Advice on my turbo thoughts

More
25 Aug 2009 07:35 - 25 Aug 2009 07:36 #316286 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Advice on my turbo thoughts
7lbs of boost might be a bit much with that much compression on the street,i think it would flat out scream with 3-4 lbs ! :laugh: definately run a good set of cylinder studs and nuts and o ring the cylinders.no matter what rear tire you run youre gonna have plenty of power to break it loose,id say figure out a way to mount a 150-160 rear tire on it so you save a lot of headaches with alignment issues and also make it easier on the driveline and that poor crankshaft B)oh yeah dont forget a good ignition that can be retarded according to boost B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2009 07:36 by PLUMMEN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2009 23:39 #316455 by Headly
Replied by Headly on topic Advice on my turbo thoughts
I can fit a 150 tyre on my rim no problems so thats cool.Been thinking today though,its probably gonna be easier if i make a plenum without injector mounts and run a carb instead(less wiring to stuff around with,get it back on the road quicker),40 to 42mm mikuni or kehein flatslide seem to be the pic of the bunch(s&s maybe?havent had anything to do with them though),its a draw through turbo so its probably gonna work out easier for me.A few questions-1.What carb do you turbo guys run?
2.What main jet,needle position,pilot ect.I guess you need a fuel pump to keep the bowl full also.(just so i know a rough starting point although your bikes have much bigger pistons and stuff)
The micro tech system and throttle body and injectors etc wont go to waste,i have a z1a with fireblade front and rear fitted,supercharger so i can use the loom and stuff for that in the future.Thanks again:woohoo:

73z1a fireblade front&rear,75z1b,74z1a,05 husky 510,xl567.
Ask the toe cutter,he knows who i am!

More
26 Aug 2009 01:16 #316457 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic Advice on my turbo thoughts
If you want to do a state of the art blow thru EFI setup I think it pretty much stops and starts right here. Nobody is better IMHO

www.turbosystem.com/cycle/index.htm

If ya want to draw the fuel thru the turbo unit - how bout going old school with a Hilborn or Kinsler EFI or constant flow system ?

www.hilborninjection.com/

www.kinsler.com/page--Home-Page--13.html

If ya go with a constant flow system it will give ya a great excuse to fabricate a fancy looking fuel pump drive and have SS aircraft fuel hosing all over the place. Will look super mean !!! :woohoo:

More
26 Aug 2009 03:08 #316460 by Headly
Replied by Headly on topic Advice on my turbo thoughts
Gday Zippy,firstly i must say your bike is awesome!I had it on my computer screen saver for a while back before i knew about the kzr website.I dont know much about blowers on bikes but are slowly learning,ive seen them driven from the crank but only recently seen the clutch driven set up.Do you just run a modified hub with a support bearing in the clutch cover or does it just have an oil seal in it?:huh:

73z1a fireblade front&rear,75z1b,74z1a,05 husky 510,xl567.
Ask the toe cutter,he knows who i am!

More
26 Aug 2009 11:25 #316552 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic Advice on my turbo thoughts
Headly wrote:

Gday Zippy,firstly i must say your bike is awesome!I had it on my computer screen saver for a while back before i knew about the kzr website.I dont know much about blowers on bikes but are slowly learning,ive seen them driven from the crank but only recently seen the clutch driven set up.Do you just run a modified hub with a support bearing in the clutch cover or does it just have an oil seal in it?:huh:

Headly - Thanks for the compliments on my bike.

Per your questions

1st - The clutch basket I use is a standard unit that was welded at the rivet points which was a problem with high BHP bikes.

2. The blower clutch drive consists of the cover and the spider assembly that has fingers on it that interlock with the grooves on the clutch basket. The spider assembley rides on a sealed bearing in the cover and there is an oil level window in the cover also. The cover is also dowel pinned to the cases to prevent any movement of the cover under load.

Good luck with your project and let me know if I can be of any further help.