This could potentially suck

More
25 Oct 2009 09:07 #329491 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic This could potentially suck
i put a quick 35 miles on it and the bike runs great...first start of the day smoked a little again after about 5 secs of choke and did it for about 4-5 secs , then cleared up...i noticed
it was running a tad rough on choke....just thinking out loud, but could i have a cylinder firing itermittantly thats allowing a little fuel to wash out the cylinder when cold and on choke?.....the oil i took out didnt smell like fuel.......i m leaning away from something requiring a teardown and more towards something like a crappy plug or low juice to coils......have to investigate.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2009 09:23 #329493 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic This could potentially suck
isn't working on your 30 year old GF (KZ) fun! :kiss: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Larry & Plum get all wound up on me at times for any little hick-up and I'm like ok, have to tear into her, have to understand why, have to have to...

Hell to this day, Plum still bust my nads on how I broke the engine in after my build... He says "crap, you don't need to run her for break in/ring sealing for you manually turned that motor over by hand enough times"....:blush:

They just scream "Go ride the hell out of her already".... :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
25 Oct 2009 09:23 #329494 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic This could potentially suck
While not a fan of the Royal Purp I can't see how it is causing this. Unless with the coming of cool weather condensation is having an effect. Are you running it up to temp all the time?

I would certainly insure it is running right without misfiring also.

GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
25 Oct 2009 09:44 #329499 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

isn't working on your 30 year old GF (KZ) fun! :kiss: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Larry & Plum get all wound up on me at times for any little hick-up and I'm like ok, have to tear into her, have to understand why, have to have to...

Hell to this day, Plum still bust my nads on how I broke the engine in after my build... He says "crap, you don't need to run her for break in/ring sealing for you manually turned that motor over by hand enough times"....:blush:

They just scream "Go ride the hell out of her already".... :laugh:

at this point i m tending to favor that way of thinking....go out and beat it like rented mule and if something breaks....there s the problem!!!:laugh: :laugh:

More
25 Oct 2009 09:45 #329500 by keith1
Locozuna wrote:

While not a fan of the Royal Purp I can't see how it is causing this. Unless with the coming of cool weather condensation is having an effect. Are you running it up to temp all the time?

I would certainly insure it is running right without misfiring also.

GLuck

up to temp most of the time...once in a while not.....

More
25 Oct 2009 15:49 #329576 by keith1
well i did a second ride today and bike ran excellent...i ve had to re-adjust cam chain as i heard a rattle at like 6500 on the way up..put it at T for 1/4...ape manual one and sure enough when i loosened lock nut, i could turn the bolt by hand very easily..loosey goosey..tightened it up by hand and gave it 1/2 turn with wrench.....started bike , sounds good.....i could be totally out in left field on this but, my smoke problem when cold could be smeg burning off pistons and valves due to the fact that i put 1k miles on this thing with the cams slightly out of phase..add in the fact that i put seafoam in the tank , and the crap is burnin right off.....bike also runs way cooler, apparently that issue can be attributed to cams being slightly out....
i m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a lot of stuff is starting to make sense.....:blink:

More
25 Oct 2009 16:19 #329582 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

Most definately for this would throw TDC way off in regards to ignition (combustion chamber) timings!

NOTE: If not on the money, this would advance or retard the timing off TDC by more then 10 degrees, so it would be whacked if this is the case!

In my build and in my 105 lobe center degreeing of my cams, the DYNA S plate is rotated completely CCW and then some to get the static to hit the F mark and in obtaing advance marks in dynamic strobe light @ 2500rpm....

Obviously due to my cams versus yours, may be different but I'd verify just the same...

First do a static then dynamic... You may find the plate is where it needs to be...

Another thing is I can't remember if you're using adjustable cam sprockets... Are they correct regarding the cam degreeing to TDC?

If off, could expalin why excessive smoke due to valve openings when shouldn't be....

Not saying it is or isn't regarding the Dyna plate rotation, just something to think about and confirm just the same...

Just in case....

Dyna S write up:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=449&Itemid=108

Cam Degreeing write up:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=451&Itemid=108

Let us know how it works out for you...

Dave

Dave,
thanks for the input...i appreciate it...right now i m gonna leave timing at dead middle....as far as the cams, i put them in on stock sprockets....the marks, i figured
would make it easier to make sure cams were right....we all know now how that turned out...:laugh: ....plus they are mild drop in.....could they be degreed? yes....was it worth my money and time for the extra 4-5 horse...nope...
for some reason, i just didnt feel the need...i can be anal-retentive about a lot of things, but i figured 10.5 to 1 and 1075cc would fill my need for speed when called upon....i gotta say, big diff when ya straighten out the fundamentals...i porked it through 2nd and 3rd about a half mile from home and my non-motorhead wife said..."i could hear you coming".....i had to laugh.....

More
25 Oct 2009 17:11 #329593 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic This could potentially suck
The timing would not change because you set the cams with the crank on the f mark and moved the cams to reset them. The dyna and the crank are completely separate from the cams, and are locked together. The smoke was from unburned fuel in the pipes "burning off". They were loading up when the timing was off.

More
25 Oct 2009 17:16 #329598 by keith1
nads.com wrote:

The timing would not change because you set the cams with the crank on the f mark and moved the cams to reset them. The dyna and the crank are completely separate from the cams, and are locked together. The smoke was from unburned fuel in the pipes "burning off". They were loading up when the timing was off.

so you concur that my "smoke" is just excess carbon and fuel burning off now that timing is right?...if so, that would be a big relief.......

More
25 Oct 2009 18:22 #329616 by nads.com
Yes I do concur. Royal purple sounds like a black eye. Anything with the name "royal" makes me want to research it. Like maybe you could bake cookies with it, eat a few then go tricker treating. "Great costume"! "That purple mask looks just like skin"! What a beautiful crown that is"! What's that white smoke?

More
25 Oct 2009 18:25 #329618 by nads.com
How does that vh pipe sound? I'm thinking of buying one.

More
26 Oct 2009 03:15 #329675 by keith1
nads.com wrote:

How does that vh pipe sound? I'm thinking of buying one.

i like it...i have the comp baffle in it....then i stripped out all the packing and put the baffle core back in...sounds good not obnoxious at all and really sings up high...