found stripped cam holder bolts

More
07 Feb 2010 10:47 #347089 by scubarod
Replied by scubarod on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
thanks thats the kind of thing i was looking for and i have 3 holes to repair and i will be going today to harbour freight to buy a in lb torque wrench,thanks for your help.however i am still not entirely sure how far to push my luck on torque,perhaps 80 in lbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2010 11:05 #347093 by KLD
Replied by KLD on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
I just torqued the bolts on my 73 z1 down to 105in/lb. They don't make torque specifications for looks ;)

More
07 Feb 2010 23:29 #347191 by scubarod
well i did go ahead and buy a heli coil kit and before i finished 5 hrs later i had to fix 5 holes! when i torqued i went to 90 in lbs and decided to stop before i wound up tapping more! i am not sure why the wrong spec is in the book but i basicly took what everyone said and made a educated guess on the torque this time!now i can check my valve clearances,thanks for everyones help and i can explain how i did it without removing the motor if anyone needs to know,thanks!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2010 03:51 #347194 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
30+ years with these motors. That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone using locktite on cam tower bolts....

That's a band-aid, not a proper fix.

If you need locktite to keep the bolts form backing out, then the threads are shot or you're doing something wrong. It's just that simple.

More
08 Feb 2010 08:19 #347219 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
Any explanation as to why a little drop of loctite is a bad thing???

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
08 Feb 2010 08:25 #347220 by scubarod
I ACTUALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE LOCTITE, BUT I WAS ABLE TO GET 90 IN LBS OF TORQUE NO PROBLEM! DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT IS ENOUGH TORQUE? BECAUSE I CANT TRUST MY MANUAL ON THIS ONE!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2010 16:44 #347460 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
jeffasaki wrote:

Any explanation as to why a little drop of loctite is a bad thing???

Absolutely you can have an explanation. Here it is. :)

You shouldn't ever need loctite on cam tower bolts. Can you do it? Sure you can. But the point is that's not a fix for loose cam tower bolt holes.

It bothers me when I see band-aids proposed as solutions, especially when it involves holding parts that are spinning at thousands of RPM inside a motor.

I think it was the same guy that proposed that solution that also said his cam towers had previously come loose and he spun a cam bearing. I've never seen that happen before either.

I've been doing this a long time. My advice is intended to point you in a direction that will keep your motor together and keep you safe. There's no cheap fix that's a viable alternative to a proper repair.

But the consensous of the crowd that's working on these old bikes seems to be one of how cheap can I do it and / or what's the quickest way around a real fix.

Saving money I can condone and sympathize with but when it comes to a band-aid that could potentialy lead to the desctruction of your motor, let alone the potential for a crash if it siezed up.....Well, that's something I feel pretty strongly about warning people to avoid.

More
09 Feb 2010 17:03 #347464 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
very good points......B)

More
09 Feb 2010 17:04 #347465 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
I was not implying Loctite as a fix to worn threads.I was suggesting putting a drop on to a properly repaired bolt hole,one that had already had a helicoil installed.I am quite aware that loctite is not a fix.I am also aware that these problematic 4 bolt cam bushing caps can use a little extra help.Certainly cant hurt.Peace

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
09 Feb 2010 17:33 #347471 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
I have thought about this a lot, and I wonder why you can't install studs in the head and use nyloc nuts. If you loc-tited the studs in, and used re-taped to a slightly over stock size I think you would be fine. The only issue would be the locating dowels...

Is there any reason this could not be done? If the stock sized threads were used you could even keep the locating dowels.

Just seems better to me... but what do I know I want to run my 650 at 14,000 revs :cheer: :laugh:

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
10 Feb 2010 06:38 #347551 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic found stripped cam holder bolts
Not that it matters, but a properly torqued camcap doesn't need loctite. All that does is booger up the threads worse than they already are. When you think about it there is constant tension on the bolts from the cams rotating, so chances of the bolts ever unthreading themselves, vibrating loose ect is nil, so no need to overtorque or loctite. They never vibrate loose. Well one case was mentioned, but rather hard to explain how it happened. They actually seem to tighten over time. If you ever go to remove them they will be torqed down 50% more than what you originally tightened them to. One of them unexplained phenomenon.:)
The studs could work, but I think the problem is to have the studs long enough to enable installing the caps and working with cam lobes, the studs would have to be long. Long enough they would extend an inch above the nut after the cap was torqued. I doubt the valve cover would accomodate the studs.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.