Low compression, weighing options.

More
23 Oct 2007 07:56 #177783 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Low compression, weighing options.
Patton wrote:

Thinking "honing" is simply de-glazing cylinder walls so new rings can seat. And that boring (not honing) is needed to bring an oval cylinder to specs. Could result in a "de-glazed" oval bore. :(

Perhaps the machine shop was engaged to do a valve job and to de-glaze the cylinder walls with a honing brush, but not requested to measure the bores or test fitment of pistons or rings. :)

Is re-sleeving not a feasible option? :unsure:

I believe yer right here General... He did say "honed" and not "bored". He may now have perfectly cleaned, oval bores... would explain why he said the rings were within spec when inserted, why he felt no upper cyl. groove or elevation change yet still have poor compression readings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
23 Oct 2007 08:22 #177790 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Low compression, weighing options.
wrenchmonkey wrote:

Patton wrote:

Thinking "honing" is simply de-glazing cylinder walls so new rings can seat. And that boring (not honing) is needed to bring an oval cylinder to specs. Could result in a "de-glazed" oval bore. :(

Perhaps the machine shop was engaged to do a valve job and to de-glaze the cylinder walls with a honing brush, but not requested to measure the bores or test fitment of pistons or rings. :)

Is re-sleeving not a feasible option? :unsure:

I believe yer right here General... He did say "honed" and not "bored". He may now have perfectly cleaned, oval bores... would explain why he said the rings were within spec when inserted, why he felt no upper cyl. groove or elevation change yet still have poor compression readings.

Yep. This is the theory I am operating on right now. You are correct that the cyls were NOT bored, just honed (de-glazed). And I never asked the machine shop to check for round. Woulda shoulda coulda. ;) So that's why I'm thinking that they may be ovaled.

West Linn, OR

More
24 Oct 2007 05:09 #177861 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Low compression, weighing options.
depending upon the shop and who did the work, if they just used the "ball" type hone then it will only lightly deglaze the cyl, which could be a reason that the rings did not seat.
If they used a spring type hone, looks like a big brake hone, then the cyls are prob out of round still.
And last if they used a sunnen hone the cyls will be round and at this point way over spec in bore size, but you said you checked ring gap, how did you make sure the rings were square to the bore when you checked them?
are you sure that you did not break the top rings during assembly, it would be odd to get all four of them but just asking

Last I have seen bad rings before, its not very common, but I have seen it and no matter what you do they are not going to seal and you will be burning oil

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob