Kz900 Engine casing crack after slight explosion. No clutch activity now.

More
16 Aug 2008 07:46 #232308 by cmmman
That finned cover is sweet.

1977 KZ650B, modified.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2008 07:52 #232309 by steell
cmmman wrote:

That finned cover is sweet.

Is, or "was" :)

KD9JUR

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
16 Aug 2008 08:09 #232315 by Royal1MC
I just notice you didn't have any lower bolts on the the cover,
just the (2) on top.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
16 Aug 2008 08:11 #232316 by Old Man Rock
Steell... "Is or was"... your evil! :evil:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
17 Aug 2008 02:08 #232436 by Nahman
Allright so I went back to where I left the bike with the intentions of taking the cover off. Only problem was I went after I left work and it was sooooo dark outside. Any how I got to work trying to remove. Fiddled around for a while trying to remove some things, wasnt having much luck when I thought I'd try that finned thing on the side of the cover: no good

could someone tell me what this is? is something supposed to be here?
So after I saw that did nothing I became a little more motivated. I refuse to let this bike just sit here. I wasnt having to much luck with the socket wrench (couldn't grip nut) when a friend of mine came through with a gator grip. I removed the top bolts when I noticed what Royal1Mc pointed out; I had no lower bolts. So then I proceed to pull off the casing...wait no I didnt. I pulled and tugged. No result. I looked all around to see if there was any other screws holding it on. I'm assuming there arent, but like I said before I couldnt see to well (1:30 am with no flashlight by then). So I figured It was the shifting pedal holding it on. I couldnt figure out how to take that off either.There was a little nut on the back end of it that I removed, but no result. How do I get it off? So I could only get the top part of the casing off. Then I snapped pics. Sorry if there bad quality but I was taking shots in the dark (literally) I had little idea of what was in the pic until I saw the result.

Under side:

Chain:

Steell I only see one line of chain also. But it didnt seem that loose. whered the other go though? And I think maybe was? I dont know it seemed to be the only undamaged part lol.

What now?

More
17 Aug 2008 02:18 #232437 by Nahman
I just want to also say how great of a resource you guys are. I had a question about the clutch cable and why it was soooo hard to pull in and I found the topic. I'm sure the guy I bought it had changed the cable but i thought it was crazy how hard it was to pull in. Now the cable if frayed busted and superslack. Looks like I'll change that too. How difficult is that? I'll already have the casing off you know.

Oh, one more thing: the kickstarter. I checked what Royal1Mc said and the bike is not in gear. Its in the kick starting gear neutral. Theres absolutely no resistance. Same goes for 2nd gear when the bike before wouldve normally moved forward, when kickstarted. I didnt utilize the clutch when I kickstarted before.

More
17 Aug 2008 04:21 #232439 by Gman
Nahman, where are you located? Someone may be willing to help out if they are close to your area. I'm in central Ohio.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

More
17 Aug 2008 06:09 #232447 by FastKaw1
Im going to go out on a lim here.
My guess is, when the sprocket cover was installed the clutch inner release gear
was not in time with the outer release gear. (worm gears) one tooth off.
If this is the case all you have to do is get a new cover, switch the inner parts over
and you should be good to go. (make sure the gears are in time).

XENU

More
17 Aug 2008 08:41 #232459 by steell
You need to remove the footpeg (two bolts) and remove the shifter (one bolt),
and you must totally remove the shifter bolt. Sometimes the shifter will
pinch the shaft, so you need to stick a small screwdriver in the slot in the
shifter and spread it just a tiny bit so you can slide the shifter off.

If the bottom cover bolts are not installed, the cover "will" break sooner or later.

KD9JUR

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Aug 2008 14:29 #232523 by mark1122
it looks like the clutch adjuster is missing.so the clutch is likely engaged. so once u remove the cove the clutch will dissengage.then u will have resistance at the kickstarter. if u need the clutch adjuster or a cover pm me and i'll hook u up.i should have a spare.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
17 Aug 2008 14:36 #232525 by Royal1MC
Nahman wrote:

could someone tell me what this is? is something supposed
to be here?

The earlier KZ900 had an chain oil pump there, so I am assuming
you have a later KZ900 which doesn't have one. So that's OK.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
17 Aug 2008 19:44 #232576 by steell
After going through this entire thread, and looking at all the pictures again, it occurs to me that the cover broke because the bottom bolts were missing. And your description of the events leading up to the cover breaking seems to support that idea. But you have to take the cover off to verify that nothing else is damaged.

I'd take a close look at the chain while you're there. Is that grease at both ends of the rollers, or something else?

It don't look good anyway.

KD9JUR