JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL....LOL OIL. OIL

More
05 Mar 2009 20:01 #269924 by edspring1
I have posted this topic on another board as well. It seems that I am not the only one that wasn't made aware of this Zinc situation. [glad i am not the only one..lol]
I honestly don't know what the answer is? The builder used the cam lube plus additional lube in all 3 cam installations. Of course by the 3rd installatiuon he had been made aware of the Zinc/Oil problem. The only thing that has really changed is that he used break in oil with the 3rd cam replacement. And thus far its all been working out. It just seems to me that the break in lube and even STP isn't enough long term. STP has broken off more than a few oil pump shafts in automobiles. I would think in a chain driven bike pump the strain would be outragous. Kinda like sucking asphault threw a straw, until it got diluted anyway. Years ago I used to work in a auto machine shop. I hated that old english guy I swear I did. BUT he taught me all about clearances, the importance of specs, what specs actually are and why they work, how to run different equipt., and he also taught me how to figure out in most cases what exactly happened to a motor. He told me many times that the build up in the corners of the oil pans, and threw out the crevis's in the internal parts and the block as well, was from oil additives such as STP. I remember that stuff like it was yesterday. 1/2 the time even after being hand cleaned, then put in a hot tank, that stuff was still apparent. Keep in mind those were the days when folks used additives with EVERY oil change and often changed their oil every 2500 miles. Like someone has said MORE is NOT always a good thing. For my own schedule on my NEWLY rebuilt 1160 street motor it's going to be: Break IN oil the 1st 30 minutes, change filter, drain oil, refill with a second dose of Break In oil, ride yer butt off for about 500 and change filter, drain oil refill with Break IN oil and go for the 2K and then get your personal prefence of oil. I think thats a safe schedule for me.
As long as I have the potential problem handeled. [and i think i would] I am not much on additives of any nature too often they never really work, additionally I remember what the mean ass old english guy taught me. I don't want to break/stretch any oil pump chains, and I don't want any type of build up regaurdless of what it is.
Of course this is just my pathetic opinons. To each his own.
Remember we are specifically talking about NEW/REBUILT motors and trans. NOT motors with miles on them. After a motor is broken in, you can use just about any brand name oil. Its not a factor at that point.
God I miss that old english guy....LOL He was great !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 20:03 #269925 by zombiescustoms
Replied by zombiescustoms on topic JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL....LOL OIL. OIL
This is why I run Shell Rotella T diesel oil in all my old stuff, diesel oils have not had the zinc reduced, and it comes highly recommended by my machinist.

1979 KZ1000 drag/street fighter
1015cc stock internals for now, 39 flattys, GSXR frontend, ZX9 rear wheel with 6 over chromoly arm, just a budget beater!

More
05 Mar 2009 22:53 - 05 Mar 2009 22:54 #269947 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL....LOL OIL. OIL
650ed wrote:

Yes, actually the max allowed for modern passenger car oils is 800 but many of the oil companies dropped it to 0.

I didn't know that, I thought all the name brand oils still had some.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Mar 2009 22:54 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Mar 2009 22:59 - 05 Mar 2009 23:02 #269950 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL....LOL OIL. OIL
edspring1 wrote:

STP has broken off more than a few oil pump shafts in automobiles. I would think in a chain driven bike pump the strain would be outragous. Kinda like sucking asphault threw a straw, until it got diluted anyway.

For my bike, I would always mix it into oil when adding because it pours down over the clutch. Never had a problem doing it that way. BTW, bike oil pumps are gear drive not chain.

edspring1 wrote:

It just seems to me that the break in lube and even STP isn't enough long term.

What I read was that zinc protection is only needed in the abnormal situation of metal on metal (break in) or extreme abuse. YMMV, that's what I read, during normal operation there should be an oil film to prevent that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Mar 2009 23:02 by bountyhunter.