Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?

More
17 Feb 2010 09:11 #348784 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
if youre going to all the trouble of tearing it down that far why not atleast check the guides and replace the seals? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2010 09:43 #348786 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
definitly do the seals and check the stem to guide clearance that could be part of the reason it was so carboned up in the first place.there is always time to do it right, never to do it over.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
17 Feb 2010 10:46 #348797 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
otakar wrote:

zed1015 wrote:

Best thing to use for removing carbon is a piece of copper plumbing tube flattened at one end to form a scraper. The copper is harder than the carbon but softer than the alloy so no fear of damaging your castings or valve seats. Then lightly finish off with fine wire wool and polish with solvol if required. Also recommend replacing stem seals if pulling the valves as they are much cheaper than another top end strip and new gaskets later on.

I never knew that there was something "harder than carbon but softer than Aluminum" :blink: :woohoo: I think you have just become a rich and famous person :laugh:

OOp's :blush: . That should have read Hard enough to scrape off the carbon without damaging the casting. A well know method that's been around since god was a nipper.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
17 Feb 2010 12:38 #348823 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
You're going to get 10 replies telling you not to do this. To save everyone the trouble; Yes, it is caustic and yes, the mfg. does not recommend using it on aluminum. All I can say is it works great for me. Try it at your own risk. Spray the chamber with EZ Off oven cleaner, immediately work it with a stiff bristle nylon brush for a minute of so, and rinse with water. You may have to repeat this a few times for heavy deposits.
The manufacturer say it may cause discoloration (who cares in a CC) or mild pitting. Aluminum comes in a variety of alloys, and the warning has to consider all types. The soft polished cosmetic aluminum trim on an oven is far from the stuff your head is made of. Pitting may be a problem if you let it soak for a long period (like the 30 minutes listed in the instructions). I've never experienced any pitting.
Personally, I've caused more damage being overly aggressive with a wire brush or scraper than I ever have with EZ Off.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
17 Feb 2010 12:57 #348826 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Here is my head after baking soda blasting, the whole head looked brand new. I lapped my valves back in and the seats seem to have no damage whatsoever.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
17 Feb 2010 13:58 #348833 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
I've done the EZ-OFF and that works good.
Wire wheeled before, that also works good, but long and tedious.
Soda is a good alternative, if it is applied correctly.
It will not damage even soft metals, and removes just about everything otherwise.
I've used gasoline before as well, left overnight works ok.

If I were in a hurry, the EZ-OFF or similar would be my way to go.
For a real pro cleanup, I'd have it soda'd.

In any case, I would be having the seats/valves cut new and lapped in.

ANYWHO... :laugh:

Whatever you do, just don't FUBAR the seats. :woohoo:

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
17 Feb 2010 15:49 #348848 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Be careful using oven cleaner. See advice below from

www.easyoff.us/faq.shtml

Can EASY-OFF® Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner be used on any aluminum?
We do not recommend using this product on aluminum, as it may pit and discolor it. However, it does not penetrate into the metal or remain on the surface after the recommended rinsing instructions have been followed. Utensils and appliances cleaned with EASY-OFF® Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner are completely safe for use in cooking or serving food after they have been thoroughly washed and rinsed in a vinegar and water solution.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Feb 2010 16:55 #348862 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
i have one question why does everybody think it's a good idea to lap valves. if the valve job is done right you wont need to. if you lap valves all you are doing is wearing the freshly cut seat and your new or resurfaced valve out with grindin paste, kind of defeating the purpose of a valve job in the first place isn't it. if there are any small chatter marks left behind by the cutters with in seconds of fire up they will all flaten out anyway.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
17 Feb 2010 19:39 #348894 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
timebomb33 wrote:

i have one question why does everybody think it's a good idea to lap valves. if the valve job is done right you wont need to. if you lap valves all you are doing is wearing the freshly cut seat and your new or resurfaced valve out with grindin paste, kind of defeating the purpose of a valve job in the first place isn't it. if there are any small chatter marks left behind by the cutters with in seconds of fire up they will all flaten out anyway.

Define everybody! im the one whos usually on here talking against lapping valves! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2010 04:14 #348918 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Has anyone used Seafoam?
I mean this stuff seems to work on a running engine but what about as a soaking agent and tooth brush for cleaning.... Does it work... hmmm, me wonder...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
18 Feb 2010 05:16 #348925 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
a valve job should be done with a slight difference in the angle cut on the valve and on the seat, normally about half a degree, this gives it a sharp edge to start the valve and seat to " seat " themselves in.
Lapping the valves does 2 things,1 it starts the seating process and 2 it confirms that the contact pattern is correct for the valve and seat.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
18 Feb 2010 05:16 #348926 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Has anyone used Seafoam?
I mean this stuff seems to work on a running engine but what about as a soaking agent and tooth brush for cleaning.... Does it work... hmmm, me wonder...

OMR

No dice on the seafoam. My cc's were pretty bad but no amount of chemical would touch it. I even soaked it in dichloromethane and it did nothing.