clutch push-rod adjustment problem

More
05 Aug 2010 21:33 #388544 by badr0bot
Replied by badr0bot on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
The problem was the bearing that resides in the pressure plate. (see photo below) The old bearing, on the left, was not only falling out of the race but the push-rod had ground out at least a 3/16" hole into the center piece that the push-rod pushes against.
Great evidence that its important to back off the adjustment screw at least a 1/4 turn. I also bought a new clutch release arm spring. The new spring was at least a 1/2" longer than the old spring. That took care of the slack making the clutch hand lever a lot more responsive and the adjustment was a breeze.

87 KZ1000 P1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 04:06 #388568 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
I'm glad you got that sorted out. I will file all this away in my faulty memory. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2010 13:00 #388704 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
Did u put a bearing in the pilot hole where the actuator arm goes or is ur arm up against the bearing surface?Seems to me if a bearing does go in there it would eliminate the issue u had with ur bearing--and maybe mine as well.bj

More
06 Aug 2010 18:08 #388789 by badr0bot
Hoc, When you say "actuator arm" do you mean the push-rod? My bike doesn't have a ball in the clutch actuation sequence. My push-rod pushes against a flat center piece that goes in the pressure plate bearing. You can see in the photo in my post above of the new bearing assembly that there is no cup to hold any kind of a ball.

If you look at the Kawasaki parts diagrams below for my bike (1st image 87 kz1000) and yours (2nd image: 82 kz1100) you will see just how different my clutch release mechanism is from yours. I believe the mysterious ball that everyone is talking about is part number 600 on your bike.

87 KZ1000 P1

More
06 Aug 2010 18:13 #388790 by badr0bot
Just to add a little more info, my photo showing the old and new bearings side by side are part numbers 92045A and 13091 in the first parts diagram above.

87 KZ1000 P1

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2010 06:51 #388885 by hocbj23
OK .Thanks.On the actuator arm (shaft) No.13116 above,my shop manual shows a spring thet goes over that arm and the "mystery ball bearing" no.600 that fits in the hole in the block that part no.13116 rides in.Apparently this set up was only for the 82 "J" and 1100 bikes.Even in your diagram above,the spring doesnt show up,but there is one on my bike,so a little mystery continues.I think I will just take the clutch entirely out and have a look-see at the entire assembly laid out on my work bench and see what goes where.And since the clutch has never been replaced and is now 30 years old,I may just replace the whole shooting match.Lol.bj

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2010 13:46 #389655 by hocbj23
OK just brief closure on this issue.Readjusted the clutch push rod as per the footnoted instructions for the 82 J and 1100 bikes (counterclockwise on the set screw).No more "suicide clutch" and now the slack is gone from the cable as well.Lesson:Read Manual carefully including footnotes.Thanks all.bj

More
03 Jun 2019 14:24 #805085 by Dragon man
Replied by Dragon man on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
I have a 82 Kawasaki kz440. The clutch cable broke . Replace it now it wont come out of neutral. Can turn clutch release by hand . What do I need to fix it

More
03 Jun 2019 16:15 #805098 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
Since you are new here, you may not have realized that nobody has posted to this thread in almost nine years, and it was a thread about a kz1000 which has a different setup . In the future, you should start your own thread, or at least post in an active one that is about this problem on your model.

Anyway, one of the first questions you are likely to get is, have you carefully followed the procedure in the factory service manual? If you do not have one, there may be one to download from this site. Be sure to get one for your exact year and model, as Kawasaki has used several clutch release mechanisms.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
04 Jun 2019 06:11 - 04 Jun 2019 06:13 #805133 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
By Dragon man: I have a 82 Kawasaki kz440. The clutch cable broke . Replace it now it wont come out of neutral. Can turn clutch release by hand . What do I need to fix it.

The owner's manual should have the procedure. Some guys don't realize the om is kind of hidden in a pull-down document case on the underside of the seat. The basic procedure is to slacken the cable by turning in the thumb adjuster at the clutch lever & turning in the mid-cable barrel adjuster, then loosen the clutch release lock nut. Then for the actual adjustment, turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 turn & tighten the locknut. then adjust the cable to take up the excess slack. There should be a little free play in the clutch lever, a few mm. But check the manual to verify the procedure.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2019 06:13 by martin_csr.

More
05 Jun 2019 07:34 #805185 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem

TexasKZ wrote: Since you are new here, you may not have realized that nobody has posted to this thread in almost nine years, and it was a thread about a kz1000 which has a different setup . In the future, you should start your own thread, or at least post in an active one that is about this problem on your model.

Anyway, one of the first questions you are likely to get is, have you carefully followed the procedure in the factory service manual? If you do not have one, there may be one to download from this site. Be sure to get one for your exact year and model, as Kawasaki has used several clutch release mechanisms.

I realize that yes, the OP should have consulted his factory owners or service manual, but I think it's rather ironic to chastise him for re-starting a 9 year old thread. More often that not people get booed for asking something without doing a search first. In this case the OP must have done a search and came upon the 9 year old thread which he brought back to life with his question. So which way is a person supposed to go? Search and find something fairly close to your question, or not search and just ask away. Either way he risks being criticized for not doing the right thing. And maybe, just maybe he doesn't have a factory manual of any sort for his bike.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jun 2019 07:50 #805187 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic clutch push-rod adjustment problem
I don't mind resurrecting old threads. Problem is some pics aren't available anymore and spammers like to use them for their spew thinking no one will notice.
Good part it won't take up more space and gets everyone up to speed on what the new poster has already learned or not.
We always say do a search and he did. B)
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx