www.overstockpartsgalore.com... 1015cc Kit w/ Cyclinder: Pistons Won't FIT!!!!

More
02 Sep 2008 17:25 #235184 by zippy
Old Man Rock wrote:

Finally turned out good...

The machining, once finally accomplished was to good standards (as far as I can tell anyways)with tight tolerances. I used a feeler gauge where all bores where at .08mm and I didn't see any oblong our screwed up bores.OMR

Old Man - With all due respect - I don't think ya are quite there yet. What ya have is a cylinder block that you "HOPE" is bored correctly and to specs.Measuring cylinder bore and piston diameter is most definately not done with a feeler gauge. You know that. Think about it. You have had trouble with this order from the git go. Are you really willing to "TRUST" these folks ?? Certainly not. Measure the cylinder bores "yourself" with a real bore gaugeand mic the pistons with a real micrometer. Take many measurement along all axis and depths. Don't guess or hope at this stuff. Know what the measurements are.If ya don't have the equipment - beg, borrow, steal it or have it done with you looking over their shoulder and get the numbers "THAT YOU CAN REALLY TRUST" provided to you.

Better safe now than sorry later. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2008 17:26 #235185 by Old Man Rock
"Perhaps it refers to the cylinder blocks which are bored out "over stock" size."...

Damn it Skyman, now you inform me of this... Why didn't you say this way back when versus letting me be the Guinea Pig on this vendor...hahahahahaha... Thanks (sarcasm)...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 Sep 2008 17:40 #235187 by BlackZ1R
Skyman wrote:

BlackZ1R wrote:

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. Now we're getting somewhere. So these kits aren't in stock after all. Overstock my @$$ . :laugh:

I think you are misunderstanding the usage of "Overstock" here. Perhaps it refers to the cylinder blocks which are bored out "over stock" size. :silly: :laugh:

Lol. Well if they ever have "Bend over" in their first name I'll know when to run.......:laugh:

ahh blieve omelet dis wun slide. :lol:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 Sep 2008 17:43 #235188 by BlackZ1R
zippy wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

Finally turned out good...

The machining, once finally accomplished was to good standards (as far as I can tell anyways)with tight tolerances. I used a feeler gauge where all bores where at .08mm and I didn't see any oblong our screwed up bores.OMR

Old Man - With all due respect - I don't think ya are quite there yet. What ya have is a cylinder block that you "HOPE" is bored correctly and to specs.Measuring cylinder bore and piston diameter is most definately not done with a feeler gauge. You know that. Think about it. You have had trouble with this order from the git go. Are you really willing to "TRUST" these folks ?? Certainly not. Measure the cylinder bores "yourself" with a real bore gaugeand mic the pistons with a real micrometer. Take many measurement along all axis and depths. Don't guess or hope at this stuff. Know what the measurements are.If ya don't have the equipment - beg, borrow, steal it or have it done with you looking over their shoulder and get the numbers "THAT YOU CAN REALLY TRUST" provided to you.

Better safe now than sorry later. :)

+1. Check my post, two back. I asked the same question . Not putting anything together without running a dial gauge through it.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
02 Sep 2008 19:42 #235209 by Mcspeed.1
APE Jay wrote:

QUOTE:
Sorry to hear that. I know those deals sound real good, but if you had sent us your cylinder, you would be up and running by now.

Jay

:angry: Hey there JAY! I can't believe you even have the balls to come on this site and say anything like this! I waited time and time again for you guys and your F#@k#d ordering crap. Not to mention the fact that when I call direct I get a "would you like to know where your closest dealer is"! How do I say in the sincerest way - I was one of your dealers! If you guys want your stuff done fast and correct I have had the best luck with FBG, Schnitz Racing, Orient express. So, Jay shove it up your a##!;) WOW, I feel so much better!

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2008 19:44 - 02 Sep 2008 19:47 #235210 by Old Man Rock
BlackZ1R, leave me have some solitude in this damn it... LOL!

Yep, good advice especially concerning the crap I've gone through with these guys. I don't have a real bore gauge as spec'd in the service manual and don't plan on buying one for what they cost and where it will only be used once, maybe twice, just doesn't justify the cost.

I haven't installed the cylinder yet for I will be taking it to a local machine shop that does all the machining for the local kawasaki dealership for measurements and possible repair if required...

Thanks again BlackZ1R,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 02 Sep 2008 19:47 by Old Man Rock.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 Sep 2008 20:40 #235217 by BlackZ1R
Old Man Rock wrote:

BlackZ1R, leave me have some solitude in this damn it... LOL!

Yep, good advice especially concerning the crap I've gone through with these guys. I don't have a real bore gauge as spec'd in the service manual and don't plan on buying one for what they cost and where it will only be used once, maybe twice, just doesn't justify the cost.

I haven't installed the cylinder yet for I will be taking it to a local machine shop that does all the machining for the local kawasaki dealership for measurements and possible repair if required...

Thanks again BlackZ1R,

OMR

Ight den, OMR . Omelet cha mella down from dis wun a bit . :laugh:

Hell, I wasn't ever really crawling you OMR, I was just trying to get a little more info on the quality of machine work to expect if I did pull the trigger on one of these 1075 kits . That's what the dial bore ??s were about. I were just joshin' with Skyman with that "bend over" comment. :lol:

I really hope it turns out for you after all the B.S. you been through . I'm still trying to find a set of carbs I can use on my bike . I've got a long way to go before I can point fingers at anyone :kiss: :kiss: :lol: :laugh:

Kawasaki

More
02 Sep 2008 22:10 #235230 by APE Jay
Mcspeed.1 wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

QUOTE:
Sorry to hear that. I know those deals sound real good, but if you had sent us your cylinder, you would be up and running by now.

Jay

:angry: Hey there JAY! I can't believe you even have the balls to come on this site and say anything like this! I waited time and time again for you guys and your F#@k#d ordering crap. Not to mention the fact that when I call direct I get a "would you like to know where your closest dealer is"! How do I say in the sincerest way - I was one of your dealers! If you guys want your stuff done fast and correct I have had the best luck with FBG, Schnitz Racing, Orient express. So, Jay shove it up your a##!;) WOW, I feel so much better!

I think it is quite obvious if you read these boards, that no one has the kind of experience with our company that you describe. No one out does us for customer service.

We didn't get the best supplier reputation by treating anyone like you stated.

There, now I feel better:laugh: :laugh:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Sep 2008 05:33 #235263 by Old Man Rock
BlackZ1R...
Naw man, never took it to heart, was joking back at/with you. The advice you provided is well sounded especially considering what I've gone through.

The feeler gauge concept was asked by another member for starters only. He had remarked where he some work done elsewhere and the bores where oblong and totally different in feeler gauge thicknesses.

Seriously, thanks!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Sep 2008 06:19 #235269 by shighley
Note to Jay at APE. Never say never and that no one has had this experience with your company. I had the exact same experience on a KZ650 cylinder block sent to APE for boring/honing. One bore was so small the piston would not even go in. The others were barrel shaped and bell mouthed. The only way the project was saved was to go to an experienced machinist and he straightened out the bores. I have no doubt that you have very capable people making quality parts. The real issue is quality control. New people must be trained and they don't always do the job correctly. That's cool, been there and done that. My problem is that my block wasn't turned over to a journeyman who could have fixed it. My intent is not to flame anyone, as Forest Gump says, Sh** Happens. Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
03 Sep 2008 09:56 #235292 by APE Jay
Steve;
Our records show that we did bore a cylinder for you in 2004. Can you tell me if it was a factory oversize piston or a 720 kit?

Jay

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2008 15:14 - 03 Sep 2008 15:20 #235343 by larrycavan
This thread needs to be locked and over IMO.

Stop the finger pointing and personal attacks already. Enough is enough.

JMO

Larry C
Last edit: 03 Sep 2008 15:20 by larrycavan.