kz900 strange engine noise

More
20 Dec 2009 13:54 #340028 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic kz900 strange engine noise
just my useless .02, but if the pump is orientated to the right side of the engine on the 900 and leaning bike that way when it s warm after oil thins out a bit lessens the noise, well you can guess the rest....the only other culprit
on that side is clutch and i think he has that covered...did you reuse old pump? would nt take much to pull exhaust and pan and put a pump in just to rule it out....although i would be surprised a working pump would make a huge racket.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2009 19:29 #340341 by mr kawasaki
Replied by mr kawasaki on topic kz900 strange engine noise
Not enough oil pressure getting to the top end because of the broke case weld them up

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki z900a4 1976 Croatia, Europe
More
23 Dec 2009 08:12 #340394 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic kz900 strange engine noise
The case is welded already
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...limitstart=40#338961

I tried to stetoscope the noise and seems strongest clanking is on the left side of the exhaust cam and near cam chain tunnel also in the area of exhaust cam.
I will try to ask some more experience service technician to get second opinion about this clanking before I tear it down again.

More
23 Dec 2009 10:03 #340405 by mduck
Replied by mduck on topic kz900 strange engine noise
My bike makes a similar noise at under 1200 rpm but it goes away as soon as you rev it, it sounds like a really back knock on one of the cylinders but i doudt its that since is goes away when the idle is turned up above 1000 - 1200 rpm.. i was looking around at the engine and realized that one of the bolts holding the cam chain tensioner to the block is partially unscrewd itself.. oil was leaking out a bit also. I stopped the bike right away, i think it might be the cam chain slapping around making the noise? i sure hope it is. I will reset the tensioner as soon as i get a chance and see what difference it makes

Brand new old
1982 Kz750

-mika-

More
24 Dec 2009 16:00 #340575 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic kz900 strange engine noise
is your chain roller gear thingy broken? ISS IT?

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Dec 2009 22:57 #340601 by OldSchoolHr
What chain roller!? If you think of center cam chain roller (12055-002), it is new. As well as its shaft and rubber dampers.

More
25 Dec 2009 00:05 #340603 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic kz900 strange engine noise
the one in the head:woohoo:

More
25 Dec 2009 07:58 #340628 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic kz900 strange engine noise
OldSchoolHr wrote:

I ordered a cam chain and I am waiting to come from z1e.
But I realy think that this isnt sound of bad cam chain. In the meantime I noticed another strange thing. When I hold motorcycle on the side stand or straight it knocks, but when I lean motorcycle to the right side, knocking sound immediately disappears. This is fuc*ing unbelievable.
I realy think that I have some kind of problem with starter clutch. I visually checked the starter clutch, but I think I'll have to dismantle the entire circuit, rotor, starter clutch and gear and review it.
I really dont know what else could be the problem :(

pull your valve cover off and look at cam lobes and buckets and cam bearings,right side of topend will be starved for oil on startup because your oil drains to left side of head when bike is on side stand.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Dec 2009 08:11 #340631 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic kz900 strange engine noise
"I tried to stetoscope the noise and seems strongest clanking is on the left side of the exhaust cam and near cam chain tunnel also in the area of exhaust cam."...

I had an intermittent "Squishing Sound" issue going on where I swore it was up[ top somewhere... Stethoscope it all the way down to the oil pump.... The noise was just being amplified up through the timing chain galley into the valve cover thus resonating...

For the life of me and others (I video recorded it) where others couldn't believe what I was describing... They thought I was insanely mad.... Then they saw the clip and replied, WTF is that! :blink: :S

Anyhoot, what where your oil pump measurements again?
Maybe I missed it in your replies....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 08:19 - 25 Dec 2009 08:26 #340634 by OldSchoolHr
Old Man Rock wrote:

Anyhoot, what where your oil pump measurements again?
Maybe I missed it in your replies....

OMR

I didnt make it yet.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2009 08:26 by OldSchoolHr.

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 08:22 #340635 by OldSchoolHr
PLUMMEN wrote:

OldSchoolHr wrote:

I ordered a cam chain and I am waiting to come from z1e.
But I realy think that this isnt sound of bad cam chain. In the meantime I noticed another strange thing. When I hold motorcycle on the side stand or straight it knocks, but when I lean motorcycle to the right side, knocking sound immediately disappears. This is fuc*ing unbelievable.
I realy think that I have some kind of problem with starter clutch. I visually checked the starter clutch, but I think I'll have to dismantle the entire circuit, rotor, starter clutch and gear and review it.
I really dont know what else could be the problem :(

pull your valve cover off and look at cam lobes and buckets and cam bearings,right side of topend will be starved for oil on startup because your oil drains to left side of head when bike is on side stand.

But I havent got problem at startup, my problem starts when engine is warm, after 5-10 min. And I hear knocking at left side which is always in oil.

More
25 Dec 2009 08:30 #340636 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic kz900 strange engine noise
start up is when the damage ocurs over the years .when the motor heats up thinning out oil causing clearance issues to show up. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.