cam timing question

More
21 Mar 2009 13:00 - 21 Mar 2009 13:02 #273931 by Bicycle Lee
cam timing question was created by Bicycle Lee
So I assembled my motor today and I had a question about cam timing. I set the cams in, made sure all the slack was out of the cam chain, aligned the little > mark with the head and slipped it into the corresponding link in the cam chain.
Now, my question is, looking at my attached picture (in which I've crudely drawn the > timing mark on my exhaust cam) the mark is now above the level of the head, but if I were to align it with the next link down in the chain it would then be UNDER the level of the head. What do you guys think? Should I align it under? Should it be fine where it is? Thanks for any help....

I forgot to mention this is at perfect TDC 1-4. I am more than happy to take the time to redo rather than foul it up.

1978 KZ1000 police
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2009 13:02 by Bicycle Lee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2009 14:01 #273948 by jzanutto
Replied by jzanutto on topic cam timing question
I just did mine (for the second time) . What bike is that? on mine the mark was a line with a T next to it.

The book says that timing mark must point right at the gasket line on top of the head

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2009 15:32 #273970 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic cam timing question
my bike is a 78 KZ1000. I'm thinking just to be safe I'll redo it tomorrow. Any other opinions????

1978 KZ1000 police

More
21 Mar 2009 16:06 #273977 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cam timing question
Bicycle Lee wrote:

my bike is a 78 KZ1000. I'm thinking just to be safe I'll redo it tomorrow. Any other opinions????

hey lee, are the cam holders tightened down yet? mine looked the same untill i cranked em down and then mark lined right up where it should be....i have the same motor......also i believe the book says to take up chain slack last after cams are in and everything is lined up and top sprocket is installed......just my .02.....keith

More
21 Mar 2009 16:22 #273981 by Bicycle Lee
keith1 wrote:

Bicycle Lee wrote:

hey lee, are the cam holders tightened down yet? mine looked the same untill i cranked em down and then mark lined right up where it should be....i have the same motor......also i believe the book says to take up chain slack last after cams are in and everything is lined up and top sprocket is installed......just my .02.....keith

It was actually the other way around... The mark was lined up and after everything (including the cam chain tensioner) was torqued down, the mark was where it is now... The motor is at TDC and the cams are the right number of links apart, but the mark is maybe one link above where it should be. Is it everyone else's consensus that I should just take the 15 minutes it takes to take it off and move it??

1978 KZ1000 police

More
21 Mar 2009 16:24 #273982 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cam timing question
Bicycle Lee wrote:

keith1 wrote:

Bicycle Lee wrote:

It was actually the other way around... The mark was lined up and after everything (including the cam chain tensioner) was torqued down, the mark was where it is now... The motor is at TDC and the cams are the right number of links apart, but the mark is maybe one link above where it should be. Is it everyone else's consensus that I should just take the 15 minutes it takes to take it off and move it??

might be a good idea....good luck

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2009 19:00 #274021 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic cam timing question
I've had this happen to me a couple of times - I tend to rotate the crank twice by hand after timing the cam to make sure the slack worked out correctly and the timing is still accurate. I've been off by one tooth a couple times after rotating the engine. Being one tooth off I wouldn't think you'd hit a valve, but maybe someone more knowledgable can correct my procedure here if I'm wrong.

More
21 Mar 2009 19:32 #274030 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic cam timing question
Bicycle Lee wrote:

So I assembled my motor today and I had a question about cam timing. I set the cams in, made sure all the slack was out of the cam chain, aligned the little > mark with the head and slipped it into the corresponding link in the cam chain.
Now, my question is, looking at my attached picture (in which I've crudely drawn the > timing mark on my exhaust cam) the mark is now above the level of the head, but if I were to align it with the next link down in the chain it would then be UNDER the level of the head. What do you guys think? Should I align it under? Should it be fine where it is? Thanks for any help....

I forgot to mention this is at perfect TDC 1-4. I am more than happy to take the time to redo rather than foul it up.

Looks off about 2 teeth/pins on the ex. cam

More
21 Mar 2009 22:40 #274100 by Bicycle Lee
Alright... I'll give it another go tomorrow morning... I'm hoping I have some sweet videos to post tomorrow... ;)

1978 KZ1000 police

More
22 Mar 2009 01:07 - 22 Mar 2009 01:11 #274135 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic cam timing question
Yes it's hard to tell from the angle of the pic but when you got it right it will line up with the head then just keep some pressure on the chain (so that it doesn't jump the crank sprocket) while you count the pins but if it's on TDC 1-4 it's off 1 or 2
Last edit: 22 Mar 2009 01:11 by modprod.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Mar 2009 04:48 #274146 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic cam timing question
I agree with mod. it may be, just the pic angle, but it looks to be too high.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
22 Mar 2009 05:44 #274166 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic cam timing question
yes it looks at least 1 tooth off possibly 2 from that picture.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE