ceramic exhaust?

More
01 Dec 2007 12:45 #183375 by wiredgeorge
ceramic exhaust? was created by wiredgeorge
Anybody had an exhaust ceramic coated? I am considering adding this as a service via our website. If you have thought about it and done any research, you must know that ceramic coating materials are very expensive but that it is the most durable and best looking solution for used pipes... most chrome shops will not rechrome old pipes. How much would you be willing to pay or do you think would be a fair price point; say for a 4 into 1?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2007 13:28 #183380 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic ceramic exhaust?
i recently sent a set of pipes to JETT HOTT and had them apply thier sterling coating,not only am i extremely unhappy with the coating (rust is coming thrue) they shipped me back a header that did not belong to me,mind went to another guy as well,they did nothing to help with finding it,48 days later fed ex found it for me.

More
01 Dec 2007 13:45 #183382 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic ceramic exhaust?
It's definitely something I've been thinking about. I had the headers on my '89 Firebird Jet-Hot coated almost 5 years ago. Today, they have absolutely no rust on them, although the finish has dulled a bit.

It was pretty pricey, though. I got both shortie headers and the "Y" pipe done, it cost 379.00. I'd think a bike header would be less, though.

A new Mac 4-1 for my KZ650 is about 275.00; a Kerker is about 550.00. I'd guess ceramic coating would double the life of the exhaust?

Are you talking about you doing the media blasting, too?

Just off the top of my head, I'd probably be willing to put 1-200 bucks into having my header and muffler done. Would you be offering flat black?

I think the big issue would be turnaround time. When you're having your existing header done, you can't use the bike while it's off being coated.

By the way, why is the Kerker so much more expensive than the Mac?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
01 Dec 2007 13:49 #183383 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic ceramic exhaust?
I would like to have my MAC pipe done in gloss black Ceramic. The black finishes on the market today aren’t worth a squat. I noticed that JetHot has a gloss black Fastestz, tell me more about your problem with JetHot and how much do THEY charge for the service. George, I have been doing the Ceramic on piston crowns for a couple of years and have had varying results with proper bonding. If the coating is not put on just right it has a tendency to "mud Crack" right in the oven when it is being baked on. I do not want to be a stick in the mud but I hope you know what you are in fore.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
01 Dec 2007 14:01 #183385 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic ceramic exhaust?
i cant remember how much they charged me i do remember it was expensive, when i finally did recieve my pipes it looked like they were not cure enough when i called them that they assured me they were cured to go ahead and use them, at first i thought it was a jetting problem but after a few months it was/is definitly rusting,im not saying no one should have thier pipes ceramic coated just make sure they are done by a stand up company,i have read on sum hot rod forums guys had the same problems i had with JETT HOTT

More
03 Dec 2007 07:02 #183647 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic ceramic exhaust?
Still looking to see how much folks would be willing to pay for ceramic coating. Not sure which colors will be offered nor turn around at this point. Just trying to figure out if this is worth my time. The work will be done by a 3rd party who also does ceramic coating for a major pipe manufacturer. A real nice guarantee would be offered.

With 10K members, I would think lots of folks would have opinions on this issue. If there is no interest, when you need a set of pipes coated, you can turn to Jet Hot who will charge more than what you would pay for a new set or you can rattle can your pipes with BBQ paint.

fastestZ1, I am not asking about your experience with Jet Hot... The service I was thinking about would include the proper prep and a guarantee.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Dec 2007 07:13 #183649 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic ceramic exhaust?
Had my Murray Spider ( 5 pieces) pipe recoated two years ago. $ 214.50 CDN including shipping & taxes to my door. Old coating removed,pickled to clean off any old crap residue inside & out and ceramic silver coat.Best thing I ever did with it,had bad experience with Jet Hot as well fwiw.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
03 Dec 2007 08:00 #183657 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic ceramic exhaust?
WG...consider me interested...it will depend upon upon the available color(s). The prices I've seen on a ceramic coating site for 4into1 headers are very attractive.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
03 Dec 2007 08:50 #183661 by tjk
Replied by tjk on topic ceramic exhaust?
What would interest me would be something equal to what you get with several brands of headers for cars: a lifetime warraranty on the pipes if you purchase them with the ceramic coating.

FIDO

More
03 Dec 2007 09:29 #183666 by seanof30306
wiredgeorge wrote:

Still looking to see how much folks would be willing to pay for ceramic coating. Not sure which colors will be offered nor turn around at this point. Just trying to figure out if this is worth my time. The work will be done by a 3rd party who also does ceramic coating for a major pipe manufacturer. A real nice guarantee would be offered.

With 10K members, I would think lots of folks would have opinions on this issue. If there is no interest, when you need a set of pipes coated, you can turn to Jet Hot who will charge more than what you would pay for a new set or you can rattle can your pipes with BBQ paint.

fastestZ1, I am not asking about your experience with Jet Hot... The service I was thinking about would include the proper prep and a guarantee.

George, why put the onus on members, then get frustrated when you don't get what you're looking for?

You have a vendor in mind, find out from the vendor what it will cost you, calculate in what you believe would be a fair profit, outline the price, warranty and turnaround you project on here, and ask how many people would be interested.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
03 Dec 2007 09:56 #183669 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic ceramic exhaust?
Maybe Inline4 can weigh in on this. His Kerker looked great when he got it back from the coater. How is it holding up? How much did it cost (this might provide a baseline cost estimate)? His pictures (below) might drum up some interest:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...13/id,162780/#162780

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Dec 2007 10:16 #183671 by seanof30306
650ed wrote:

Maybe Inline4 can weigh in on this. His Kerker looked great when he got it back from the coater. How is it holding up? How much did it cost (this might provide a baseline cost estimate)? His pictures (below) might drum up some interest:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...13/id,162780/#162780

In the thread, he says he paid 300.00, plus shipping

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing