kz900 strange engine noise

More
14 Sep 2009 11:55 #321597 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic kz900 strange engine noise
that my friend is a j clutch from the look of it. at least the pressure plate looks like it.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki z900a4 1976 Croatia, Europe
More
14 Sep 2009 12:36 - 14 Sep 2009 14:11 #321612 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic kz900 strange engine noise
Yes, I think I found it. Its 1983 gpz1100 or zx1100-a1 or kz1100 spectre... :S

[img
[img

This clutch have 6 springs and specific clutch push rod mushroom in 2 pieces (92026a and 92043). Now I know why my push rod is diferent from stock kz900a4. My push rod is this one below :huh:

[img

Does this means that my transmision also is from another kawasaki model?
Last edit: 14 Sep 2009 14:11 by OldSchoolHr.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:42 #321678 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic kz900 strange engine noise
I'll vote for a manifold leak.

A leak on #3 of my KZ1000 actually heated up the oil over the exhaust valve until it became thin enough as to ooze out of the tach drive (which was previously well-sealed)

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2009 12:32 #321800 by OldSchoolHr
chance wrote:

Watch out for those motor gremlins with their tiny little hammers..:lol: Sounds like the oil pump but what do I know...

I am increasingly suspicious of the oil pump. Sound coming from somewhere inside the engine, below 1. or 2. cylinder on the left side. I think the oil pump is just there in that position. Is it possible that oil pump products sound like that?

More
15 Sep 2009 13:24 #321813 by markdavjones
Replied by markdavjones on topic kz900 strange engine noise
First off, Sweet bike! I have had some similar noises come from my clutch basket as timebomb33 posted earlier and a rebuild solved that problem. However, listening to your video, the frequency of the sound is real consistent with one revolution of the cam chain at that RPM. Keep us posted when you find out what it turns out to be.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2009 17:29 - 15 Sep 2009 18:04 #321850 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic kz900 strange engine noise
Your cam chain tensioner is not the one that would have come in that bike. The plunger head would be squared.

If that's the type with the ball retainer gizmo, [vintage '79 & '80]that could be the source of the trouble..UNLESS you have it manualy locked down with the bolt on the side.

There were actually 2 styles of the auto tensioner. Both were problematic. Difference between the two was the latter ones had a split shaft that worked like a wedge and the ball retainer [one way] setup.

With those early auto tensioners, they could move freely and not let you know they had a problem. BUT, the buggers would back off on you unless manually locked down. The stock bolt on the side was not long enough to let you lock it down beyond the inital lock down point for installation.

Anyway, just make sure if it's the auto type, it does in fact lock down tight with the bolt on the side after the plunger moves out about an inch or so.

That looks like a shaft drive clutch out of a later KZ model. They had the allen head bolts and different pusher arrangement.

Nobody in their right mind would put a weaker J basket in a KZ motor. Could be...but I don't think so because I'm thinking the J basket is larger OD. J plates are larger. Primary drive gearing is different....B

I just did a J motor. Buttoned it up over the weekend. Here's the clutch in that motor.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2009 18:04 by larrycavan.

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2009 12:15 #322733 by OldSchoolHr
Today I took off oil pan to check oil pump. In the oil pan I found part of old front cam chain guide. I knew that its probably down there cos last year I was rebuilding top end and it wasnt where it should be. I also found some small aluminium debris :ohmy: You can see in the pictures.
I also notice that some very stupid ex-owner try to use too long bolt for left engine mount and he broke engine case just next to oil channel. He try to fix oil leaking with some red silicone from outside. Probably it was successfully cos I didnt notice any leaking in that place. But one thing that concerns me is, would this case crack made problem in oil pressure?

I have one more question. Big gear on oil pump has some left-right play on its axle. How much play can have that gear? Is there some service limit? I didnt found that in service book.

[img
[img
[img
[img

[img
[img
[img
[img

[img
[img
[img
[img

[img

More
20 Sep 2009 12:31 #322750 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic kz900 strange engine noise
OldSchoolHr wrote:

I opened clutch cover and I think that I havent got clutch assembly from kz900a4 model :ohmy: Does anyone know from which model of Kawasaki is this clutch assembly?

[img
[img
[img

im gonna guess thats from a shaft drive bike,stouter than chain drive model B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Sep 2009 13:49 #322764 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic kz900 strange engine noise
Ouch. You have some issues to deal with there my friend. First of all, how often do you change your oil? It looks extremely contaminated and dark colored. Second, you need to tear that engine down and find the source of the "spare" parts laying in the pan. Pieces that large missing from a part in and engine can be the forewarning of a engine failure.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• txturbo
  • User
  • Ex-Kawasaki Mechanic 1981-1985
More
21 Sep 2009 05:20 #322955 by txturbo
Replied by txturbo on topic kz900 strange engine noise
When a motor isn't running smoothly, the transmission will make noise. That motor sounds like it doesn't have any oil pressure to me.I wouldn't run it anymore until you verify it has oil pressure.It also sounds like the cam chain is very loose.

1984 ZX750 E1 GPz Turbo
1984 ZX1100 A2 GPz
1984 ZX900
1996 KZ1000P Police bike
1970 Honda CT 70H 4sp manual
1965 Honda Dream 305
2003 Honda Shadow 1100

1971 Suzuki MT50 Trailhopper
1969 Camaro SS
1966 Impala
1966 Impala SS 427/4spd

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Sep 2009 11:55 - 25 Sep 2009 11:57 #323869 by OldSchoolHr
I take apart a whole engine and at first sight it is in very good condition. I will take it to one good kawasaki mechanic to inspect it further more. One thing that I noticed, springs on backing plate of clutch basket are not tight. They are not broken but I can move all of them with my finger, left-right, up-down few milimeters. I assume that this is not OK. Am I right?

Btw, I found that this clutch basket is from MkII or ST model.

[img

[img
Last edit: 25 Sep 2009 11:57 by OldSchoolHr.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2009 18:09 #323929 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic kz900 strange engine noise
Shake, rattle & roll is the norm for the basket springs in those motors. There is an upgrade kit APE sells with heavy springs, new backing plate and rivets that you weld. Might be worth the piece of mind you'd get from it...

Generally though, those baskets work just fine unless you're severely abusing it at the drag strip every weekend. Scarey to hold that thing in your hand and listen to that rattle but in all honesty, they are solid baskets.

Case looks repairable. A good welder shold be able to handle that.If you end up needing them. They're all over ebay. Look under dragbike. Prices are way down on that sort of thing.

It's your nickle but IMO, you're best bet is tear everything down and go through it carefully. Check your transmission bearings out as well.

If it turns out you had oil problem to top end and cams are worn...holler...I've got several sets of stockers. You can have a set for free if you need them...