrote:

Okay I hauled it in the shed tonight and I got it in neutral from an old foot shifter off my dads 77 Honda and it still wouldn't kick over even in neutral so it only means I need to loosen up the pistons and shaft with oil. By the way I gave it a nice hard kick and it budged just a little. I got my dads jumpers and it's trying very very hard to turn over so that's a good sign. I see some light at the end of tunnel! Thanks for everyones help and if I need anymore of it I won't hesitate to post. -Alex

I think it's time you pulled the side covers off that engine to see whats inside. Was it left outside for any length of time?

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 20:37 #387819 by Cookie1893
Supposedly it was left in the garage at all times then when he totalled it, it sat in the salvage yard for 2 months then stayed in a guys garage for 5 years and that's how it was when I picked it up

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 20:44 #387820 by Cookie1893
By the way it was a complete motor so there where no open ports or anything.

More
02 Aug 2010 21:56 #387834 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
i think it's time to throw in the towel.
even if you get it to turn over, that motor is destined to die a slow painful death.
even if it was in a garage 5 years is a long time to build up rust in cylinder walls etc.
sorry.

but hey, just take it apart. it's a good learning platform to see what and how these motors are built.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
02 Aug 2010 23:34 #387851 by Cookie1893
This motor has potential. So far u had it 2 days and I couldn't even get it to turn over when I brought it home and now it's starting to turn and the kick starter is starting to work. I say with a little work I can getting running with no problem. But I will keep you posted on my build and how the motor is coming along.

More
03 Aug 2010 06:04 #387870 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
If the exhaust was off and no carbs for all those years its toast. You might get it running but it wont run for long and will smoke like a mutha. Like was said before tear it down and get a good look at how the motor is built. You might get away with getting a set of cylinders off ebay and have a working motor.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Aug 2010 07:30 #387876 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Bikes kickstart won't move
Unfortunate but true, that motor needs to be torn down, or it will do it itself very soon if you get it running.

Its a rebuild project. It may not need alot, but deffinately needs more than just gas and air and oil.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)