Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?

More
16 Feb 2010 21:46 #348726 by polkat
Okay, pistons and cylinders are done, now it's on to head on my 750-4. Chamber and valve tops are covered with wet looking carbon, obvious from oil burning (no gas smell). I can pull the valves and clean them on my steel wire wheel. But can I use a soft wire wheel, say brass or copper, on a drill, to clean the chambers, or would it damage the aluminum?

Further, the stems on all the valves are pretty clean, not wet with oil, so can I assume the seals are okay?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2010 22:35 #348728 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
I would always put in new valve seals because I have had so much problems with them.

I don't think I would take a wire wheel to the head surfaces, can you get a bead blast?

Maybe even scotchbrite pads and nasty solvent.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Feb 2010 01:52 #348736 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Yea, I'll try the scotch bright first and see how it goes. As far as nasty solvent, well, I've been asking here and elsewhere about a solvent that actually works on aluminum, and as you might guess, I've heard a hundred different answers. I've tried Chemtool, acetone, gas, carb cleaner, etc. and nothing works very well. There are some strong Gunk cleaners out there, but they don't suggest use on aluminum.

I've noticed that the valve seals average about $2.50 apiece from most distributors. I've read where Suzuki seals can be used as a substitute, but they are about the same price. I'm poor (really poor), and wondering if any car seals would work as a substitute?

More
17 Feb 2010 03:29 #348737 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Best thing to use for removing carbon is a piece of copper plumbing tube flattened at one end to form a scraper. The copper is harder than the carbon but softer than the alloy so no fear of damaging your castings or valve seats. Then lightly finish off with fine wire wool and polish with solvol if required. Also recommend replacing stem seals if pulling the valves as they are much cheaper than another top end strip and new gaskets later on.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
17 Feb 2010 04:59 #348744 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
If you are going to take the head apart I recommend having it soda blasted. Th ehad will look brand new, and there is no chance for it to get damaged.

More
17 Feb 2010 05:09 #348748 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
If you have the head pulled apart, a wire brush on a drill will clean the carbon from the ports, just dont get too agressive with it , and stay away from the seats,
Also, make sure you keep the valves in order so they can go back in the same spot they came from, otherwise you will need to grind the valves and seats.

any blasting will clean the head, but it will also mess up the seats.

last,,as stated,.replace the seals, you have it taken apart, nows the time to fix it right

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
17 Feb 2010 05:10 #348749 by 9am53
BSKZ650 wrote:

If you have the head pulled apart, a wire brush on a drill will clean the carbon from the ports, just dont get too agressive with it , and stay away from the seats,
Also, make sure you keep the valves in order so they can go back in the same spot they came from, otherwise you will need to grind the valves and seats.

last,,as stated,.replace the seals, you have it taken apart, nows the time to fix it right

Why would soda blasting mess up the seats?

More
17 Feb 2010 05:13 #348752 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
9am53 wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

anytime you media blast the seats, it takes the edge of of them, viaa the media hitting the seat, it changes the contact pattern, you might get away with relapping the valves, but not something I would do

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Feb 2010 05:16 - 17 Feb 2010 05:20 #348753 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
zed1015 wrote:

Best thing to use for removing carbon is a piece of copper plumbing tube flattened at one end to form a scraper. The copper is harder than the carbon but softer than the alloy so no fear of damaging your castings or valve seats. Then lightly finish off with fine wire wool and polish with solvol if required. Also recommend replacing stem seals if pulling the valves as they are much cheaper than another top end strip and new gaskets later on.

I never knew that there was something "harder than carbon but softer than Aluminum" :blink: :woohoo: I think you have just become a rich and famous person :laugh: A Popsicle stick with "Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner" (Part # 04318001) work great, If your valves don't leak, just leave the spark plugs in and fill the chambers up with the stuff and let it sit over night. When you come back the next day just wipe it out with a rag. They will look like this.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Feb 2010 05:20 by otakar.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
17 Feb 2010 05:26 #348754 by 9am53
I guess I just don't understand how baking soda can do anything to steel when it doesn't do anything to aluminum

BSKZ650 wrote:

9am53 wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

anytime you media blast the seats, it takes the edge of of them, viaa the media hitting the seat, it changes the contact pattern, you might get away with relapping the valves, but not something I would do

More
17 Feb 2010 06:44 #348766 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
if you decide to use a nylon wheel on a drill in the chambers stickthe valves back in there to protect the seats.
Dont forget to check valve guides,id definately replace the seals at a minimum and a valve job wouldnt hurt since youre that far in anyway.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Feb 2010 06:50 - 17 Feb 2010 06:51 #348768 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Cleaning carbon from combustion chambers?
Why put in all that effort, when you only have to soak it off, and get better and nondestructive results.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 17 Feb 2010 06:51 by otakar.