cam timing question

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2009 19:23 #274381 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic cam timing question
ok thats all good then, unless it got bumped out of place or something. the smoke should only last for a min or 2. if it keeps smoking u have oil geting into the cyl somewhere.
it's easy to get the bottom oil rail ring installed incorectly. they can slip out of the groove when u push the piston into the cyl.Dont even ask me how i know that.:blush:
I had brand new oil seals go bad last year too. they just got stretched, hard and deformed. sounds like growing old.:lol:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2009 19:25 #274383 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cam timing question
Bicycle Lee wrote:

Hahaha.... I was like, "O-ring?? Oh shit...." but yes, I DID put that piece in. I didn't really think of that as an "O" ring... haha...
I also see that Z1 has a one piece copper gasket.... I might just have to get that.... I mean, the ones I have on there now are brand new and they're leaking... so maybe a one-piece is the way to go???

i was advised against copper unless cylinders are o ringed.....sold mine...go with a cometic one pc gasket
and fill that o-ring area with high temp gasket stuff...i ran mine for about 1/2 an hour twice and no leaks....gotta get some carbs on it and away i go.....good luck....let us know how you make out......keith

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2009 19:34 #274388 by mark1122
dont use copper .use a 1 piece cometic and fill the groove like Kieth said.and u will be B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
22 Mar 2009 19:50 - 22 Mar 2009 20:01 #274395 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic cam timing question
mark1122 wrote:

ok thats all good then, unless it got bumped out of place or something. the smoke should only last for a min or 2. if it keeps smoking u have oil geting into the cyl somewhere.
it's easy to get the bottom oil rail ring installed incorectly. they can slip out of the groove when u push the piston into the cyl.Dont even ask me how i know that.:blush:
I had brand new oil seals go bad last year too. they just got stretched, hard and deformed. sounds like growing old.:lol:

/

bottom oil rail ring? You mean one of the piston rings?
hmmmm.... I hope I don't have to take it all the way down to the crank again..... fitting those pistons in sucks haha

I can't find a one-piece cometic head gasket on Z1.... do they have one?

1978 KZ1000 police
Last edit: 22 Mar 2009 20:01 by Bicycle Lee.

More
23 Mar 2009 12:21 #274553 by Bicycle Lee
So my brother seems to think it's an issue with my carbs... something that was there before. I drained my oil before and there was a lot of unburnt fuel in it. He seems to think my floats are off, or something. Still looking to get new carbs anyway, but I figured it would be worth a try.
Still looking for that one-piece Cometic head gasket....
anybody got a link for it?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
23 Mar 2009 13:48 #274583 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic cam timing question
In case someone still needs help with timing and would like some pictures. This thread may help.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
23 Mar 2009 14:26 #274611 by mark1122
Just call Z1E and ask for Rob or Jeff. Jeff knows everything there is to know about these bikes, and they will treat u like a king. Tell them Mark Saunders sent u.B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
23 Mar 2009 14:33 #274617 by mark1122
Bicycle Lee wrote:

So my brother seems to think it's an issue with my carbs... something that was there before. I drained my oil before and there was a lot of unburnt fuel in it. He seems to think my floats are off, or something. Still looking to get new carbs anyway, but I figured it would be worth a try.
Still looking for that one-piece Cometic head gasket....
anybody got a link for it?

Did u check your oil again to see if there is gas in it again?
if u have . your float hieght may be high, or the seats may be leaking. To check the seats,Turn the gas off ,take the carbs off a bit, hold them level. Now turn the gas back on. is there gas leaking out on either side of the carb?
if it is, witch 1 or all? remove the seats and see if they are dirty or warn. replace if neccesary.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
23 Mar 2009 15:01 #274624 by Bicycle Lee
do you think that would cause the excess smoke from the exhaust?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
23 Mar 2009 17:16 - 23 Mar 2009 17:32 #274654 by Bicycle Lee
So here's the video...

1978 KZ1000 police
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 17:32 by Bicycle Lee.

More
24 Mar 2009 10:12 #274869 by Bicycle Lee
so I'm going to try and make this thing not smoke or leak before I even bother putting it back in the frame.
Anybody else have ideas on what I should do?
The head gasket for sure needs to get replaced, but the high idle and smoke is still bothersome too...

1978 KZ1000 police

More
24 Mar 2009 14:22 #274948 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cam timing question
Bicycle Lee wrote:

so I'm going to try and make this thing not smoke or leak before I even bother putting it back in the frame.
Anybody else have ideas on what I should do?
The head gasket for sure needs to get replaced, but the high idle and smoke is still bothersome too...

just a shot in the dark, but the head gasket could also be leaking into adjacent cylinders and causing excess oil in cylinders (smoke) as well as leaking
externally.....