www.overstockpartsgalore.com... 1015cc Kit w/ Cyclinder: Pistons Won't FIT!!!!

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Aug 2008 17:06 - 16 Aug 2008 19:54 #232388 by Old Man Rock
Damn it all to hell....... Screwed once again!

A member had PM'd me the following:
Regarding the physical measurements he described from another vendor his experience where the bores were so bad that one piston would not even fit in it's hole. The others were barrel shapes and bell mouthed.

You can check size/shape by using a feeler gage and the piston. Just slide it down each bore and you can feel the amount of drag.

Well due to my issues with MRE and now with Overstock parts where my cases are split, I had no reason to think otherwise...Mistake!

I got concerned and got out my feeler gauge and low and behold, none of the pistons would slide into any of the cylinder sleeves. :angry:

NOT ONE OF THEM!

Do your selves all a favor... Buy elsewhere.

I'm truly sorry about this all (promoting them)... And for those of you who may be getting screwed on your orders, I don't have words for it. Again, my apologies.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 16 Aug 2008 19:54 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2008 08:09 #232456 by Old Man Rock
Upgrade: Due to my haste with other issues, here's what I found on my order... This has been provided to Overstock and I'll keep you all informed on how they handle it.

Ok, I found the problem on my order/delievered components... 1015cc kit

As can be reviewed below, the Weisco 1015cc pistons are part # 4020M07000

What I recieved from you is the following:
Pistons: Part # 4020M07100 thus depicting the 1045cc pistons!
Rings: Part # 2756XC (70mm), OK for 1015cc but not 1045cc.
Clips: Part # CW17, OK for both 1015 and 1045cc kits.
Gaskets: W3917 & W5380, Ok, good for both.
Pins not maked but same for both.

Cylinder sleeve measurement ~ 69.63mm... Obviously this wouldn't work for either piston set.
This dimension would be for stock KZ1000 pistons only! (69.5mm standard bore)

So we have several options here...
1) I send everything back and we start over with my order. (1015cc or 1045cc kit complete with BORED and HONED cyclinder).
NOTE: On the 1045cc, only if bored and honed 903cc cylinder. I prefer not grinding the lower cases for the sleeves on bottom of cylinder.

2) Pending which cylinder you have on hand (Bored and honed accordingly), we swap components.
NOTE: The cylinder has to be replaced regardless due to 69.63mm opening...

Staying with 1015cc setup:
A) Swap the cylinder (903cc) for the Bored & Honed 1015cc and send me the correct pistons. I return the same.

Upgarding to 1045cc setup:
B) Upgrade to the 1045cc cylinder (903cc) plus send me the 2795XC rings. I return the same.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
17 Aug 2008 08:55 #232465 by APE Jay
Sorry to hear that. I know those deals sound real good, but if you had sent us your cylinder, you would be up and running by now.

Jay

More
17 Aug 2008 09:08 #232470 by steell
APE Jay wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I know those deals sound real good, but if you had sent us your cylinder, you would be up and running by now.

Jay

That's it Jay, kick a man when he's down :D

But Jay does have a point, considering your experiences so far, do you really trust that place to ever get it right?

I'd raise Holy Hell with them and demand my money back, then I'd deal with someone that has a reputation to uphold.

I have never bought a single thing from APE, but that's simply because I've never had a need for the parts they sell (I'm a 750 guy), but even though I have the capability to bore and hone my own cylinders, I'm sending my 810 pistons and cylinder to APE (as soon as I can spare the $$)) because they can do a lot better job that I can. Equipment and experience counts.

KD9JUR

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2008 10:09 #232477 by Old Man Rock
Great, pour salt into my wounds... :laugh:

Why don't you guys just ram another salty, spiked, glass encrusted large object into my arse while playing "Dueling Banjo's " Hill Billy music in Deliverance....

I hate you all.... hahahahahaha...

Florida hates me I tell ya. :blink: :dry: :whistle:

Well, I'll just see what comes of it via Overstock. Worst case scenario is since I have a clean/sleeved 903cc cylinder to stock size, I get the 1045cc rings and have it bored/honed locally. At least the pistons themselves are a good/decent name brand.

Ok, GOD, there's my 3 "Karama" now back the phuck off!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
17 Aug 2008 15:23 #232534 by APE Jay
steell wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Jay

That's it Jay, kick a man when he's down :D

But Jay does have a point, considering your experiences so far, do you really trust that place to ever get it right?

I'd raise Holy Hell with them and demand my money back, then I'd deal with someone that has a reputation to uphold.

I have never bought a single thing from APE, but that's simply because I've never had a need for the parts they sell (I'm a 750 guy), but even though I have the capability to bore and hone my own cylinders, I'm sending my 810 pistons and cylinder to APE (as soon as I can spare the $$)) because they can do a lot better job that I can. Equipment and experience counts.

We sell 750 parts including 810 kits.:P

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
31 Aug 2008 20:04 #234888 by BlackZ1R
Well, hell. I was just fixin' to post a big ole technical question for anyone who bought this kit from Overstock booger Wharehouse. Now it don't matter one smatter I spose . What pistons did they send you. Wiesco or MTC ? And to think I was fissin' to pull the trigger on a 1075 kit . :ohmy:

Let us know what they do for you. If they get your rings and pistons right for the 1045 kit, get them to send you a partial refund to get the block they sent you bored . You may end up with a great set-up. Sorry to hear about all the B.S. Old Fellar . :(

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Sep 2008 05:57 - 01 Sep 2008 06:02 #234932 by Old Man Rock
Finally turned out good...

903cc bored & honed cylinder, Weisco 1015 kit, with marked pistons/rings per cylinder bore as expected. Rubber O-rings and gaskets (upper/lower)plus pins and clips.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&id=234382&catid=13
Gary (overstock) took care of this personally and delivered what I ordered and paid for. The real problem led back to once again MRE who does the machining on these cylinders.

The machining, once finally accomplished was to good standards (as far as I can tell anyways)with tight tolerances. I used a feeler gauge where all bores where at .08mm and I didn't see any oblong our screwed up bores.

In speaking with others, MRE does good work but extremely slow and you have to bug them to get your parts back.

Bottom line, I will never use MRE again nor would I recommend them. There's other machining services such as APE that provide the same quality or better with a hell of a lot faster turn around time. Overstockparts, I'd use again.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 01 Sep 2008 06:02 by Old Man Rock.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
01 Sep 2008 20:18 #235072 by BlackZ1R
Old Man Rock wrote:

Finally turned out good...

903cc bored & honed cylinder, Weisco 1015 kit, with marked pistons/rings per cylinder bore as expected. Rubber O-rings and gaskets (upper/lower)plus pins and clips.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&id=234382&catid=13
Gary (overstock) took care of this personally and delivered what I ordered and paid for. The real problem led back to once again MRE who does the machining on these cylinders.

The machining, once finally accomplished was to good standards (as far as I can tell anyways)with tight tolerances. I used a feeler gauge where all bores where at .08mm and I didn't see any oblong our screwed up bores.

In speaking with others, MRE does good work but extremely slow and you have to bug them to get your parts back.

Bottom line, I will never use MRE again nor would I recommend them. There's other machining services such as APE that provide the same quality or better with a hell of a lot faster turn around time. Overstockparts, I'd use again.

OMR

Great ! OMR, I missed the post where you had talked to Gary and had him working on getting it all straightened out for you. Glad it worked out .

Has anyone here that bought this kit from overstock parts run a dial bore gauge through the bores to check for straightness and concentricity .

Actually, now that I re-read your post, something sounds odd. I was under the impression that all these kits were on the shelf ready to ship. Your post sounds as if they have the block bored after taking orders. Do you know if that is typical of all these kits ?

I did find out that they get nearly $50 to ship a kit with a gasket set. :ohmy:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
02 Sep 2008 06:02 #235102 by shighley
Hi All; I'm due to receive my K1015 kit tommorrow, via UPS. The very first thing I'll do is take it to work and inspect the quality of workmanship on the bores.
I also assumed that the kits were on the shelf, hence, "Overstocked". Gary emailed that the blocks are on the shelf and bored. When he gets an order, they hone for size. This prevents any corrosion from happening. The delay in my order (ordered the middle of July) was due to Wiesco backordering the piston kits. That's it for now, more to follow, ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 Sep 2008 16:13 #235174 by BlackZ1R
shighley wrote:

Hi All; I'm due to receive my K1015 kit tommorrow, via UPS. The very first thing I'll do is take it to work and inspect the quality of workmanship on the bores.
I also assumed that the kits were on the shelf, hence, "Overstocked". Gary emailed that the blocks are on the shelf and bored. When he gets an order, they hone for size. This prevents any corrosion from happening. The delay in my order (ordered the middle of July) was due to Wiesco backordering the piston kits. That's it for now, more to follow, ride safe, Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. Now we're getting somewhere. So these kits aren't in stock after all. Overstock my @$$ . :laugh:

The more I think about it the more I want a 1260.

Kawasaki

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
02 Sep 2008 16:26 #235178 by Skyman
BlackZ1R wrote:

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. Now we're getting somewhere. So these kits aren't in stock after all. Overstock my @$$ . :laugh:

I think you are misunderstanding the usage of "Overstock" here. Perhaps it refers to the cylinder blocks which are bored out "over stock" size. :silly: :laugh:

West Linn, OR