Re-Installing Camshafts Problem

More
13 Jan 2008 17:36 #189116 by Little B
Re-Installing Camshafts Problem was created by Little B
I can't seem to get the camshafts re-installed properly. It is almost like there isn't enough chain to let the intake cam rest in its place or something. Is there some technique to putting these back in correctly? I'm following the shop manual's instructions but it just tells me what to do...not how to do it.

There is no slight 'sag' between the sprockets like there was before I removed them. Notice how the intake is bent out on the right side? The red thing is just a WD-40 spray straw that I'm using to count the links. Any ideas?

Another thing the manual says to do is check to make sure the chain is in the front and rear guide. However, I don't see any way to see down there well enough to check because the frame is in the way. Is there some magical way to do this too?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2008 19:08 #189141 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
Chances are you don't have the chain in place on the crank sprocket.

KD9JUR

More
13 Jan 2008 19:23 #189144 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
steell wrote:

Chances are you don't have the chain in place on the crank sprocket.

When I had the cams out, the chain was very loose so I could see how it could have come off somehow. But, how do I go about checking that and fixing it if its an issue?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Jan 2008 19:29 #189147 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
did you remove the cam chain tensioner?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
13 Jan 2008 20:00 #189156 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
kawsakiman wrote:

yeah that would be my stupid question !:P or its balling itself up around crank sprocket;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Jan 2008 20:48 #189159 by Little B
PLUMMEN wrote:

kawsakiman wrote:

yeah that would be my stupid question !:P or its balling itself up around crank sprocket;)

No, I didn't remove the tensioner. I did lock it with a long bolt though. Are you supposed to remove the tensioner completely before re-assembly? The manual doesn't say that but maybe I missed it or something? Thanks for the help guys.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Jan 2008 21:29 #189161 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
Little B wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

kawsakiman wrote:

No, I didn't remove the tensioner. I did lock it with a long bolt though. Are you supposed to remove the tensioner completely before re-assembly? The manual doesn't say that but maybe I missed it or something? Thanks for the help guys.

All these "Automatic Compensating" style camchain adjusters have to be removed and "reset" before you reinstall the cams. When you even loosen the cam caps enough to allow the camchain to allow slack at the back, you must remove and "reset".

More
13 Jan 2008 22:25 #189166 by Little B
modprod wrote:

All these "Automatic Compensating" style camchain adjusters have to be removed and "reset" before you reinstall the cams. When you even loosen the cam caps enough to allow the camchain to allow slack at the back, you must remove and "reset".

Is that true even if it is locked before removing the cams initially?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Jan 2008 22:41 #189169 by modprod
The "hold-down" bolt is always supposed to be locked down after you first releases it after being "reset" to to start position. It should descibe this proceedure in a manual.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2008/01/14 01:43

More
13 Jan 2008 22:54 #189170 by Little B
modprod wrote:

The "hold-down" bolt is always supposed to be locked down after you first releases it after being "reset" to to start position. It should descibe this proceedure in a manual.<br><br>Post edited by: modprod, at: 2008/01/14 01:43

I guess what I don't understand is why I'd need to remove it if I installed a 6mm bolt which made it so that the push rod couldn't move in further to take up the additional slack?

The manual does explain how to lock the tensioner and says to do so before removal of the cams or anything else that will slacken the chain. I did this before even removing the valve cover so I wouldn't think that the tensioner would have moved in any further than it was before I removed the cams. The manual only instructs to lock the tensioner, not remove it. ?? :S

Is it because regardless of how far the push rod is in there already it is something that the chain has to go around?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Jan 2008 22:57 #189171 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Re-Installing Camshafts Problem
thats the simplest way i can think to expain it.it already had tension on chain when you locked it down,2 bolts and a gasket and your problem is solvedB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Jan 2008 23:04 #189172 by modprod
If your manual doesn't descride the "automatic tensioner" reset procedure, you don't have a manual for the motor and parts desciption as your post. Is the tensioner you actually have, the "automatic" style or the "manual" style?

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2008/01/14 02:21