Kz900 Engine casing crack after slight explosion. No clutch activity now.

More
18 Aug 2008 11:13 #232659 by Jack
Actually you're all wrong. My MKll did this exact same thing to me last year.The pushrod welded itself to the ball & stock pusher behind the clutch. When everything seized up it blew the worm gear out the left end and broke the outside cover.

The fix is the APE clutch pusher with the needle bearings
( I thought this bike had one...lol) a new pushrod and worm gear adjuster and a cover. Make sure you hone the pushrod hole or you may find burrs and scrapes that will prevent the pushrod from moving properly. I did.

I've got a Z1 clutch cover you can have for the cost of shipping.Everything else you can get from Z1 Ent. PM me if you want the cover..

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2008 11:28 #232662 by wiredgeorge
Jack, I don't think you are right. His additional pics showed no damage to the pusher gizmo. Hard to tell if the 5mm flat head set screw is still in the middle for adjustments but what broke the cover was the lack of bolts. When he pulled the clutch, the cover was flexing and I suspect that the clutch was stiff from lack of lube and it just snapped the cover when the clutch cable was pulled in. The pusher and rod put pressure on the cover and with only a couple bolts, the flexing broke the cover I think. I have loosely installed the countershaft cover myself in the past to test clutch pull and adjustment feel and noted that it flexed the cover if the cover wasn't solidly bolted in place. I

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 Aug 2008 11:29 #232664 by wiredgeorge
Jack, I don't think you are right. His additional pics showed no damage to the pusher gizmo. Hard to tell if the 5mm flat head set screw is still in the middle for adjustments but what broke the cover was the lack of bolts. When he pulled the clutch, the cover was flexing and I suspect that the clutch was stiff from lack of lube and it just snapped the cover when the clutch cable was pulled in. The pusher and rod put pressure on the cover and with only a couple bolts, the flexing broke the cover I think. I have loosely installed the countershaft cover myself in the past to test clutch pull and adjustment feel and noted that it flexed the cover if the cover wasn't solidly bolted in place. I would guess the fella who started this thread would be a happier rider if he bought a shop manual and did some basic maintenance and went through the bike before riding much more. Check for missing/broken case bolts, change fluids, clean/lube chain, check fasteners and TUNE UP the bike per the manual.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Aug 2008 18:59 #232790 by mark1122
why is there no clutch adjuster screw in the end of the adjuster?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
18 Aug 2008 19:19 #232797 by Locozuna
This is like watching a long lost episode of CSI!!!

I think I perceive some reticular hemorrhaging leading me to believe the clutch cover was straining to stay in place. But the end was unavoidable due to mounting points being under utilized. The end came suddenly and violently. The first fracture of the cover proceeded laterally and a fraction of a second later a second (COD) fracture made the two remaining fastening points non functioning.

But....the missing Camular Fastner!!! You cannot rule out foul play!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Better not be a 2 parter!!! :silly:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
18 Aug 2008 21:17 - 18 Aug 2008 21:20 #232819 by steell
Jack wrote:

Actually you're all wrong.

I'm willing to bet you'll regret saying that :)

Take another look at the pics.

As to:

He's not familiar with the workings of the bike, so my guess is he removed it while attempting to remove the cover.

I'm still astounded by the "Actually, you're all wrong" statement, even "I" have never had the intestinal fortitude to say something like that. :D

KD9JUR
Last edit: 18 Aug 2008 21:20 by steell.

More
18 Aug 2008 22:42 - 18 Aug 2008 22:44 #232832 by cmmman
steell wrote:

cmmman wrote:

That finned cover is sweet.

Is, or "was" :)

Haahaaa:laugh:

the finned part looks to be intact, faired better than the rest of it. I think i might need to make a mini finned cover for my 650 clutch adjustment screw.

Im interested to see how this turns out.

1977 KZ650B, modified.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2008 22:44 by cmmman.

More
19 Aug 2008 06:37 - 19 Aug 2008 06:38 #232857 by Jack
steell wrote:

Jack wrote:

Actually you're all wrong.

I'm willing to bet you'll regret saying that :)

Take another look at the pics.

As to:

He's not familiar with the workings of the bike, so my guess is he removed it while attempting to remove the cover.

I'm still astounded by the "Actually, you're all wrong" statement, even "I" have never had the intestinal fortitude to say something like that. :D

Please allow me to apologize for a poor choice of words,it's funny how things on the screen don't necessarily come across as intended....

The adjuster screw is gone because it got blown out when the pushrod backed out and broke the sidecover. Mine did exactly the same thing, all that was left was the "casing".

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 06:38 by Jack.

More
19 Aug 2008 06:48 #232859 by BSKZ650
I think the Butler did it, he was having an affair with the upstairs maid in the basement, and was caught by the hidden camera in the corner placed there by the cook...lol

after looking at the pics I think a good inspection of all the parts is needed..

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Aug 2008 08:15 #232877 by Patton
For reference:

KZ900 clutch from kawasaki.com

(shows the pushrod and ball bearing and earlier screw-type adjuster)

[click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2008 08:17 #232879 by Patton
For reference:

79-80 KZ1000 Mark II clutch from kawasaki.com

(shows the pushrod and ball bearing and later screw-type adjuster)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2008 08:27 #232881 by Patton
Regardless of the different type pushrod screw adjusters,
am not understanding what forces are at play to propel a seized pushrod toward the screw adjuster. :unsure:

And what is that piece with the blue stripe? :S

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: