bottom end

More
08 Jan 2009 20:25 #256858 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic bottom end
lots of crud in that pickup screen,id do a serious scrubbing of the bottemend before it goes back together ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2009 21:43 #256881 by jzanutto
Replied by jzanutto on topic bottom end
its coming completely apart and getting hot solvent tanked, then bead blasted.

I clean the oil passages with pipe cleaners.

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

More
08 Jan 2009 21:49 #256882 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic bottom end
jzanutto wrote:

all my 2 strokers have the segmented crank with ball bearings. To me plain bearings seem to be a step backwards. I know it eliminates having special crank tooling and a special service manual just for the freekin crank, but anyone care to make some intelligent comments here about why plain bearings?

Journal bearings handle much more power than ball bearings. with a pressurized film of oil, in theory the surfaces dont actually touch, with a roller or ball there is contact all the time and a very focused point of contact.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Jan 2009 04:59 #256907 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic bottom end
You know Z1 sells a cam chain master link and master link tool. Buy a new cam chain, and install their master link, and you don't have to rebuild the bottom end. If you want to rebuild the bottom end, "just 'cuz", then you might want to see what's available from Kawasaki before splitting the cases, or you'll have to use old parts. :(

www.buykawasaki.com is a great parts availability website, and can tell you if the parts you need are "Active", "Active Limited Quantity", or "Cancelled". Most internal roller bearings can be purchased at a bearing house to save you some money.

Not to steal your thread, but I am doing a complete tear down, "just 'cuz" on one of my spare GPz550 engines, I plan on installing the best of my aftermarket goodies including the 615cc kit I've had all ready for 2 years now. I'm wondering about the crank and rod bearing "shells". There are 3 sizes of crank bearings and rod bearings available from Kawasaki. After I emory-cloth polish the crank and rod journals, what's the recommended clearance for oil? Should I just go with what the Kawasaki Factory Manual suggests for oil clearance on both rod and crank bearings of .004" or 0.10mm, or is there some other magic number?

Keep us posted on your build up.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
09 Jan 2009 05:32 #256910 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic bottom end
I dont like plastic guage, it lies to some extent.
Babbit bearings have been around a long time, and have been tried under the most extreame conditions.
The roller bearing engines are a lot more complicated to set up and that would add a lot of expense to the engine mfg process.

Unless something is really worng with the bottom end. a good cleaning and careful reassembly will produce an engine that will last for a lot of years

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Jan 2009 07:23 #256933 by CoreyClough
If one needed to order a set of bearing shells(Charlie Babbit Style), other than plastigauge, how would you know which size/color to order? Inside bore gauges are hard to measure in the middle of the case, once bolted together. Not to say you're wrong, but I'd recommend to anyone, if you have the cases apart, and the bearings are available, why not just replace them while you're in there? New bearings run retail for about $10.00 each half shell. That equates to $180.00 for the 5 crank journals and 4 rod journals on my 550. I wouldn't reinstall the same old bearings, but that's just me.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
09 Jan 2009 10:44 #256966 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic bottom end
dman3998 wrote:

jzanutto wrote:

all my 2 strokers have the segmented crank with ball bearings. To me plain bearings seem to be a step backwards. I know it eliminates having special crank tooling and a special service manual just for the freekin crank, but anyone care to make some intelligent comments here about why plain bearings?

Journal bearings handle much more power than ball bearings. with a pressurized film of oil, in theory the surfaces dont actually touch, with a roller or ball there is contact all the time and a very focused point of contact.

Yes, I remember in Engineering school going thru this. In theory, as the crankshaft rotates squeezes the oil film that becomes superstrong, not allowing the metal surfaces to touch. The faster it turns, the stronger the oil film. As you said before, in theory, there should not be metal to metal contact during rotation. The wear could only occur during the first turns of the crank, when engine is started, as there may be little oil and pump is just awakening. I believe all cars use also plain bearings.

I used to work in a power plant with big steam turbines, and the turbines rotors rode in huge plain bearings. Before starting the turbines, an electric oil pump would be started to pump oil inside the plain bearings before allowing the turbine to turn. If we had electric oil pumps in cars and motorcycles, started a couple of minutes before cranking, our bottom ends(engines) would last for ever.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Jan 2009 12:10 #256974 by CoreyClough
Yes, and more the reason to let a turbo motor idle a little bit to allow it to cool down before shut-off, and also to let the spinning of the turbine shaft slow down as well. Pre-lubers, and after lubers work great, but can be overkill in my opinion.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

More
09 Jan 2009 12:14 - 09 Jan 2009 12:14 #256976 by jzanutto
thats good info guys. My entire bottom end will look like this when done. Then gloss black imron maybe

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2009 12:14 by jzanutto.

More
09 Jan 2009 15:09 - 09 Jan 2009 15:10 #256997 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic bottom end
hugo wrote:

[If we had electric oil pumps in cars and motorcycles, started a couple of minutes before cranking, our bottom ends(engines) would last for ever.

They used to sell aftermarket ones for turbo engines in cars. The turbos would fail VERY early in life from city driving because at turn off, the oil flow stops and the heat in the turbine's bearings would boil the oil there. Then when you start it, the bearings were dry. I remember electric "pre" and "after" oilers that would keep oil flowing a while after the engine turns off and pump it up before you start it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Jan 2009 15:10 by bountyhunter.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Jan 2009 15:21 #257001 by CoreyClough
Looks nice an clean there jzanutto!!! B) What did you use, glass beads or sand as lasting media?

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

More
09 Jan 2009 16:14 #257011 by jzanutto
glass beads. Then lots of pipe cleaners in the oil galleys