KZ750 noob engine disassembly - what work to do?

More
13 Jul 2010 22:17 #382457 by staniel
(wouldn't allow me to attach the image so I had to get creative again)

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2010 22:53 #382472 by MDawnz1
Just a thought ?
What about replacing the 1 sleeve with a good used one?
Still stock size.
Just have them honed, (or do it yourself) with a ball hone.
Add new rings and you are good to go for a good long time if it's all stock.
Sounds ALOT cheaper.
The only question is ,,,,,
What does the piston look like?
Did it get scuffed from the rust?

Like I said , just something to think about.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
14 Jul 2010 01:40 #382490 by staniel
...the friction surface of a cylinder can be replaced? That changes things...

A great idea. I had no idea.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
14 Jul 2010 11:04 #382627 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 noob engine disassembly - what work to do?
staniel wrote:

So, bummertown.

I took the cylinders and head to the shop today. The genius mechanic for whom the shop is named said "it looks like rust" (it's not red, but he knows more than I do and it sure looks metallurgical) and "I doubt it'll hone out and we'll probably need to bore it, but we'll try first".

He laid that out for me, that the bore is $50 per cylinder and a set of new pistons runs around $500. This is well out of my price range when stacked on top of the valve work they're gonna do, so if it doesn't hone out, I'm in a tough spot.

How bad an idea is it to ride with a dent like that in your cylinder if you get new rings? Am I damning by bike forever if I do it? Have any of you ridden with obvious chunks (visible, pads of fingers can feel it, but very very shallow) in your cylinders?

I would look for a good used cylinder online.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Jul 2010 11:46 #382633 by staniel
Something like cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em&item=250359896609 I imagine? What would I do to install this? Bore the cylinder and slip this in there, then hone/bore it to match the piston?

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
14 Jul 2010 12:29 #382637 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic KZ750 noob engine disassembly - what work to do?
I have build invey !!!!
Cant wait for it to get cold im so gonna rip mine down like this if not this winter next for sure.

I know what it is like to be on a budget but if you can swing it there is a fuse up date in the articles .

simple question my bike has say 22 k and i have thought about doin a tear down saw here that someone waits till around 75 k

Will my bike make it threw another summer ???
I ride HARD and im not shure i stay on the oil like a champ if it is dark or nasty it is changed !!

Just new guys bear with me ..

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
14 Jul 2010 12:30 #382638 by Patton
staniel wrote:

Something like cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em&item=250359896609 I imagine? What would I do to install this? Bore the cylinder and slip this in there, then hone/bore it to match the piston?

No boring necessary. Just replace the sleeve.

Click > Julia Chiles method

In the Search Forum box, type sleeve heat oven or something similar to get links for several earlier threads about replacing sleeves.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Jul 2010 15:25 #382659 by steell
An alternative is to look around for a good used motor.
You should be able to find one for $250 or less.

KD9JUR

More
14 Jul 2010 23:15 #382783 by MDawnz1
The question STILL is ,,,
How is the piston ?

Changing out 1 cyl, is not that big a deal.

If the piston in that hole is beat then you are wasting your time with the just 1 cyl. trick.
If you ask very nicely and pay for shipping someone here might even have one liner for you.

It can't hurt to ask.
But you need to know what you need first.
NO ONE wants to give you parts that you won't use.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
14 Jul 2010 23:22 #382784 by staniel
Sorry for not answering that question. I had answered it in my head and assumed that was good enough for the internet.

The piston looked fine. I'm not qualified to say for sure that it's fine, but I could see wear on neither the piston nor the rings. I didn't inspect it intensely, but it also makes sense that the piston is fine given that there are no strange vertical wear marks around the spot in the cylinder.

The folks at the shop said that replacing only one of the four sleeves is madness - that it should be done all four at once.

I said "that's still cheaper than a full piston set!"

On a side note, do piston rings ever break when the block comes off? I pulled half a piston ring off one of the pistons and never found the other half. I'll be inspecting the crank case in the near future.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
15 Jul 2010 00:36 #382791 by MDawnz1
Yes rings break,
And of course they fall into the closest open hole.
Stuff CLEAN rags or old CLEAN T shirts into the holes.
As far as madness , If you were a paying customer I would tell you the same thing .
I put my 2cents worth in because you said you were bucks down and wanted to ride.
On a stock bike this should get you through a season of riding while you are saving money to do it right or buy a new bike.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
16 Jul 2010 16:55 #383173 by staniel

As far as madness , If you were a paying customer I would tell you the same thing .
I put my 2cents worth in because you said you were bucks down and wanted to ride.
On a stock bike this should get you through a season of riding while you are saving money to do it right or buy a new bike.

I really appreciate the suggestion. In fact, it's probably what I'm going to do. I just wonder - are they blowing smoke or is it actually true? What's the disadvantage to replacing a single sleeve? I can't imagine it being that bad, actually, so long as it matches the bore of the others..

Thank you so much for taking note of the fact that money is an issue. I'm trying to find the right balance of cost and "rightness".

I guess if it doesn't hone out I'll replace the sleeve, have it bored to match the other three, then get all new piston rings and put all the new gaskets on.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike