new power for pens bike!!

More
20 Jul 2010 19:41 #384218 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic new power for pens bike!!
dont let that stop ya,we'll shame Larry into some progress pics! :laugh: even craig is tuned in for this one! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2010 20:02 - 20 Jul 2010 20:19 #384242 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic new power for pens bike!!
testarossa wrote:

Let me be the first to apologize to Ben for an epic thread hijack. Come on Larry. We need some updates. I was getting ready to reply to hardrock when I remembered where I was.

I had to jump on some cylinderhead porting this week for another Canadian customer. Probably be next week before I have any progress photos of Penn's engine.

Been in touch with Ben though. He's got aspirations on another project after this one. We'll fill you in as it develops. I'll say this much...it's going to be a Big Mutha... ;)

So while you wait...sombody PLEASE change Dave's diaper :laugh: It's got to be loaded up good after a ride on the Busa :woohoo:

Oh...you want a pic of me to Chop Dave....well here ya go then....have at it fat boy :woohoo:
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2010 20:19 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2010 20:16 - 20 Jul 2010 20:26 #384248 by larrycavan
hardr0ck68 wrote:

testarossa wrote:

I actually like the z1000 on specs alone. The styling is a little iffy, but I would probably ride it. With that said, give me a $1000 KZ an the balance of the msrp on that z1000 to fix it up.

I think a more fair comparison would be how the bike fares compared to the bikes of the time. In 74, the z1 = King of the Hill. In 2011, the z1000 = court jester. It may be entertaining, but it doesn't rule.

True but if they compared the Z1 to the zx10 then what would they say? One handles well, looks go, is instantly fast, uses NASA like technology and the other is a favorite of old people. As least picking a sport bike (instead of a super sport) the Z1 had a leg to stand on. Lets face it, if z1's were perfect in their day folks wouldn't be adding turbos, cams, head work, swing arm mods, fork swaps, 520 chains, oil coolers, digital gauges, modern brakes, gussets ect

As for the "how long will they last" argument, I don't believe they will make it 200,000 miles like Ron's KZ650 but they will be reliable bikes past 30,000 miles; and many of the z1's/kz's we all restore have 30,000 miles or less on them. So I would think if kept well and not abused they will last just as long. Chances are though, more will be scraped out because in the sport bike world new is better and a 5 year old bike is not worth the effort to rebuild once it has been downed.

New bikes are faster, safer, stop quicker, rev higher and are smarter than the old ones we play on. That is not say the old bikes should not be enjoyed... but they will never be "sport bike killers"

True enough about the differences but there's another very important aspect. The Z1 has a touch of class that none of the new bikes come close to. How could they? They're from another era...a different mind set...

What I'm finding as I get older....I like old things even more :laugh:

The elegance of the lines of the 70's Z1/KZ series is to me something akin to the hemi-cudas, challangers, chargers,camaro, GTO, firebird...etc.

All those are from period of time when us old guys were young. We were doing the things we brag about today. Life was full of promise and the sky wasn't even the limit.

Many things from that period of our lives was better in certain ways. Life was simple. Now we have kids and grand kids, wives, bills, stress......Anything that lets us escape for a few hours back in time is actually good for us old guys....

I find it remarkable that I see quite a few younger guys on here that admire the toys we played with...God Bless each and every one of them... :)

From the old days...

Last edit: 20 Jul 2010 20:26 by larrycavan.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
20 Jul 2010 21:57 #384276 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic new power for pens bike!!
I'm surprised no one has put OMR and his boat, in Larry's picture yet.....I'll give it a shot!
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2010 14:20 #384396 by larrycavan
like this?
Attachments:

• kzz1p
  • User
More
21 Jul 2010 14:30 #384399 by kzz1p
Oh $hit! that is to damn funny. It's nice to see a fun family event.

larrycavan wrote:

like this?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2010 14:31 #384400 by larrycavan
Or this?
Attachments:

• kzz1p
  • User
More
21 Jul 2010 14:36 #384402 by kzz1p
Larry
Your getting sicker by the day, sometimes change is good!

larrycavan wrote:

Or this?

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
21 Jul 2010 14:49 #384405 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic new power for pens bike!!
i had my kz at the track last thurs. I guy passed me on the first lap and turned and gave me a big thumbs up, then road on. I thought to myself, self, wtf? Did I just do something ???? there was a new batch of guys there with newer liter bikes(1 B King). they spanked me all over the track, every turn and every straight. but when we came off of the track they came by my pit and gave praise to the old Z. they reminisced about the old KZ's and how they loved them, they were all in there 30's id say.
Old bikes just rock like an old classic car. It doesn’t matter what I mod on my kz I will never be able to beet a zx10, on a rd race track, but it’s a lot of fun . B)

Ben, what do u have to say? u have 2 bike that have some serious AWWWE factor. u have 2 of the most ultamate bikes of there time. does 1 get more praise or respect,than the other? or dif kinds of responces for each?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
21 Jul 2010 16:33 #384431 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic new power for pens bike!!
The turbo bike turns heads for sure....the girls like the color....and most guys like it ....even if they are not sure why....a few know what it is.

the kz is a whole other trip...alot of the young guys dont get it...but some do....
all the guys my age like it for sure.

BUT!!! none of them get as much attention as a harley!!! ;-)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2010 17:39 - 21 Jul 2010 17:40 #384451 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic new power for pens bike!!
Are you being serious or sarcastic, because on face value that makes me depressed. And I live in the land of Harley. :blush: On top of that, I would consider myself one of the "young" guys still....maybe I'm just getting old.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2010 17:40 by DoubleDub.

More
21 Jul 2010 17:59 #384461 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic new power for pens bike!!
irishwill wrote:

The turbo bike turns heads for sure....the girls like the color....and most guys like it ....even if they are not sure why....a few know what it is.

the kz is a whole other trip...alot of the young guys dont get it...but some do....
all the guys my age like it for sure.

BUT!!! none of them get as much attention as a harley!!! ;-)

thats why ya build what you like,forget everybody else and concentrate on what you like. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.