This could potentially suck

More
24 Oct 2009 16:22 #329382 by keith1
This could potentially suck was created by keith1
so this past week i finally figure out my idle problem....cam timing was off...mark on ehaust sprocket was
about an inch above head and the 28 mark was at 10 or 11 oclock instead of 12...reset them and idles sweet...i guess i can count to 28, but i dont know what level is...:laugh:
take it for a quick test drive and bike rips....sweet....
fire up bike today and after about 10 secs on choke, it starts crop dusting the front yard...i m like "wtf?"...it did this one other time about a month ago....blowin oil...
oil pressure was good....maybe too good...guage was pinned at 14......after about 20 secs it cleared out... after it warmed up a bit.....nothing.....let it cool down a bit and fired it up again and a bit of smoke....its not the classic blue, but mostly white with a bit of blue....doesnt do it at all when up to 150degrees....i dumped the royal 20/50 oil and put in some 10/40 dino and it seemed better.....i did put some seafoam in the tank last nite and it used to make old topend make some white smoke....jugs , kit and head have a 1000 miles on em.....i m gonna try it again tommorow and put some miles on it...any ideas?:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2009 16:43 #329389 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic This could potentially suck
put some miles on it and see if it clears itself up B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Oct 2009 16:56 #329394 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic This could potentially suck
PLUMMEN wrote:

put some miles on it and see if it clears itself up B)

thats the plan.....if it continues, well i guess i got some decisions to make.....

More
24 Oct 2009 17:40 #329397 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic This could potentially suck
A guy I ride with had this happen last year. He dumped some royal purple in and got all kinds of smoke. He went ahead and ran it for about 3k miles. On his next oil change he drained it all and tore into the motor. Oddly enough he found that for some reason the rings looked like they had been hit with acid, the pistons were bad pitted, and the inside of the cylinders looked nasty ugly. Reworked motor, did another shot of the purple to try, nasty smoke again. drained it within 200 miles. It was starting to look nasty. cleaned it up and to this day 12000 miles later with amsoil its runs great. so evidently there is something in the purple that makes all this happen. I have read about this on other forums as well

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Oct 2009 17:46 - 24 Oct 2009 17:46 #329399 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic This could potentially suck
Stay away from the purple...

Miles are probly whats needed, a few tanks.

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 24 Oct 2009 17:46 by TeK9iNe.

More
24 Oct 2009 18:09 #329405 by keith1
cricketfire46 wrote:

A guy I ride with had this happen last year. He dumped some royal purple in and got all kinds of smoke. He went ahead and ran it for about 3k miles. On his next oil change he drained it all and tore into the motor. Oddly enough he found that for some reason the rings looked like they had been hit with acid, the pistons were bad pitted, and the inside of the cylinders looked nasty ugly. Reworked motor, did another shot of the purple to try, nasty smoke again. drained it within 200 miles. It was starting to look nasty. cleaned it up and to this day 12000 miles later with amsoil its runs great. so evidently there is something in the purple that makes all this happen. I have read about this on other forums as well

interesting....i thought royal had a good rep and although i winced at the price, i bought it....today,i didnt change filter, just dumped oil...gonna run it for a while and change both....gotta get a filter tonite, when it gets here, dumping everything.....thankfully, i write everything down and i have only 155 miles on the 12 buck a quart at napa crap......thanks for the info....my ass kinda hurts now....oh well, part of the learning curve...

More
24 Oct 2009 18:10 #329406 by keith1
TeK9iNe wrote:

Stay away from the purple...

Miles are probly whats needed, a few tanks.

Good luck!

B)

thanks, hopefully this will be rectified by a good flush....

More
24 Oct 2009 20:57 #329446 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic This could potentially suck
I don't understand how this type of damage could be caused by one particular brand of oil. I'm skeptical.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
25 Oct 2009 04:39 #329458 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic This could potentially suck
Just out of curiosity... did you re-set your ignition (Dyna or points) timing once you re-set your cam timing?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
25 Oct 2009 04:49 - 25 Oct 2009 04:50 #329460 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic This could potentially suck
Im with Terry, I dont see how the brand has any thing to do with it to make it smoke. Clutch problems maybe, but smoking and acid washing the rings and pistons.

keith1 wrote:

.my ass kinda hurts now.

Maybe the purple stuff will help with your pain.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 25 Oct 2009 04:50 by Kawickrice.

More
25 Oct 2009 06:35 #329474 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

Just out of curiosity... did you re-set your ignition (Dyna or points) timing once you re-set your cam timing?

OMR

i did dave.....its smack dab in the middle now on the dyna s.....would that have something to do with it?....

More
25 Oct 2009 08:06 #329482 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic This could potentially suck
Most definately for this would throw TDC way off in regards to ignition (combustion chamber) timings!

NOTE: If not on the money, this would advance or retard the timing off TDC by more then 10 degrees, so it would be whacked if this is the case!

In my build and in my 105 lobe center degreeing of my cams, the DYNA S plate is rotated completely CCW and then some to get the static to hit the F mark and in obtaing advance marks in dynamic strobe light @ 2500rpm....

Obviously due to my cams versus yours, may be different but I'd verify just the same...

First do a static then dynamic... You may find the plate is where it needs to be...

Another thing is I can't remember if you're using adjustable cam sprockets... Are they correct regarding the cam degreeing to TDC?

If off, could expalin why excessive smoke due to valve openings when shouldn't be....

Not saying it is or isn't regarding the Dyna plate rotation, just something to think about and confirm just the same...

Just in case....

Dyna S write up:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=449&Itemid=108

Cam Degreeing write up:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=451&Itemid=108

Let us know how it works out for you...

Dave

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az